Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Nightwatch B&W Camera stops working periodically [SOLVED]  (Read 11192 times)

TerranJerry

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Nightwatch B&W Camera stops working periodically [SOLVED]
« on: September 09, 2011, 09:07:44 AM »

I am running v3.310 and for the most part it is working "ok".  However I have a problem with it that I did not have with v3.295 previously that affects my NightWatch B&W wireless camera mounted inside my garage.

Either after some period of time or after some macros run, I find that the camera which is supposed to always be on (I only have ONE camera) is no longer on.  By that I mean that the video screen in AHP is showing a pattern like you get from a TV when there is no video signal.  Also, the "Go Live" button is illuminated in blue and if I press that button, then the video comes back.  Here's what the camera button looks like:

And the video looks like this:

If I press the "go live" button, the video returns to normal - for a while.  I don't know if the problem occurs when other macros run or just from sitting in an operational state for a while.  I will try to look into that further.

Here's what the "go live" button looks like after I press it (and the video cam is working again):

And the camera is working again too - it's just dark in garage with door closed and only one light on...

Any thoughts on this problem?  I was reluctant to try v3.316 because my previous attempt to use it ran into other problems.  v3.310 seems stable except for this one problem.

Jerry

UPDATE 09SEP11 - it appears that this happens when a macro runs AND if the video camera window is temporarily dropped from the screen (like if a macro runs and then I go I edit a macro which removes the video camera display from the screen) and then come back to the garage panel again, the green light indicating the camera is on will have gone away and I have to press the 'go live' button again.  Oddly enough, if I run the macro but do not do something that removes the video window from the screen, then the video keeps working.

So, basically I can replicate the problem if I do this:
1) With camera working properly in AHP and displaying live video - green light on for camera, click on the "close door macro" (or run some other
macro - doesn't seem to matter which one)
2) Now click 'edit' on any macro - which takes the camera off screen
3) Now go back to the garage panel - the green light for the camera is now off and the 'go live' button is blue again.
4) Click the 'go live' button and the video window pops up again and the camera starts working again - green light comes back on
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 11:25:09 PM by TerranJerry »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Nightwatch B&W Camera stops working periodically
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 10:00:50 AM »

My $0.02 is to find out if the camera power supply is being told to turn off, because your screen shot appears like (as you have pointed out) receiver is on line but has lost video transmission from camera. Since camera is on constantly make sure it is transmitting video properly and then change camera power supply  House Code to a completely different HC not used anywhere in the system.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 10:44:40 AM »

My $0.02 is to find out if the camera power supply is being told to turn off

I'll throw my 2 cents in with dave w's (4 cents total). I'd also suggest you look at the group of 4 in your set-up/macros. Camera power supplys work in "groups of four"... so if you turn one camera ON other camers in the same group automaticly turn OFF. Of course camera power supplys can't tell cameras from any other House/Unit ON/OFF. Any House/Unit code in the A12-A16 group will effect your (A13) cameras power.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 12:38:54 PM »

Actually the last group of four is A13-A16.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 04:22:18 PM »

I am running v3.310 and for the most part it is working "ok" ...
In case you weren't aware, version 3.316 is the latest version.
Although I agree with the others here that it sounds like something is turning off your camera.
A device on A14,A15,or A16 being turned on will cause the camera on A13 to turn off.
You might want to check your Activity Monitor for clues.

HA Dave

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 07:06:14 PM »

Actually the last group of four is A13-A16.

Thx! That's what happens when I forget to use my fingers.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 07:12:03 PM »

Yes I think the camera is turning off automatically. But since OP says he has only one camera and it stays on all the time, wouldn't simple solution be to just go to an unused house code on the power supply?

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 07:20:26 PM »

..... wouldn't simple solution be to just go to an unused house code on the power supply?

Yes! But... are we spose to do this stuff the simple easy ways?

I don't know why the OP put a camera on the Attic house code anyway. I thought Cameras... went on C.

TerranJerry

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 07:26:59 PM »

Hi Guys!  Wow - great response.

I have many things to try now.

I didn't realize that cameras were supposed to be on the "C" house code... I just picked one that matched my existing house code "A" but not for any particular reason - I didn't know to do otherwise.

So, what is the "group of 4" ?  I've not heard of that.  I do indeed have some pseudo-devices (not real but I have some dummy devices) at A11, A12 and A14 and my camera is at A13.  I didn't realize they had any interaction with one another.  The other devices are not cameras.  I only have the one camera.  However, as I said there are indeed other devices at those other addresses.  Why is there a relationship between them and what is that relationship?

Thanks for all the ideas. I will give it a try and get back to you to let you know how I am fairing.
Really appreciate the help!   :)%

Jerry

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 07:44:24 PM »

Cameras are controlled by power line On and Off commands. To their addressable power supplies.

Same House Code for all the cameras.

Unit Codes in groups of four. 1-4,5-8,9-12 and 13-16. Turn one On and the other three go Off automatically.
If you have more than four cameras. Some of the software can send an Off to the camera that is On and then turn On the camera in a different group.

Any On sent to A14-A16 over the power line. Will turn Off your A13 addressed camera. As the group is A13-A16.

http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Camera_Turns_Off_by_Itself
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 07:51:27 PM by Brian H »

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 08:48:04 PM »

Yes! But... are we spose to do this stuff the simple easy ways?
Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

HA Dave

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 10:09:22 PM »

I didn't realize that cameras were supposed to be on the "C" house code...

I am sorry. I must apologize... my joking was directed towards dave w. He was correct that merely changing the House address (from A to any other letter) will likely fix you up. Of course any letter will work.

TerranJerry

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 12:25:17 AM »

Ok, thanks a bunch guys.  I think I understand it now.  That's an interesting aspect to the product and obviously not one about which I was aware.  However, the problem didn't creep into my setup until recently when I added an A14 (imagine that - my camera was fine as A13 until then!)  ha ha

Knowing how it works surely helps to explain strange behaviors like this.

Thanks again.  I'm off to move my camera to a different house code!

Jerry

HA Dave

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2011, 01:17:15 AM »

Thanks for letting us know how things worked out Jerry. Often times we put our thoughts in a post here... but never hear back. It is really nice when we know our efforts made a difference.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2011, 06:08:08 AM »

Thanks for the update.

Motion sensors can also be a problem if you don't remember the Dusk/Dawn feature most model have.
If you send a motion detected on lets say M1. The dusk/dawn feature is on M2. So at dusk an M2 On is sent and at dawn an M2 Off is sent.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.