Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10 Controlled Door lock  (Read 7998 times)

Mv3rck

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X10 Controlled Door lock
« on: October 15, 2011, 12:47:17 PM »

OK so I just ordered a new system and so far it's primarily a security system with a few additional modules for lights and such. I've searched the forum for this and found very little relating to it. What I'm looking to do is use this or a similar door strike http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=remote+door+strike&hl=en&nord=1&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_cp.,cf.osb&ion=1&biw=1280&bih=909&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=12706158497441399904&sa=X&ei=cbGZTuD0IYbe0QH_qdSyDg&ved=0CHEQ8gIwAw on the handle of my back door. I would still be able to use the deadbolts on the doors so they are still secure. Basically I would like to have this option to remotely unlock my doors for my family or friends if I am at work or somewhere I want to let them in without leaving my house unlocked the whole day until they get there.

So far here is my idea. On my front door the frame is thick enough that I could fit this unit in it farely easily, also I have two light switches right next to the door. One controls the front porch light and the other is currently a dead switch. My thought is to jump the power from the 1st switch to power the second and installing one of the light switch modules to remotely activate the door lock. The problem comes in because all the door strikes I've found are 12v dc so I would need to convert the power out of the switch to 12v I've been looking online for an inline converter with no luck. Also I don't have an outlet near by and even then I would prefer to keep the wiring neat and out of site (in the wall if possible). Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
Re: X10 Controlled Door lock
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2011, 01:56:58 PM »

Will not work with deadbolts.
Will not be 'secure' physically against forced attack.
Can be made electronically secure by use of multiple X10 devices, a single X10 module will only allow minimal security against someone with an X10 remote.
12v power supply buried within walls may generate unwanted heat.
Use of 'home-made' locking devices in place of (or combined with) recognised locking devices may void insurance policies in case of theft/burglary.

Your best option for the scenario you are looking at is a standard digital pushbutton operated lock. Your friend phones and you can let them know the code. The code can be changed to maintain security if needed. Schlage has a networked option that will allow remote access if you need it.
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

Mv3rck

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 04:46:09 PM »

I was actually going to put it on the door knob lock, and leave the deadbolts intact for that added security. Most of this is simply a concept I'd like to get working and I think it would come in handy on occasion.

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 08:10:17 PM »

It's great for 'handy' :)
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.