Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1st time user, having trouble with lamp, appliance mods and WS467  (Read 3670 times)

stoney0817

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

As you will see I am completely new to X10 and how the systems function.  I recently purchase a starter kit from X10 that included:
1 Palm pad remote  HR12A
3 Lamp modules   LM465
3 appliance mod   AM486
1 Transceiver    TM751
2  wall switches  WS467

What I am trying to accomplish is to control:  my wall lights in my theater ( 1 WS467), the overhead lights in my game area (1 WS467), 1 set of cabinet lights (AM486) I only want these to turn off and on no dimming, 1 set of under counter top bar lights (AM486), 1 floor lamp (1 LM465), 1 table lamp (1 LM465), and 1 set of lights in my humidor cabinet (AM486) again these only want a on/off capability.  On the phone the X10 sales person told me this kit has everything I need to make this work.  I started installing today and I have run into problem after problem.  So far I have the floor lamp, table lamp and light set in the humidor cabinet functioning off the remote and they work great.  Problem number one, the two modules for the under counter lights and under cabinet lights will not work at all from the remote, I have tried different codes, different outlets, and even different things plugged into them and I get nothing.  After almost pulling my hair out over this issue, I figured I would move to the wall switch, after being installed it worked great, I had to have dimmed and brightened the lights 15 times showing off for my kids, and now all of a sudden they will not work from the Palm Pad remote, the switch itself will turn them off, on and dim but the remote doesn't do anything.  I guess I just need some direction from people that have set these type of systems up.  At this point with only half of the system functioning, I don't know if the salesman was truthful when he said this is all I would need.  I don't mind spending the money to get what I need but I want a system that I know will function correctly all the time.  Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: 1st time user, having trouble with lamp, appliance mods and WS467
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 06:49:07 AM »

What the X10 sales person did not tell you is power line signal issues can effect communications.

Most homes are wired split single phase. With half the home on each phase.
For the X10 signals to get to the other phase. They have to travel all the way to the street transformer and back on the other phase.
Also things like TVs Computers and many electronic devices can make power line noise or absrobe X10 signals.

Rough test for phase. Try turning on a 240 volt appliance like a dryer or stove and see if things get better. You may need a coupler or coupler /repeater between the phases.

WS467s an LM465s should only be used on incandescent type bulbs.

Few troubleshooting links:
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm
http://www.act-remote.com/PCC/uncle.htm
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=9899.msg57946

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.