Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Playing a wav file on another PC  (Read 8458 times)

schmuttis

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Playing a wav file on another PC
« on: May 20, 2011, 01:04:56 PM »

Using a windows command, is it possible to play a sound on another PC? If so, how would one go about it?

I run the x10 software in an upstairs office and it would be nice to be notified on the kitchen computer (downstairs) that motion was detected in the driveway. I do have a macro that runs when an eagle eye detects motion so I would just need to add the command to play a sound to that smart macro.

I do have chimes that ring with the macro but I would like to differentiate which motion detector was triggered.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Deemar

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Re: Playing a wav file on another PC
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 01:14:13 PM »

You'd need to open a port on the network to send the notification through and a daemon to poll the port regularly for new events. Anything can be done, it depends on how good you are with code or how deep your pockets are.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 01:44:55 PM »

Using a windows command, is it possible to play a sound on another PC? If so, how would one go about it?

I run the x10 software in an upstairs office and it would be nice to be notified on the kitchen computer (downstairs) that motion was detected in the driveway. I do have a macro that runs when an eagle eye detects motion so I would just need to add the command to play a sound to that smart macro.

I do have chimes that ring with the macro but I would like to differentiate which motion detector was triggered.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Look into PSEXEC. It is part of the PSTOOLS suite that you can get free from Microsoft.

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 01:58:04 PM »

This can be done several ways. The above will work.  Also if you wanted to give iHouse a try you can do this fairly simple.  iHouse server can run a program or music etc.... on any iHouse client.  The documentation is well written on how to do this.  http://www.ihousehomeautomation.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=33
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

schmuttis

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 05:52:11 PM »

Noam, thanks for the suggestion. I'll look into it. It's probably my easiest solution.

hawk1, at first I thought you were referring to x10.com's MyHouse but I think you are directing me to some open source X10 software. Is that correct? If so, the timing couldn't be better. I've totally sworn off x10.com software. After all of the time, sweat and energy I put into getting AHP, Vanguard, SmartMacros and MyHouse installed and working, I think I could have started with the sdk and been further along. Is there a good "getting started" page that you would be able to direct me to?

hawk1

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 06:25:33 PM »

When you download iHouse all the docs will be in the c:\program files\iHouse\docs

And yes it is open source now.  All the docs are very well written, you shouldn't have a problem, but if you do sign up at the iHouse forum and we will sure help. (if we can)   :)

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 06:38:20 PM »

The one thing you can't do with the SDK is download programming to the CM15A. All of your timers and macros must be run from your program.

schmuttis

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 09:53:43 PM »

I thank both of you.

hawk1

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 11:27:29 PM »

You are welcome!  We try!    >!

aussie mate

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2011, 08:03:35 PM »

Another option you may want to look at is the MyServant software. It allows you to play music or announcements on any PC that is connected to your home network.

It also has some other nice features that you may like....

See http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=22684.0

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.