Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Would you buy an AirPad to beta test it?

Yes even for the same price.
Yes but only at a discounted price
No!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Would you have bought this if you knew?  (Read 11622 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Would you have bought this if you knew?
« on: September 21, 2011, 12:58:46 PM »

With all the complants this product is getting I feel like all that bought one of these is actually beta testing it.
I'm not happy with the way x10 has been handling this release. Granted it is mostly the shipping and purchasing part.
I'm wondering if X10 offered it as a beta test release if there still would have been the demand for it! ::) :'
Certainly alot of the bugs would have been worked out and stock shortages would have been minimal.

True most beta test don't require a user to put anything upfront but if a company is struggling (as post suggest X10 is) then this is the way to go.
Maybe then we won't all feel like a beta tester once a new product is introduced.
We'll know we are! rofl
Note to X10: This poll may be of interest for next new product!
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

YB

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
  • Coders Are The Only True Evils In This World...
    • X10 WTI
Re: Would you have bought this if you knew?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2011, 02:45:19 PM »

my personal reply, not of x10 opinion.

how many peopled lined up for the first gen iPhones?

the first gen of anything from any company has already gone rounds of testing, real world application from multiple ends of peoples lives, is the ultimate test. A lot of folks only buy second gen + for that reason. me personally, I like to know whats going on, and what I can do to improve it, being on the cutting edge, upfront and personal in the line of fire. Yea, i'd buy it knowing that i'm one of the first real world testers.
Michael Youngblood
Web Designer

Tesla

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2011, 11:59:40 PM »

As of August 30, if you want a Android tablet (with capacitive multi-touch 7" screen and full-sized USB port) for $200 ... this AirPad is one of the only options. This is assuming (and taking x10 on their word) that will will eventually get ICS or at least Honeycomb. If that never happens, the value dwindles.

Some of us are having some strange hardware problems. We are not sure if these are one-off problems or something deeper. I was hoping that if I purchased (what has turned out to be) a fairly standard Chinese tablet from an established American company like x10 ... they would be in contact with the OEM company that actually made them and ensure that QA is high and that core-problems are eventually fixed with an update.  Hopefully, that is the case here but time will tell.

To answer your question ... I guess so, but my experience could have been smoother. Right now, I think this is what you get for $200.

everydayflyer

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 12:21:17 PM »

The biggest issue I have is the what I consider a very short warranty period. Most pads come with a 12 month one while AirPad 's is only 90 days.

Wonder if X-10 will be offering an extended warranty for a reasonable cost and if so how long will past purchases have to purchase same?

draythomp

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 12:47:03 PM »

Frankly, NO.

They lied about ship dates to get us to order.  Then they lied about when it was really going to ship.  Then they lied about when they would return our money because we cancelled the order because they lied.

Right this second, you can't get into customer service; it tells you that its after hours and to call back, it's 09:42 West Coast time.  The sales line does the same thing.  This is after waiting roughly 20 minutes on hold listening to music or ads.

What exactly recommends this company after all this?  I fully expect them to keep filling my inbox with trash wanting me to go through this all over again with some other product that the company supports in this horrible fashion.

I guess I'll listen to their endless loop jazz music some more.

YB

• X10 WTI
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 02:03:59 PM »

Curious draythomp,

you state it is 9:42 PST, but your post was at 8:47am. Are you talking past tense. Where you trying to call in at 9:42pm PST?
Michael Youngblood
Web Designer

pohs

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 02:39:26 PM »

I bought my AirPad to try to keep up with the grandchildren. While I am fairly proficient with a PC, it has been years since I used an Apple and never had touched an iPad.

