Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A few Questions ???  (Read 14447 times)

sharris

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
A few Questions ???
« on: March 13, 2011, 06:40:33 AM »

Hello everybody!

I am about to purchase the PlanetCam: Motion-Activated PC/Web 1-Camera System for only $99.00.  This IS  mind-blowing, but I'm not sure I understand all of what the Ad  is saying.

I thought this(PC/Web 1-Camera System) would allow me to view a room in my home from my PC just like a simple Web Cam or Nanny Cam from my PC in another room.  This X10 Ad stress how this can be done from the INTERNET and said nothing of Web-CAM it don't seem.
http://www.x10.com/promotions/xx16a_planetcam_hmp.html?TWENTY11

So I read into the Forum than found a clue to a link.

Using Your Camera as a Web Cam:
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Using_Your_Camera_as_a_Web_Cam

The Knowledge-base tells me I need a Digital Video Converter and it pointed me here where the word **Converter** is used only once:

http://www.x10.com/cameras/cameras_software.html

XRay Vision Camera Software:
XRay Vision Software will allow you to view what your cameras see on your PC ...  Watch LIVE COLOR video on your PC ... $84.99
Now things are getting complicated:
The first link I posted also say for $149.00 you get Vanguard Internet Control Center Software... So what do I need XRay Vision Camera Software for???

Is a Digital Video Converter already included in the $99.00 deal?  Or can I achieve Web-Cam capabilities with tools I already own?

For now I can only do what I can afford.  X10 has it all it seems, so in the near future I plan to grow using X10 high-end wired/wireless equipment and tools.  Also, right now even computing Videos itself is all new to me.  For me, it's more about practice before taking the leap.  After my Network Administration class is over I plan to have one of my computers running the Apache Web-Server... Can I use my own web-server?

What ever the case count me and my entire crew IN!!! 

javascript:void(0);
HAPPY

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: A few Questions ???
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 08:42:03 AM »

Well I can answer one of your questions.

The VA12A is in the Planet Cam Kit. The wiki referrs to the older VA11A Digital Converter. The VA12A is its replacement and has better specifications. Though it does require a USB 2.0  port not the 1.1 the VA11A could use.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 10:28:12 AM »

X10 has many flavors of web cam software.
The oldest being the free Xray software.(I'm not sure if this even works with the new USB video adaptor they sell)
In most cases you'll only need the camera and video input device USB if you go the wired route.
If you go the wireless rout your going to need a 2.4 wireless video receiver some kits com with these.

Note: You don't need the video capture device X10 sells unless you plan on using there software.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

sharris

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 11:55:27 AM »

So, the ad near the top of the page inside the little window to the right is PlanetCams.  Than were is X10 XCam2 Instant-On Camera or do X10 only do the software thing.  The main web-site page is getting very confusing.  It's like two or three companies but X10 doing the talking with no lead to what is what or who's, who or where do I send the check and will it fall into the right hands... but thanks for the details you guys already provided.  It helping to clear a few thing up.

http://www.x10.com/promotions/xx16a_planetcam_hmp.html?TWENTY11

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 12:32:04 PM »

Just below the price tag and the add to cart buttons.
Pick "what's included". You will see all the items in the kit.
The camera and receiver along with other items and what software is included. Ara all listed in the "What's Included" listing.
If you click on the add to cart. It will take you to where the whole order is processed. Including shipping choices and payment arrangements.

Yes X10 has many different combinations and web pages. Many have similar offers, though not completely the same.

Don't worry about payment. Any page where you use add to cart will get you to the check out area.

Many questions on ordering and payments can be found here.
http://www.x10.com/support/support.htm
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 12:39:21 PM by Brian H »

sharris

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 12:54:22 PM »

Thanks!

sharris

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 02:03:02 PM »

One more question.  Is there a link that shows video clips of how to set-up on a Desktop and Laptop?  For the link posted above it's all about DVR's or something.  I never got pass the VCR back in the day.  But I did know the 8-Track well :)  My only interest is making it work on my computers.

BTW: I don't want to scare him away before the camera roll ... It will only run for a few minutes when it detect motion while I'm away.  I just want to see which of my buddies stole my bikes. I'm sure he plan for more.   I also repair computers and who knows what a customer would do if he see one of those i5 laying around.   heehee

I lost two bikes so far.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 02:13:00 PM by sharris »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 02:43:31 PM »

Check utube.
You'll find many X10 videos there!
I can't be certain there will be one that helps but thats the first place I'd look!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

sharris

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 04:02:53 PM »

Thanks... All I got to say is I never seen a site so big that can hold your interest ALL DAY LONG!  I'm learn about stuff so easy that I could not catch on to back in high-school.  Even those tech-pages read like I'm watching the computer videos already.  This place is INSANE!

http://forums.x10.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=3r6dr3godqa0dr3a0cj25tebd4&topic=10700.0

And this guy got all his hardware connected to his PC:
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=18137.0

Great job X10

Thanks again everyone

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 05:36:02 PM »

Thanks... All I got to say is I never seen a site so big that can hold your interest ALL DAY LONG!  I'm learn about stuff so easy that I could not catch on to back in high-school.  Even those tech-pages read like I'm watching the computer videos already.  This place is INSANE!

Yeah, sounds easy doesn't it?

You might want to peruse the "Cameras and Camera Software" portion of this forum. X10's cameras, particularly the wireless units produce video commiserate with their price and tend to be problematic in their setup. Nice cameras, but they are not the "Plug-N-Play" devices the X10 web site leads you to believe.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

sharris

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 08:02:08 AM »

Sorry to hear and learn that ...

Well, all of those ad's with difference offers some how caused some kind of blaster on my IP.  I only had dozen of X10 offer pages and the forum open and absolutely no pages from any other web-sites.  That was even after a clean boot yesterday when all was well.  I click another Special offer minutes ago and had to shut down my Opera and IE browsers.  At re-start, all hell broke loose.

Also when I call the sale department twice yesterday, after a full ½ hour of waiting each time, no one answered and they even stop playing the music after the android voice type offer that made me feel like part of the old "Lost in Space Movie".  I guest they thought I was one of those people who had a complain ... but I was actually a want-to-be customer!

ERROR:
"The most likely cause of this issue is a ~blaster~ type virus which has infected the device. It is strongly recommended that the devices above be scanned for potential viruses."iserate ...

I guest they are trying a bit too hard and need to calm-down before they run everybody away.  A deal is not a deal if it don't work.  People of my class don't mind paying a decent low, but fair price for what do work out the box.  Now X10 offer to replace a $99.00 special with a $69.00 special that is suppose of the same type (but possible nothing but the shell or a dummy to cause more problems)... I'm sorry to say but it's getting kind of ridiculous.  If you want to see the web-page click "ACCEPT COUPON" and get BLASTED!!! If you don't click, you can not continue... GOSH!!!  Even Google or Dollar-Bill Gates don't follow you that hard...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 08:15:27 AM by sharris »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 04:27:24 PM »

A deal is not a deal if it don't work. 
Generally, everything X10 makes, works. But it is not what you would call "Plug-N-Play". You are likely to have setup problems, which can be fixed, but will take more effort than what the X10 web ads imply. (Again) generally the problems you run in to are not problems X10 can foresee and a "silver bullet" does not exist.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 12:43:11 AM »

ERROR:
"The most likely cause of this issue is a ~blaster~ type virus which has infected the device. It is strongly recommended that the devices above be scanned for potential viruses."iserate ...

That error sounds to me like you already had some malware on your machine that's trying to get you to buy some bogus anti-virus software (free trial) that will make your machine even worse.   :'
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.