Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Does it work for somebody?  (Read 23412 times)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Does it work for somebody?
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2011, 04:37:50 PM »

go "astray" on regular basis   looks a signal amp might solve all my problems?  REPEATER!!!!!!!!!!!!  Going to add some copper wires to my most distant door/window sensors   lets see....

Unfortunately no one makes a RF repeater for X10.

I do think you may have some fringe range problems. But are the two problem sensors DS12? If so I would "fiddle" with the magnets. As far as strange sounds from the console, that was one of the complaints that apeared to be resloved when X10 exchanged the unit. If you have not exchanged the console, I would try hard for that.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2011, 06:24:11 PM »

Somebody was sleeping when they generated the model number.
SC1200A is on the manuals, sales pages and the box mine came in.
SC12A is on the consoles label and in OnAlert in AHP.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2011, 07:58:12 PM »

Isn't that what the RoboDog was supposed to do?

No. Robodog just made barking sounds.

I suppose you could use a computer to play the sound effect of a dog barking, triggered by the same motion sensor.

Another member here recreated robodog using an MP3 player and a set of computer speakers plugged into an appliance module. Look here: RCaddict's DIY robodog setup. Any voice warning could also be configured using the DIY robodog.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 08:01:01 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2011, 08:06:24 PM »

Somebody was sleeping when they generated the model number.
SC1200A is on the manuals, sales pages and the box mine came in.
SC12A is on the consoles label and in OnAlert in AHP.
Maybe SC1200A is model number for the "system" with sensors, but the console itself is SC12A? Kinda like the difference between model numbers and "kit" numbers at "mother M".

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2011, 08:11:12 PM »

Could be the SC1200 was the kit, but both X10 and Smarthome sell the console alone as a SC1200.  :'
http://www.smarthome.com/82136/X10-SC1200-SecuriLINK-Home-Security-Console/p.aspx

rhea

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2011, 12:22:51 PM »

Uhh, nothing gets better   same day as I added those passive wires, same basement motion detectors and a door sensor in basement reported error.... routine followed... console in  hand and reinstalling the "bad' spots anew.....

Signal repeaters.... any 3rd party  available?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2011, 12:39:56 PM »

The X10 one was reported to be a problem with messages.
That maybe why they where discontinued.

You had to move the console to get the problem sensors to register?
If that is what you did. Most likely the trouble zones will come back.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 12:42:09 PM by Brian H »

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2011, 12:49:47 PM »

Signal repeaters.... any 3rd party  available?
No, there are no 3rd party RF repeaters.

pseeker

• Helpful Post Rating: 12
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2011, 02:03:13 PM »

rhea, looks like "game over" for the moment.  In my situation I considered the following:  placing the door sensors where the RF is reachable and extending the magnetic switch wires thru the attic to other side of the house, use AHP/PC/CM15A as repeater with lots programming, use the two AHP/PC/CM15A with another security console and lots programming  However, I do not want ALL my waking hours consumed by X10 projects.  :D

jediagh

• Helpful Post Rating: 10
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2011, 08:00:25 PM »

I've had my SC1200 for 1.5 months now and it's worked fine straight out of the box on the first time.  It has triggered three times all were valid.

1) I came home and opened the door forgetting I had the system armed (2nd day of having it)
2) I was at home and had set the armed away instead armed home from my bedroom.  Came down during the night to get some milk and tripped the hallway motion sensor.  :o
3) Testing the system for the fire alarm mod I did (see below for more)

--KNOCK ON WOOD-- that it stays like that. 

I have a small 1200 sqft multi-level house so not sure if that helps with the range issues some of you are having that I am not.  I have a mix of DS10A and DS12A for the doors and windows in the house.  In addition I have added several fire alarm mod sensors as well and my system has worked like it should.

BTW I am using a cellphone for my "landline" as oppose to a real land line.
I use something called the xlink to get my spare cellphone to act like a land line.
Here is a review and "how to" of the product.

About the only issue I had at the beginning was getting the power horns to work but that was me mis-reading the directions (the info that came with them is incorrect) but got help on these forums that they now work.  I still don't think they are loud enough and have been looking at making either a custom horn to add to the system or just getting an old cassette tape radio leaving it "on" to play a cassette with an "alarm noise" and plugging it to an appliance module that is setup to the same code as the lights and when the alarm triggers it would also play.  ;D

Need to test that theory a bit more but other than that no complains.
Now with that said this alarm (x10) or any alarm for that matter is not the be all end all for home security.
Home security is about layers of defense.  In particular order:

- alarm system
- lighting for the perimeter of your house
- securing doors and windows
- a safe for your valuables bolted to the floor
- homeowners insurance
- adding torn bushes to obstruct window on 1st floor with ease asses
- adding security film to glass (windows/doors) (ie. 3M security film)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYdVK3BqPfk&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lFCbjV7NgQ&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HczmrOj0HY&feature=player_embedded
- get a big dog
- reinforce the door so it's harder to kick in

Thieves consider this when targeting a home/biz.

VISUAL -

does it look like an easy target?
    does it look 'messy' in the yard, if so then neighbors may not notice any disarray the criminals cause.
    are there 'alarm company' stickers on doors/windows?
    can they see cameras or other things that will cause them to be identified?

PHYSICAL -

are the security layers real or fake? Generic stickers or security stickers that are not from a known security company?
    are their thorn bushes or decorative plants under the windows?
    is the deadbolt cheap or a quality unit?
    do the doors look solid?
    are the windows accessible or raised?