I am happy with the AirPad and even happier with the X10 AirPad Android Tablet Forum. To me the AirPad is forgiving – I just keep clicking on icons and testing what they show or do. While I never have used it yet, I think the factory reset option is great.  #:)

q711179

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2011, 07:05:00 PM »

My take on the airpad is that there is no other product like it for this price range, and the color nook is closest but only if you root it, voiding the warranty where as x10 supports this as is. The airpad is everything that x10 says it is and my delivery was made in a timely manner. Call me Lucky I guess, but I think it only fair to share my experience, even if it is positive.
I am typing this out on a SwiftKey keyboard I downloaded and it i ::)s working quite well, even though I have option to use a regular usb keyboard I find this working great. My biggest disappointment remains lack of usb charge, but since I mostly use at home I am ok with it.
As far as beta testing goes I find that common among many new products, I recall being among first of evo 4g customers dying for a update to fix bugs and later a nexus s owner in dire need for a radio fix. So don't see much different here with the airpad or x10. Finally I have learned by the time all bugs fixed a new product comes along and I will be ditching this for the latest wiz bang, which is why I am glad it only cost me $200.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2011, 07:14:24 PM »

I love beta testing and if the product is something I would likely get anyway then I'd be happy to pay.
I found initial releases were smoother with a beta test but also found some beta tests could drag on with little input.
X10 has a powerful tool (this forum) they can easily see who steps up to the plate and tells it like it is and gets involved.
Those users should be asked to beta test any future software or hardware. Some will decline if they don't see a need for it in they're lives but I think most would accept the offer.
Only if they can't get enough tester should it be opened to the public.
True most stuff gets a though testing but real world testing throws stuff at a product that can't be thought of in a factory setting.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

roguespyder

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2011, 09:35:08 PM »

I bought it because I wanted to.

If it's a beta, can I get the SDK?

snickers <..>

I think it's a good product so far.
The Owner's manual needs to be rewritten by an English speaking technical writer. It is atrocious.

I'll rewrite it for a complimentary demo.

draythomp

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 12:50:07 AM »

Curious draythomp,

you state it is 9:42 PST, but your post was at 8:47am. Are you talking past tense. Where you trying to call in at 9:42pm PST?

No, even your clock is wrong.

YB

• X10 WTI
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 07:38:52 PM »

Curious draythomp,

No, even your clock is wrong.

Darn, well server times have been known to be off. As far as your other complaints go, please send me an email and I will do my best to take care of you. You can email me at yb@x10.com.
Michael Youngblood
Web Designer

deholla

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2011, 12:02:20 AM »

If I would have known the Adobe Flash Player version 11 did not work I might not have bought this. I'm being chided with having bought something that does not work, and the prospect of needing to get something else. The Flash player was the primary reason I got the AirPad, as it goes along with other home automation video I use, however Flash 11 crashes my AirPad! BUT, ON THE OTHER HAND, reinstalling the version 10.2 that came with the AirPad satisfies my needs and I am now eager to boast about this handy little tablet.
So, YES, I would have bought this knowing what I know now.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 05:56:31 PM by deholla »

acmename

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2011, 03:52:58 AM »

With all due respect, X10 is not Apple. Just sayin'.

BTW. I'm a software quality engineer by trade, and am on my third day of a blinding headache directly caused by trying to install and run AHP and my plugins. Where is your "development" team? I'm not even going to ask about QA. This is unreal.

my personal reply, not of x10 opinion.

how many peopled lined up for the first gen iPhones?

the first gen of anything from any company has already gone rounds of testing, real world application from multiple ends of peoples lives, is the ultimate test. A lot of folks only buy second gen + for that reason. me personally, I like to know whats going on, and what I can do to improve it, being on the cutting edge, upfront and personal in the line of fire. Yea, i'd buy it knowing that i'm one of the first real world testers.

draythomp

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2011, 07:30:19 PM »

I just got a mail from X10 offering me an Airpad from the latest shipment.  This is after being lied to about shipdates, refund dates, waiting hours on the phone with customer service and so on.  I cancelled my order on the 13th of September.  Still haven't had the money refunded to my credit card.  I have filed a complaint with the credit card company and they put a credit on my account, so I'm not hurting.

So, after a bait and switch to get me to order and failing to return my money, they want me to believe them and order one?

I don't think that's a good idea.  I'll bet my new Kindle Fire arrives before they finally refund my money.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.