Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Worst support ever, stay away!!  (Read 10736 times)

Invincer

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Worst support ever, stay away!!
« on: October 21, 2011, 07:38:43 PM »

Wanting to automate some things on my home entertainment center, I decided to buy a package from X10 (firecracker). 2 days later I get an email my order shipped... 4 days later I get an email the firecracker line is discontinued and the order is on hold. So much for already shipped.

Well I tried calling and after a half dozen phone calls trying to get someone to help, I finally did (but not the person who sent the email). Anyways after all that I told her I just want to get a refund and will research what else will work and re-order after my refund processed. The whole X10 website felt a little sketchy to begin with and I should have followed my first instinct I guess.

3 weeks and 3 phone calls later, refund is processed. So last weekend ordered the Active Pro package along with other modules. Today it came. Started unpacking everything, putting modules on lamp lights etc. Installed the software and used registration code they sent me and it didn't work. Great... Tried calling for half an hour, no one comes to the phone (website says call 24 hours a day, on phone they say during business hours, I called during business hours and still nothing). Still, that's not what set me off. When I looked at the receiver which attaches to the USB it looks NOTHING like the one on the online user manual. Then I see what they sent me. A CM19A USB wireless receiver which the paper in the box says is a Firecracker RF Computer Interface/Transceiver... Are you freaking kidding me??? This from the line they told me was discontinued a month ago, and useless for working with the modules on the ActivePro. This thing says its for motion control... WTF???

I am going to share this experience with every automation type and consumer type website I can this weekend, then Monday will report it to my credit card company as fraud. NOBODY answers the phone to help either, it's like they don't care. It's a darn shame my experience with their product has to start out so bad even before I can use the products thanks to their support people. Buyer beware here I guees, take this as a warning...

Customer Support rating: On a scale of 1-10.... NEGATIVE 10 (Maybe that's what X10 stands for, maybe it should be -10)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Worst support ever, stay away!!
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 08:53:58 PM »

Wanting to automate some things on my home entertainment center....... Customer Support rating: On a scale of 1-10.... NEGATIVE 10 (Maybe that's what X10 stands for, maybe it should be -10)

OK Invincer there is no need to post the same rant in more than one place... I will delete the other post (please understand). Also I want to point out that this is a "community forum". That means that we are mostly all volunteers here, we are customers just like yourself. I don't think posting rants here will help you much.

I've used X10 products for many years... as has thousands of other users. I love my X10 automation! I think most people contact the X10 customer service at one time or another. I didn't think X10 was less than standard for customer service now-a-days (you should try calling my bank).

The CM19A does/will work with the AHP software and I know X10 does sell some AHP setups using the CM19A. You may have first attempted to buy the "original Firecracker" (which was a serial port unit).... I think it is now discontinued. If you decide to setup your automation read here at this forum for a while. This place is the best source for friendly help and useful information. Best of luck and thanks for posting.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 09:04:33 PM »

Still, that's not what set me off. When I looked at the receiver which attaches to the USB it looks NOTHING like the one on the online user manual. Then I see what they sent me. A CM19A USB wireless receiver which the paper in the box says is a Firecracker RF Computer Interface/Transceiver... Are you freaking kidding me??? This from the line they told me was discontinued a month ago, and useless for working with the modules on the ActivePro.
The CM19A can be used with Active Home Pro and it has inherited the old "Firecracker" name from the original RS232 dongle, since it's operation is very similar. The problem is the CM19A can not receive X10 powerline commands, only X10 RF commands. So it is not nearly as versatile or as "powerful" from an automation stand point. Other posts have indicated X10 "is out of stock" on the CM15A which is the preferable interface. If you were familiar with how the old Firecracker worked (I assume you are since that is what you originally wanted) and the "Firecracker" that is what you want, then the CM19A will work for you. However i would try to exchange the CM19A for the CM15A when/if they get back in stock.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2011, 10:01:18 PM »

....... Other posts have indicated X10 "is out of stock" on the CM15A which is the preferable interface.

OMG.... I didn't realize that we can't get more CM15A's... right now.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 06:33:58 AM »

Yes confusing.
The CM17A was the original serial module with that name.
Then they called the CM19A basically the samething. Adding AHP support for it.

If you are still looking for the CM17A serial Firecracker module. Some of the X10 dealers still list them as in stock. One of the EBay dealer says they still have more than 10.

Also on the bottom of the main sales page. The new Customer Support Hours are listed. I believe some of the pages may have been missed with the updated times.
M-F 6AM-3PM (PST)
      9AM-6PM (EST)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 06:53:32 AM by Brian H »

astrothug

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2011, 08:30:18 PM »

....... Other posts have indicated X10 "is out of stock" on the CM15A which is the preferable interface.

OMG.... I didn't realize that we can't get more CM15A's... right now.

I have to say this X10 should remove CM15A advertising  from the website, and I would be pissed if I was a first time buyer, and I was given an inferier product, when I paid for a CM15A. 

