Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Help controlling simple light switches  (Read 19267 times)

ViDD

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Help controlling simple light switches
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2011, 09:38:50 PM »

@ Dave,

...If you do not have neutral, you might be able to use Socket Rockets in the fixtures themselves to control the CFLs.

Did the specs for the Socket Rockets change? The LM15A pdf says "2.  Screw an incandescent light bulb (up to 150W) into the LM15A. Do NOT use with fluorescent lamps!" 

Do others have specific experience using the LM15A with CFLs?

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2011, 09:56:06 PM »

I have several LM15's with CFLs in them, no problems what so ever.  The only caveat is some CFLs will burn out the triac in the LM15A making it useless.  Not every brand of CFL does that though. 
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2011, 09:58:42 PM »

Mine too works with a CFL, however, your mileage may vary.   ;)
 >!
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2011, 09:19:22 AM »

Did the specs for the Socket Rockets change? The LM15A pdf says "2.  Screw an incandescent light bulb (up to 150W) into the LM15A. Do NOT use with fluorescent lamps!"  

Do others have specific experience using the LM15A with CFLs?
No the specs did not change.

The Socket Rocket uses a triac, electronic switch, to supply current to the bulb. All triacs, even when gated "full on" (no dimming) add a small amount of distortion to the AC wave form when they turn ON at each AC half cycle. Incandescent bulbs could give a rip about any distortion.

However some CFLs and LED bulbs may not like this distortion, so X10, IMHO, does a liability CYB and states only usable with incandescent bulbs. So you use a Socket Rocket CFL combination at your own risk. But I use Socket Rockets with CFLs (GE brand) and even wall wart switching power supplies with out consequence. However I did have consequence when I used Socket Rockets to drive transformer based wall warts (it took a year, but the cases melted because the small distortion made the transformer run hotter than normal).

Experiment using the CFL in a Socket Rocket. Check the bulb after a few hours of operation for excessive heat or smell.  I have no problems with GE 23W and 13W CFL bulbs. Like Bill said "your mileage may vary".

Also, I had difficulty programming the HCUC in a Socket Rocket with a CFL bulb installed. Worked fine after I subbed a 60W incandescent for programming,  then switched to the CFL. Since the SR has both hot and neutral in the light socket I can't explain why I had problems programming, but I ran into this more than once.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 09:25:16 AM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2011, 12:27:30 PM »

I have tested a few brands of CFLs and LEDs. With a Socket Rocket and my XTBM. Some do generate more power line noise when on the Socket Rocket. Probably the slightly distorted AC waveform or the small coil in the output is making the difference.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2011, 01:10:41 PM »

I have tested a few brands of CFLs and LEDs. With a Socket Rocket and my XTBM. Some do generate more power line noise when on the Socket Rocket. Probably the slightly distorted AC waveform or the small coil in the output is making the difference.

Maybe.
But when programming, the CFL is unpowered, and the SR is connected directly to the line. I'm now thinking it might have been a cockpit problem at my end. In each instance I was using a Maxi Controller to program. Next time I try programming with a CFL I will try a different Maxi to eliminate that unknown.
Thanks!
"This aftershave makes me look fat"
Pages: 1 2 [3]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.