Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is there a way to get email or texts instead of a call?  (Read 11891 times)

notslow

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Is there a way to get email or texts instead of a call?
« on: July 23, 2011, 11:26:13 PM »

Hi everyone,
I'm wondering if there is any way to use active home or other software to send an email or text message when the security system is triggered instead of dialing a number.

Like a lot of people, I don't have a home phone for the system to call out. I would like to be able to get a text message sent to me, but email would work too. If this isn't available, it should be. Half the people I know have turned off their home phone. Even my grandparents turned theirs off and they had the same number for 40 years  :o

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Is there a way to get email or texts instead of a call?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 11:49:55 PM »

Yes. Using AHP (with smart macros installed) in advanced functions simply select to sent email. I am sure there is also a way to send text messages.

Home Automation is an always changing technology

notslow

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 12:42:23 AM »

oh too cool  ;D

That will work perfectly. I can set the email address as my phones sms portal address. That way the email goes to my phone as a text and I get it instantly.

Thanks

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 09:32:45 AM »

And it's a simple matter to have it send you a text message when a specific door is opened (or closed).  Using flags you could even limit that feature to a specfic time period.
There is a script on the Forum that if copied will do what you require......

pseeker

• Helpful Post Rating: 12
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 10:24:18 AM »

It is possible, but it MAY not be easy to do.

What is not clear from your question is what hardware/model/software components you currently have and what exactly is your "alarm trigger" (is it the console triggering?  Or is an open door sensor, etc, etc)   In most cases its not a straightforward thing to do and requires considerable effort.    Also another factor is your level experience on X10 products and in hardware/programming.   I have an Sc1200 and it was pain in the neck to piece together the components to send out an email/text msg.  I don't want to discourage you and hacking is part of the fun of X10 products, I just want to make sure you understand it not built in plug and play solution.

Search the forums for possible approaches.

pseeker

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 10:34:42 AM »

Forgot to mention the obvious: you will need internet service.  Then again if you a internet It might be easier to  use VOIP  as phone line example: magicjack,  googlevoice with obi100 (search amazon)

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 11:55:18 AM »

......I have an Sc1200 and it was pain in the neck to piece together the components to send out an email/text msg.  I don't want to discourage you and hacking is part of the fun of X10 products, I just want to make sure you understand it not built in plug and play solution.

Wait a minute. Maybe I did assume too much of the OP's condition... but he did only ask about AHP and email (and I included a picture). Granted to use an alarm setup through AHP the console and remote might need to be registered through the OnAlert software as well. But there are simpler setup's too. Or like in my case.... I used one of the third party software products (BVC) that can hear (detect) the console PLC's when triggered. My setup even yells at the intruder with a real human female sounding computer voice, when my alarm is triggered. But no hacking or specials skills were required (see links below).

Although I do completely agree... very little about X10 is truly plug-N-play. For almost everyone... using X10 can be a lot of fun and a little bit of a learning experience at the same time.

pseeker

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 05:38:32 PM »

I'm going to start off with statement that every one is going to have different experience and "your mileage will vary."   View this from eyes of person entering the X10 world as newby and person that recently got educated from the school of hard knocks.  Dummy here ordered the CM19A/AHP and for his sc1200 alarm system.  I wanted to send an text message via email on console alarm trigger.  Later learn that OnAlert is separate purchase.  Once I got Onalert, I found the sc12a/sc1200 module in OnAlert module can't be configured to recognize the sc1200 alarm trigger and the the SC1200 does not do any rf signalling on trigger.   Then I purchased an CM15A, not realizing originally that the CM19A with TM751 can not "read" the PLC that the SC1200 issues on alert.   Next it turns out I needed a passive coupler in my house to bridge my power lines.   Then I had googled email script to work with gmail and tuned it to work as include lib. in VBscript.   I was depending in X10SW third module to work with the SC1200.  Turns out that the X10SW has not been updated to work with the SC1200 PLC protocols.   So I sat down a wrote my own custom c# windows service to do the email text alert.  At the same time, I worked with the author and volunteered to beta test new versions X10SW.  It seems to work fine now.

