Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: effective wireless range / module selection (2 way?)  (Read 11085 times)

freeballer

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
effective wireless range / module selection (2 way?)
« on: May 02, 2011, 07:56:56 PM »

I have two question about my new activehome pro and which modules I should get.

First, how far is the range of a typical module/homebase? I had an idea to put a motion/light sensor in my mailbox to alert me when the mailbox is opened. Its roughly 100-150ft away from the house. <- I'm not asking about the motion sensor's effective range but the wireless signal range.

Second, someone had told me the "poll"-able two-way modules were no longer produced/manufactured.. Is that true? I saw they were available on x10.com...

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: effective wireless range / module selection (2 way?)
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 09:45:19 PM »

First, how far is the range of a typical module/homebase?

Second, someone had told me the "poll"-able two-way modules were no longer produced/manufactured.. Is that true? I saw they were available on x10.com...
What are you calling "homebase".  TM751? RR501? CM15A? The CM15A has the poorest range.

X10 range is very limited. Without antenna modifications, unobstructed range is maybe 50 feet. Less if going through walls. There are plans on this forum for modifying the CM15A receive antenna and adding passive radiators and "blow gun" antenna mods to the xxxEye style motion sensors, but even with these mods I think 150 ft would be pushing it.

X10 has not made 2-way modules in 5-6 years. Where did you see them on X10.com?
Smarthome.com does have X10 protocol modules which transmits back status changes.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 07:33:39 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

freeballer

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 01:52:24 AM »

cm15a USB. How complicated are the builds? I have a little soldering experience but not much else. It might be closer to 100ft and only one wall really in middle of it. Any peticular model of motion sensors are best?

I saw the two way in the x10 activehome app and on other sites. When I googled the model no# it says it was not manufactered for a while.. are Smarthome.com "backward compatible" with x10?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 06:09:04 AM »

The Smarthome 2000 series X10 compatible modules are also long gone.
The Insteon and Icon lines do except an X10 Primary Address programmed into them and are two way.
They will respond to a status request and send a power line signal when locally toggled.
The dimmer versions are not exactly like the X10s.

The Insteon implementation of X10  is based on an "old" x10 protocol similar to that used by the PCS Smartswitches. These devices used "preset Dim" and standard "Dim" commands.
X10 brand, Leviton, and other manufacturers conform to a "newer" X10 standard that uses "extended code Direct Dim" and standard "Dim" commands.
When you locally dim an Insteon module it will send a %dim on the power line that the X10 controller will not respond to.

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 10:03:08 AM »

There are plans on this forum for modifying the CM15A receive antenna and adding passive radiators and "blow gun" antenna mods to the xxxEye sttle motion sensors, but even with these mods I think 150 ft would be pushing it.

The only way that I got that kind of range using the "blow gun dart mod" was using the v572 receiver.  The cm15 wouldn't pick it up.  Now all my signals get received by the v572 and then relays to the cm15.  Just thought I would let you know.
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 10:23:29 AM »

hawk1; I had forgotten about the WGL V572. It has a very good long RF distance reputation and does all 16 house codes.

hawk1

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 10:28:17 AM »

Brian, bought one and never looked back!  Couldn't be more pleased with it.  If someone wants range from "rf" then this would be the critter to get!  IMOP   >!

Alan V

• Helpful Post Rating: 8
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 12:20:26 PM »

Brian, bought one and never looked back!  Couldn't be more pleased with it.  If someone wants range from "rf" then this would be the critter to get!  IMOP   >!

I also use a WGL V572.  I completely agree.

freeballer

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 07:26:48 PM »

that might be a future purchase but until I get some range issues elsewhere its expensive just for an item on my "would be nice" list. Its nice to see there are some options in case though. Reg the modding, I haven't found the article suggested in the replies. Anyone have a link?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 07:35:04 PM »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 07:39:16 PM »

I haven't found the article suggested in the replies. Anyone have a link?
Search: "CM15A range", "antenna", "passive radiator", "passive repeater" "F connector".

The simplest mod is to wrap a few turns of an 18 inch wire around the CM15A antenna and let the rest of the wire hang.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

freeballer

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 01:50:51 AM »

much appreciated! thank you for the link, and advice.
There are so many mods, and brilliant ideas here my next week day off I'm going to sit down and bookmark some of these projects.

Alish

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 11:51:26 AM »

hawk1; I had forgotten about the WGL V572. It has a very good long RF distance reputation and does all 16 house codes.

Are you talking about this. no doubt this version have very good RF which can cover very good distance.

hawk1

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 12:54:50 PM »

Thats the one!   If you need to receive security signals make sure you get the right one!  :)%

Alish

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 04:53:33 PM »

Thats the one!   If you need to receive security signals make sure you get the right one!  :)%

Thanks! Ya surely i will try to catch the right one for better result.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.