Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Android Market Missing  (Read 24578 times)

pseeker

• Helpful Post Rating: 12
Re: Android Market Missing
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 11:51:45 PM »

Interesting development.... The Android OS may be free and open source.  However Youtube, Market, Maps,etc are considered proprietary.  They are known as the "google experience apps".  These apps (like Market) require a license from Google Inc   

Years back the CyanogenMod folks received cease and desist letter from Google for distributing these proprietary apps.  See http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/What_is_CyanogenMod  under Licensing Controversy to see how they got around this.

The previous comments and discussion above  implies possible licensing problems.

DemDave

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 02:14:51 AM »

At the time most of us bought the AirPad, it was marketed as having the Android Market. If it comes to pass that we're no longer able to use the Android Market, then I believe this would constitute false advertising. Then hopefully the company would step up find an agreeable way to compensate us for this error, whether it be offering returns past the 30 day window, partial refunds, etc.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2011, 01:21:22 PM »

I guess the on sale page has not been updated yet.
I just looked and it says Official Google Android Market and mentions Google Maps.  ::)  :'

The main AirPad page seems to be updated.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 01:25:17 PM by Brian H »

q711179

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2011, 03:06:21 PM »

Interesting topic and quite a concern. I received an early AP and so have market installed and just checked with an update of existing apps and all is well with mine. Doesn't mean that later models will have the same results however. I do recall cyanogen having problems with installing the market and had to install an optional "gapps" in order for market to work.  Wonder if this is a possible fix for those willing to put in the work, but I can understand that the AP advantage was everything working right out of the box.  Any official word from X10 yet?

pseeker

• Helpful Post Rating: 12
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2011, 04:26:34 PM »

If Airpad develops a dedicated following... and in that group is sharp developer willing to spend the time, then he/she could  create an update to install the google experience.  I know this because I was previous owner of Pandigital Novel which never had market and was slow but several developers  did their magic.  Google seems to look the other way.

And if Airpad is an exact import of the Lanyu 910 http://en.sz-lanyu.com/EN/Product-117.html, then you should be able to get an update directly from the manufacturer. Chinese manufacturers/developers do not have strong history of complying with intellectually property rights.  Then again, maybe they will start.

will6103

« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2011, 05:51:06 PM »

I was finally able to find a way around my problem. After many hours of searching and trial/error I was able to find software and an old AP image that I was able to flash on to my new AP. I was on the brink of sending it back and going to something else but now that I was able to get all of the google apps back I am going to keep it. It is a pain in the rear to flash the rom but if you want all of the google apps back it is your only choice other then getting a different tablet........

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2011, 06:03:06 PM »

So they did change the image in the new ones.

DemDave

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2011, 06:03:23 PM »

I suppose this means those of us with the earlier software be left with a tough choice if they actually live up to their promises to give us an Ice Cream Sandwich release: upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich and live without the Google Apps, or stay on Gingerbread and keep the Google Apps.

But let's be honest here...despite their promises, it seems incredibly unlikely that they'll actually bother with an official Ice Cream Sandwich release.

I knew it was a $200 gamble when I bought this. Looks like I lost.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 06:20:01 PM by DemDave »

B.A.

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2011, 06:17:33 PM »

I can't believe everything I've been reading since the AP release.
What a way to run a company!

everydayflyer

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2011, 06:49:15 PM »

I can't believe I did not do enough research before placing my order and waiting over three weeks for delivery. Could have likely had one sooner,for less cost and in theory 11 additional months warranty.

Edit

On second thought .
Deleted a link to stay out of hot water.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 06:55:59 PM by everydayflyer »

SuperC142

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2011, 07:58:43 PM »

I suppose this means those of us with the earlier software be left with a tough choice if they actually live up to their promises to give us an Ice Cream Sandwich release: upgrade to Ice Cream Sandwich and live without the Google Apps, or stay on Gingerbread and keep the Google Apps.

But let's be honest here...despite their promises, it seems incredibly unlikely that they'll actually bother with an official Ice Cream Sandwich release.

I knew it was a $200 gamble when I bought this. Looks like I lost.

You've summed up all of my thoughts perfectly.

everydayflyer

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2011, 01:43:40 PM »

The link I posted is free shipping for a Tablet which sure appeasrs to be exactly the same as the Air Pad.

X-10 charges $30 extra shipping to Canada according to post here.
Many have waited for 3 weeks or longer for an Air Pad and in most cases thier CC was charged at time order was placed,I know mine was.

The $200 Fire does not have HDMI and a few other feactures of the AP.  Much of the Amazon spec. /hype is just that and is still a month or more away.. Free Cloud Storage  but that is only for Amazon stuff, reminds me of the Free BlockBoster offer with a new Dish Network subscription. BlockBuster is free for 3 month only and the cost of Dish Net doubles after the first 12 months and that is a 24 month contract.

X-10 AirPad is nice but it looks like it is just another mass produced device sold under different names  with thier Logo on it  . It also looks like they may have not cleared the OEM Apps with Goggle and thus had to make what many consider a major change.   

vlong

« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2011, 04:56:34 PM »

Did anyone set up with "market Android" acount?? i tried with no luck

everydayflyer

« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2011, 08:40:25 PM »

If you received an AirPad after the middle of Oct. it can not use the Android market unless you reflash the ROM to _001 (same as original) or _002  (rooted ver. of original).

There are many post on Rooting.

vlong

« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2011, 11:19:24 AM »

If you received an AirPad after the middle of Oct. it can not use the Android market unless you reflash the ROM to _001 (same as original) or _002  (rooted ver. of original).

There are many post on Rooting.

how do i check ROM version? is it good to flash back to rom 001 or 002? is it a new fix with new rom?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.