Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Can I daisy chain two windows to the DS12A sensor?  (Read 10616 times)

ratchet

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Can I daisy chain two windows to the DS12A sensor?
« on: May 28, 2011, 12:59:14 PM »

I suspect that I can as there are two screw terminals.  I don't have enough room for the DS12 between the crank windows and the screens that are mounted inside the house.  They are side by side so I'd like to daisy chain then like http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Adding_A_Switch_To_A_Door_Sensor!  I am assuming that the magnet switches are narrower than the DS12's 1 5/8" width.  I can't find the wiki for the DS10A so I don't know the dimensions of the magnet switches.  Now I could just take the screens out and mount the sensors when traveling.  Relative to that, I have another question.  I understand how to disable a zone, but how do you re-enable the zone?  Thank you!    

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
Re: Can I daisy chain two windows to the DS12A sensor?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2011, 01:33:37 PM »

Yes.   :)
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 01:44:42 PM »

I understand how to disable a zone, but how do you re-enable the zone?  Thank you!    
Install

ftp://ftp.x10.com/pub/manuals/SC1200-OM.pdf
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

ratchet

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 02:08:34 PM »

I understand how to disable a zone, but how do you re-enable the zone?  Thank you!    
Install

ftp://ftp.x10.com/pub/manuals/SC1200-OM.pdf
I have read the manual but I am finding the restore part kind of vague.  So let's say I remove zone 3 but now I want it operational again.  While in the Install Zone mode, do I select zone 3 (touch pad key 3), then move the magnet away from the sensor (from any location in the house)?  Thank you!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 02:15:49 PM »

The Screw Terminals in a DS12A is a completely different zone from the built in one.
So removing the jumper does not connect the internal switch to the external switch.
If you use both the internal and external one. You register each as a separate zone.

On my doors where the DS12A does not fit. I just used the external one with a Seco-Larm SM-431-T Large Gap Magnetic Switch. With the DS12A mounted beside the door. Never using the magnet supplied with the DS12A and not registering the internal zones.
So I used the install zone choice and just opened the external zone for each door. To install it and never had the magnet next to the internal one.

I have never done it myself but picking the zone in the install menu with the keypad and then opening the zone. Does sound correct.
Like Install.
Key in 3
Open the sensor you desire to have in the Zone 3 position.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 02:27:19 PM by Brian H »

hawk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 02:25:25 PM »

Sorry, I missed part of the question.  Didn't even see it.  I need glasses.  Oh, I have glasses, just wasn't wearing them.  Again, sorry.
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

ratchet

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 03:48:45 PM »

The Screw Terminals in a DS12A is a completely different zone from the built in one.
So removing the jumper does not connect the internal switch to the external switch.
If you use both the internal and external one. You register each as a separate zone.

On my doors where the DS12A does not fit. I just used the external one with a Seco-Larm SM-431-T Large Gap Magnetic Switch. With the DS12A mounted beside the door. Never using the magnet supplied with the DS12A and not registering the internal zones.
So I used the install zone choice and just opened the external zone for each door. To install it and never had the magnet next to the internal one.

I have never done it myself but picking the zone in the install menu with the keypad and then opening the zone. Does sound correct.
Like Install.
Key in 3
Open the sensor you desire to have in the Zone 3 position.
Brian, I am confused now.  It doesn't matter to me if the two windows are considered one zone or each window is a zone.  What I need to understand is if I mount the sensor between the two windows in this image, can I hardwire from the sensor (there are two screw terminals in the sensor) to a terminal on a switch (view the link in post #1) then from the second terminal on that switch to another switch (switch/window #2) then back to the sensor?  I edit!  I just spoke with bigjohn9944, an ebay dealer where I'm going to purchase the switches and magnets.  I understand what you were trying to tell me, i.e. that the 12A sensor will still needed armed with a magnet (say zone 1 but actually just a dumbie zone) then the double windows would be zones 2 & 3.  Thanks! 

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 05:09:03 PM by ratchet »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 06:03:00 PM »

Just like the link in your first post. Two external switches in series can be wired to the two DS12A terminals.

DS12A Terminal ------ first magnetic switch--------second magnetic switch-----------Other DS12A Terminal.

Open either switch and the zone will be violated.

The internal switch in the DS12A can be ignored if you are not using it and you don't have to have the supplied magnet next to the DS12A for the external switches to work correctly.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 06:31:34 PM by Brian H »

ratchet

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 06:30:51 PM »

You can ignore the internal switch in the DS12A if you don't register it.

The internal switch and any switch on the external connections are registered as two different zones.

Just like the link in your first post. Two external switches in series can be wired to the two DS12A terminals.

DS12A Terminal ------ first magnetic switch--------second magnetic switch-----------Other DS12A Terminal.

Zone numbers are not absolute. The next sensor added is the next highest zone unless you input exactly where you want it registered.

Thanks Brian!  So I wouldn't even have to keep the magnet (that came with the sensor) next to the sensor, correct?  bigjohn9944 sells the sets (switch and magnet for three bucks.  Of course now I'll have a couple of extra magnets!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 06:37:11 PM »

Correct.
I have my magnets in box storage.

The large gap switches, I used come with matching magnets.

Though the magnet may come in handy sometime. If you ever have a situation where you want to protect a window opened a few inches for air flow. A second magnet in the open position can still keep the zone protected.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 06:41:30 PM by Brian H »

ratchet

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 07:12:31 PM »

Correct.
I have my magnets in box storage.

The large gap switches, I used come with matching magnets.

Though the magnet may come in handy sometime. If you ever have a situation where you want to protect a window opened a few inches for air flow. A second magnet in the open position can still keep the zone protected.
Cool!  No pun intended!

Blaze85

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 12:45:35 AM »

You can ignore the internal switch in the DS12A if you don't register it.

The internal switch and any switch on the external connections are registered as two different zones.

Zone numbers are not absolute. The next sensor added is the next highest zone unless you input exactly where you want it registered.

Any Chance you can do this with a third switch? I have attached an image of what I am trying to do. I have two of the three working but can't figure out how to wire that third switch. Thanks for the help.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 06:00:35 AM »

Sure.
Disconnect one of the wires on the Downstairs Window and connect it to one of the Downstairs Door connections. Then connect the other Downstairs Door connection to where you removed the wire on the Downstairs Window.

Panel ---- Outside Garage ------ Downstairs Window ------ Downstairs Door -------> back to Panel.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 06:13:07 AM by Brian H »

Blaze85

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 04:10:16 PM »

Thank You. This worked great.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.