Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The M13 Saga…  (Read 16232 times)

JeffVolp

• Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
The M13 Saga…
« on: June 25, 2011, 02:47:33 PM »

I had been working on the XTB-232 firmware to confirm it works with HomeSeer, and started to see a log of M13 commands.  Comparing the HomeSeer log against the XTBM, the commands were actually the periodic G16 ON and OFF commands to refresh our hot water loop.

The other anomaly was the last batch of XTB-IIRs I had tested did not repeat my weak test command when I injected background noise.  However, checking with the scope showed the incoming command was only about half the normal amplitude, and was below the detection threshold when the noise was injected.

Today while investigating why the XTB-232 was decoding the G16 ON and OFF as M13 (which is indicative of noise dominating on alternate half cycles), I discovered the cause was the Acer LCD monitor that replaced an aging 14” CRT monitor.  Instead of plugging the new monitor into filtered power going to the computer UPS, I had just swapped the original power cord into the new monitor.  That was plugged into an unfiltered power strip.

The new Acer LCD monitor was loading down the signal on this circuit to less than half the normal amplitude (as seen on the scope), and was apparently generating enough noise to corrupt my weak test signal, even though the noise was not strong enough to be detected by the XTBM.

With the Acer monitor plugged into the XPPF feeding the UPS, the XTB-232 now detects the G16 ON and OFF just fine.  (Those incoming commands are also weak because they are leaking onto the isolated circuit that I use for X10 testing).

Bottom line, even I can overlook an “unfriendly device”.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: The M13 Saga…
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 03:17:58 PM »

Well I can't speak for everyone, but I have done it myself and we are trained to ask "What has changed"?  ;D

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 10:11:36 PM »

The XTB-232? That's your "replacement" for the CM11A, right?

JeffVolp

• XTB Home Page
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 10:35:06 PM »

Yes.  There is another beta unit going out Monday.

It isn't a "replacement" for the CM11A as it does not support any of the controller functions, such as timed events and macros.  It is intended as RS232 powerline interface for PC-based automation systems, such a HomeSeer.

Jeff
« Last Edit: June 25, 2011, 10:37:27 PM by JeffVolp »

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 07:12:07 AM »

Yes.  There is another beta unit going out Monday.

It isn't a "replacement" for the CM11A as it does not support any of the controller functions, such as timed events and macros.  It is intended as RS232 powerline interface for PC-based automation systems, such a HomeSeer.

Jeff
Jeff -
I may have missed this in an earlier thread, but since AHP now supports the CM11A, can you used the XTB-232 with it, as a controller?
Can the XTB-232 plug into the XTB-IIR?

JeffVolp

• XTB Home Page
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2011, 09:57:42 AM »

I may have missed this in an earlier thread, but since AHP now supports the CM11A, can you used the XTB-232 with it, as a controller?
Can the XTB-232 plug into the XTB-IIR?

I don't know about ActiveHome Pro, but I have tested it with ActiveHome on my old laptop.  (I could never get ActiveHome to work though the serial port on my XP system.)  Since I don't use the CM15A myself, I have not kept abreast of the AHP updates.  My copy dates back a couple of years to when I was verifying the XTB-IIR would repeat extended codes sent by the CM15A.

The XTB-232 outputs over 30Vpp, and was intended to plug directly into the powerline.  The X10 Boost input on the XTB-IIR was not designed to accept that strong a signal because it is over 20 times that produced by a typical X10 transmitter.

Jeff

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2011, 05:23:50 PM »

The XTB-232 outputs over 30Vpp, and was intended to plug directly into the powerline.  The X10 Boost input on the XTB-IIR was not designed to accept that strong a signal because it is over 20 times that produced by a typical X10 transmitter.

Jeff
So with that high of an output, would you just use the XTB-232 and a passive coupler?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

JeffVolp

• XTB Home Page
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2011, 05:56:17 PM »

So with that high of an output, would you just use the XTB-232 and a passive coupler?

That should work fine for smaller homes.  For larger homes the XTB-232 can provide a reliable interface near the computer, and a repeater can be used instead of a passive coupler.

Jeff

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2011, 07:40:15 PM »

Jeff

Dang, I bet your readings on the XTBM are pegged at that high of an output.  What is the highest the XTBM will read?
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2011, 07:50:45 PM »

I believe it is 9.99 volts on mine.

JeffVolp

• XTB Home Page
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2011, 11:19:41 PM »

Yes, 9.99Vpp.  There is a tradeoff between resolution and full-scale range.  I believe resolution in the critical range below 1Vpp is more important than displaying voltages above 10Vpp.  Even at that, a gain switch is used to increase low-end accuracy.

Jeff

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.