They want an easy target they can do a quick smash and grab.  If your house looks like too much trouble guess what?  They are going to go elsewhere.

pseeker

• Helpful Post Rating: 12
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2011, 01:38:32 PM »

jediagh precautions is sensible and I am in 100% agreement. 

I just want to add that our neighborhood police officer urged us to get an alarm system to scare away any burglers as the most effective thing you can do immediately.  (hence my motivation to install).  He reported recent breakends surprisingly included a house with barking doberman.  All where in the daytime when the neighborhood went to work.  According to the officer the burglers worked in pairs one driving a nice late model getway car (bmw) and another going door to door.  They would target the master bed room looking for jewelry first.     In some cases these burgler would have local intelligence... ie neighborhood people (he called them "delinquent kids") so they know your schedule or your contractor that entered your home. Each would get commission on break in take.

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2011, 01:54:02 PM »

I've had my SC1200 for 1.5 months now and it's worked fine straight out of the box on the first time.  It has triggered three times all were valid.

1) I came home and opened the door forgetting I had the system armed (2nd day of having it)
2) I was at home and had set the armed away instead armed home from my bedroom.  Came down during the night to get some milk and tripped the hallway motion sensor.  :o
3) Testing the system for the fire alarm mod I did (see below for more)

--KNOCK ON WOOD-- that it stays like that. 

I have a small 1200 sqft multi-level house so not sure if that helps with the range issues some of you are having that I am not.  I have a mix of DS10A and DS12A for the doors and windows in the house.  In addition I have added several fire alarm mod sensors as well and my system has worked like it should.

BTW I am using a cellphone for my "landline" as oppose to a real land line.
I use something called the xlink to get my spare cellphone to act like a land line.
Here is a review and "how to" of the product.

About the only issue I had at the beginning was getting the power horns to work but that was me mis-reading the directions (the info that came with them is incorrect) but got help on these forums that they now work.  I still don't think they are loud enough and have been looking at making either a custom horn to add to the system or just getting an old cassette tape radio leaving it "on" to play a cassette with an "alarm noise" and plugging it to an appliance module that is setup to the same code as the lights and when the alarm triggers it would also play.  ;D

Need to test that theory a bit more but other than that no complains.
Now with that said this alarm (x10) or any alarm for that matter is not the be all end all for home security.
Home security is about layers of defense.  In particular order:

- alarm system
- lighting for the perimeter of your house
- securing doors and windows
- a safe for your valuables bolted to the floor
- homeowners insurance
- adding torn bushes to obstruct window on 1st floor with ease asses
- adding security film to glass (windows/doors) (ie. 3M security film)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYdVK3BqPfk&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lFCbjV7NgQ&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HczmrOj0HY&feature=player_embedded
- get a big dog
- reinforce the door so it's harder to kick in

Thieves consider this when targeting a home/biz.

VISUAL -

does it look like an easy target?
    does it look 'messy' in the yard, if so then neighbors may not notice any disarray the criminals cause.
    are there 'alarm company' stickers on doors/windows?
    can they see cameras or other things that will cause them to be identified?

PHYSICAL -

are the security layers real or fake? Generic stickers or security stickers that are not from a known security company?
    are their thorn bushes or decorative plants under the windows?
    is the deadbolt cheap or a quality unit?
    do the doors look solid?
    are the windows accessible or raised?

They want an easy target they can do a quick smash and grab.  If your house looks like too much trouble guess what?  They are going to go elsewhere.

Hi did I read this correctly did you say your Powerhorns actually work correctly?? do they cut on and off or do they produce the correct oscillating tone. Thanks

Tom j.

jediagh

« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2011, 10:48:12 PM »

I have 4 power horns and when the alarm trips about 5 to 6 seconds after it has tripped they begin to sound.
The make a sound (high pitch noise) for 3 to 4 second then turn off for 3 to 4 second and continue making noise, turning off (no noise), making noise, etc.. 

Since my last post I did have another alarm.  I left the house and left a rather big mess of papers stacked on my dining table.  When the AC kicked on the vent near the table blew some of the papers onto the floor and the motion sensor caught it.
I got the phone call but did not hear anything via the MIC.  I was on for about 10 mins (on cellphone) as I made my way back to the house the entire time the power horns and lights were going on/off.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2011, 06:16:59 AM »

Sounds like you have the PH508/PSH01 Large Powerhorn and a Date Code in the 2010 and maybe 2011 {I have not tested any 2011 units} range.

Unfortunately that is the way they act with a SC1200. Because the console sends the two Light Codes On and Off commands. Powerhorns where originally designed to trigger on an All Lights ON All Units Off cycle or an On Off cycle to the House/Unit Code it was set to. The second address messes up things.

Could be worse. The 2009 ones sound one time. Everytime you arm the system and the security lights flash to verify the armed condition.

I agree they don't sound as good as they use to. The older designed ones are noticeable much louder.

The Powerhorn is supposed to time out after four minutes and stop sounding, but I think when they pause the timeout resets.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 06:18:58 AM by Brian H »

jediagh

« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2011, 11:29:43 AM »

I have the PH508 Large Powerhorn with a date code of 10L52.
I think you are right in terms of the timeout reseting since I have been able to get them (powerhorn) to ring for 10 mins during my last alarm trigger.  It's not a continuous sound.  As I stated they tun on, make noise, turn off, then back on, etc.  They follow the same pattern as the lights flashing.  :)

Yes they are not as loud as I would like them to be but I'm working on getting that fixed.  Looking for an old tape player.  Will record an alarm sound on the tape player and have it on play "minus" the power.  Then use an appliance module and when the alarm triggers it will turn on the appliance module which in turn will turn on the tape player and "boom" even more sound.  :)%
Pages: 1 [2] 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.