Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: is x10 right for me? Noob help request  (Read 4603 times)

chris_s

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
is x10 right for me? Noob help request
« on: October 19, 2011, 02:55:59 PM »

Hello,

I'm looking to start playing with some home monitoring/automation and wonder if x10 is the right platform for me.

my background: I have extensive programming, networking, and general computer/electronics experience (10+ years in the industry) so doing logic programming and troubleshooting is not a problem for me

things I'd like to eventually do:

alert to email for monitors of:
motion/door sensors
temp sensors (fridge/freezer monitor)
sump pump water level
smoke alarms

automated control of:
possibly lawn sprinkler system
home thermostat
lights

dream list:
camera still shots emailed on motion/door triggers

Is x10 the right platform for me to start on this? What is the first thing to acquire, the activehome starter kit? Is there any documentation on compatible sensors?

thanks!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: is x10 right for me? Noob help request
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 03:19:20 PM »

Well X10 and their automation interface can do all that, but X10 seems to be on a bumpy road. Rumor abound that they are in receivership and the factory has been shut down. X10 is very mum. They are not denying. Some popular items are out of stock but is hard to say if this is a permanent or temporary situation.

The main item you would need is the X10 CM15A interface which is a nice little "do everything" interface. It receives and transmits powerline codes AND RF codes. X10 is currently out of stock and substituting (without permission apparently) the inferior CM19A interface which has no memory so needs computer 24/7, and can not receive  powerline commands which seriously limits its capabilities IMHO.

You might wait to see if X10 makes more CM15A before jumping in to X10. Cruise the posts in this forum. It will give you a good picture of X10 strengths and weaknesses.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 03:29:20 PM »

...wonder if x10 is the right platform for me.

If you are just starting I recommend you also look at UPB and Insteon.

my background: I have extensive programming, networking, and general computer/electronics experience (10+ years in the industry) so doing logic programming and troubleshooting is not a problem for me

You will likely be unimpressed with X-10's software. Calling it crap is unfair - it's not anywhere near that good. :'

There are rumors that X-10 is filing for bankruptcy. Of course, that does not mean they are going out of business - they've been there, done that before.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 03:37:51 PM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

chris_s

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 03:58:51 PM »

I neglected to mention that running dedicated wiring is likely the way I'll go with this, so powerline wiring and RF isn't 100% necessary.

I also have a small solid state windows computer that I set up intending to have it run 24/7 for this purpose.

doing some reading I wasn't able to come up with anything about x10 compatible power sensors (ie: something that can tell the logic/logger the ºf) or even something to do the same with impedance so I could use a thermistor.

Are there other options, short of stepping into a full on industrial controls package?

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 04:26:04 PM »

I neglected to mention that running dedicated wiring is likely the way I'll go with this, so powerline wiring and RF isn't 100% necessary.
Then have a look at this...

It can do X-10 but has RS-485 for other things that might be more along the line of your interests.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 06:43:59 PM »

I also have a small solid state windows computer that I set up intending to have it run 24/7 for this purpose.

As opposed to a vacuum tube Eniac??  rofl  I'm sorry, I know you mean solid state hard drive...sometimes I just can't help myself.

As far as interfacing an X10 system with low voltage and sensing devices. X10 can crudely handle I/O via the "PowerFlash" module, which can use as input; a closure, or low voltage AC or DC and output an X10 "ON" command on what ever house code / unit code it is set to. The "Universal" module can provide a momentary or continuous closure when sent an X10 "ON" command.

dhouston's suggestion of the Ocelot would likely be an easier way to go. Also the JDS Stargate is  another alternative that can also interface to X10. http://www.jdstechnologies.com/stargate.html

chris_s

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 08:48:24 PM »

yeah... it doesn't even have an SSD, it's just a very compact lower power consumption computer, I'm not sure why my brain keeps calling it a solid state computer.

ANYWAY, that stargate-IP looks like EXACTLY what I want, but apparently it's discontinued? analog inputs, digital inputs, relay outputs, couldn't have special ordered it better.

I guess I could troll ebay for one, but are there any other similar controllers out there?

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 09:08:16 PM »

ANYWAY, that stargate-IP looks like EXACTLY what I want, but apparently it's discontinued? analog inputs, digital inputs, relay outputs, couldn't have special ordered it better.

Sorry. I did not realize JDS had quit making the Star Gate. This has taken it's place. Not sure if it fits your needs or not.

http://www.jdstechnologies.com/hrrbi/

chris_s

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 01:05:57 PM »

the replacement doesn't have much in the way of analog/digital inputs

I'm going to do a bit of homework on different systems available.

Also, my mind keeps making me refer to AHP as "x10" though deep down I understand that x10 is actually a communication protocol

thanks so far!

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 01:45:23 PM »

the replacement doesn't have much in the way of analog/digital inputs

I'm going to do a bit of homework on different systems available.

Also, my mind keeps making me refer to AHP as "x10" though deep down I understand that x10 is actually a communication protocol

thanks so far!
Yep X10 is the protocol, and the spin off company that developed the protocol, and the devices (i.e. "X10 module" ) that use the protocol. IBM developed a programming language they called "X10" a few years back. I always wondered why IBM did that since they did have X10 making branded products for them, so knew of the X10 company prior to naming the program. Also wondered why X10 didn't go after IBM.  Maybe because IBM has more lawyers than X10.
I just went down a rabbit trail...sorry.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.