I think its easier today than yesterday, but I think it takes considerable effort for some new like me to get things going. THere are hours to be spent searching and reading through forums to figure out the right pieces and right  solution.  If things don't work quite right then you have learn about protocols, passive couplers, passive attennas, XXXX devices etc.  Most solutions are work around anyway.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 06:04:18 PM »

I'm going to start off with statement that every one is going to have different experience and "your mileage will vary."   View this from eyes of person entering the X10 world as newby and person that recently got educated from the school of hard knocks.  Dummy here ordered the CM19A/AHP and for his sc1200 alarm system.  I wanted to send an text message via email on console alarm trigger.  Later learn that OnAlert is separate purchase.  Once I got Onalert, I found the sc12a/sc1200 module in OnAlert module can't be configured to recognize the sc1200 alarm trigger and the the SC1200 does not do any rf signalling on trigger.   Then I purchased an CM15A, not realizing originally that the CM19A with TM751 can not "read" the PLC that the SC1200 issues on alert.   Next it turns out I needed a passive coupler in my house to bridge my power lines.   Then I had googled email script to work with gmail and tuned it to work as include lib. in VBscript.   I was depending in X10SW third module to work with the SC1200.  Turns out that the X10SW has not been updated to work with the SC1200 PLC protocols.   So I sat down a wrote my own custom c# windows service to do the email text alert.  At the same time, I worked with the author and volunteered to beta test new versions X10SW.  It seems to work fine now.

I think its easier today than yesterday, but I think it takes considerable effort for some new like me to get things going. THere are hours to be spent searching and reading through forums to figure out the right pieces and right  solution.  If things don't work quite right then you have learn about protocols, passive couplers, passive attennas, XXXX devices etc.  Most solutions are work around anyway.
I don't have an SC12a/sc1200, nor do I have the OnAlert plugin, but can't AHP use the alarm trigger event to trigger a macro?

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 09:58:07 PM »

............................ I think it takes considerable effort for some new like me to get things going. THere are hours to be spent searching and reading through forums to figure out the right pieces and right solution.  If things don't work quite right then you have learn about protocols, passive couplers, passive attennas, XXXX devices etc.

Your right. Home Automation isn't plug-N-play! There is a learning curve. That is why so many of us volunteer here with advice and info. Looks like your joining us.... Welcome to the club!

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 10:02:06 PM »

Yes. Using AHP (with smart macros installed) in advanced functions simply select to sent email. I am sure there is also a way to send text messages.

Giving you a helpful for this one Dave well you're pretty  -:) Hum

Tom j.

pseeker

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 07:16:13 AM »

>Welcome to the club
Thanks, got lots bruises as a result

>Yes. Using AHP (with smart macros installed) in advanced functions simply select to sent email. I am sure there is also a way to send text messages.
>I don't have an SC12a/sc1200, nor do I have the OnAlert plugin, but can't AHP use the alarm trigger event to trigger a macro?

I haven't been able to to setup AHP/OnAlert to directly recognize my console alarm trigger, then execute a macro.    Does smart macros give you this function? Maybe someone out there who has done this can shed some light?  From what I have seen in searching the forum there is round-about approaches http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=23376.0   

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 05:23:20 PM »

The SC1200 sends different codes then the DS7000 on an alarm trip.
I created x10SW to detect the signal from a DS7000 alarm trip and am currently adding code for the SC1200 which is in beta testing right now.
the SC1200 sends the security housecode plus 1, on then off on a alarm trip.
You could use AHP and watch for thouse house codes however it will require smartmacros and the use of flags and conditions.
without the conditions you would get a email(text message) every time the house code is received.
X10SW would allow AHP to send a email only once for each alarm trip.
There is still time to get in on the beta testing of the new X10SW for those interested.
You need to be a member of my forum so the member only section is visible.
This is where the beta test thread is.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

pseeker

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 11:55:27 AM »

Tuiceman,  In AHP/OnAlert, do you know what the heck the SC12A/SC1200 icon is suppose to be  used for in the security plane.  I know in macro designer mode I can use the KR10A to trigger a macro on ARM/DISARM to do X/ same goes with other sensors , but there are no options for SC12A.   Why bothering putting in the SC12A/SC1200 security icon?   

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 12:20:31 PM »

I've also wondered why the DS7000 is presented also, other than to indicate room placement of the unit.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.