I wanted to buy a second Cm15A but not from x10 I will get it of Ebay, and Im sure this is the end of x10, or at least there home automation products.
 Im looking at moving over to INSTEON.

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2011, 08:55:17 PM »

I wanted to buy a second Cm15A but not from x10 I will get it of Ebay, and Im sure this is the end of x10, or at least there home automation products.
Im looking at moving over to INSTEON.
Standing still in business is always a killer. I think most of the Chinese importers of tech items are having trouble getting products. Big dollar items like iphones and ipads has to test even China's electronics assembly industry. X10 has relied way too much on the X10 cameras for too long. It appears to me that X10 has finally decided to expand its automation product line. This should make X10 more in line with other on line automation retailers like smarthome.

We now know that post saying X10 was in trouble was fraudulent. So rumors of demise appear to be nothing but hoax.

I am not happy with the shortage of X10 products ether! Hopefully they will get a handle on this stuff.... my fingers remained crossed.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2011, 11:14:01 PM by HA Dave »

B.A.

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2011, 07:22:49 AM »

It appears to me that X10 has finally decided to expand its automation product line. This should make X10 more in line with other on line automation retailers like smarthome.
We now know that post saying X10 was in trouble was fraudulent. So rumors of demise appear to be nothing but hoax.

Did I miss something Dave? They are going to expand on their automation product line?

How do we know the rumors are not true?

Knightrider Edit to fix quotes
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 08:04:48 AM by Knightrider »

bvrwally

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 10:12:45 AM »

I myself had issue with X10 shipping a CM19A in place of a CM15A recently! I finally got a RMA # from them, shipped it back to them this week. I found another supplier "Home Automation" out of Texas, and got the correct CM15A! Called them on Monday...received the correct device this past Friday! Very fast service! I still have not corrected my AHP issues, but will continue to troubleshoot my problem! Something is definitely sucking up my signals!  B:(
ActiveHome..SmartMacros..MyHouseonLine...ActivePhone...IwatchMobilePro...HotBodyAlert

HA Dave

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2011, 12:01:01 PM »

Did I miss something Dave? They are going to expand on their automation product line?

X10 has already expanded their product line. It now includes things like the AirPad, indoor sound systems, outdoor speakers, intercoms... have you seen their newsletters? As a serious X10'er... intercoms and audio systems may not seem like the same as the old module line-up we have grown to expect for X10's Web Site. But those items are part of automation as well. The X10 Site and emails are starting to look more like smarthome's... and not just a selection of X10 modules. I would guess... supply line problems may have greatly encouraged the format change... but its still a good thing.

How do we know the rumors are not true?

Check out this thread here: http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=25250.msg141772#msg141772. After discovering that I googled for the source... and found that same hoax post all over the Internet. We were I was stupid easy for buying into that hoax.

Since the hoax appears to have a ca origin, and I think at least one Canadian warehouse was closed I would tend to wonder if maybe a former or disgruntled employee might be involved. Or, maybe a former affiliate member hot about losing the income after X10 shut that unit down. However, I see their the posted twitter account puts them in Ireland, as a competitor (@ottomate). So... maybe X10 Europe (which is entirely different) is having some difficulties. But who knows. Ether way... it's obviously bogus.

If ten years ago I would have posted that GM would be going belly up... I would have been called crazy. Now we all accept that things change. Maybe we accepted too much, too easily. I know world trade may have some starts and stops for a while. And no one can say who or what will still be standing when the music stops. But I remain optimistic about the American future. I think we can turn this around. I think X10's willingness to alter its format, Web Site, and product line says positive things for the future of X10.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 01:12:13 PM by HA Dave »

astrothug

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 02:20:02 PM »

well I had a chat with X10 this morning and asked if the CM15A is in stock they said "no" and no ETA to when it will be in stock.
X10.com then take down the damn links or put up NOT In STOCK, simple.
I then left a message regarding pulling down the pages offering the CM15A or at least say OUT OF STOCK on the page, instead of taking peoples moneys and sending them inferior products.

I go to other other websites and when the product is not in stock it says so, no wonder why people get upset with X10 they have bad practises.

I hope your right Dave, as I love the X10 home automation and have had no problems with anything I have bought from them, I just don't like there practises of taking money and sending something different.  B:(

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2011, 02:30:21 PM »

Dave; I also hope you are correct, but I am having a hard time in believing X10 is not in trouble or radically changing gears.

My problem is, with the report of them going into receivership and closing the Chinese Plant.
If it is a hoax. I would expect X10's lawyers or X10 itself would disputed it. Not act like an ostrich. Sticking their head in the sand and saying nothing.

I also find the fact that someone has had a refund due, for I believe two months. Only to be told they where on a Priority Payment List.
Sounds like cash flow issues.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 04:00:06 PM by Brian H »

HA Dave

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2011, 08:47:53 PM »

I hope your right Dave, as I love the X10 home automation and have had no problems with anything I have bought from them....

Dave; I also hope you are correct, but I am having a hard time in believing X10 is not in trouble or radically changing gears.

I am not concerned about being right. Here is the link that every post I can google refers to: http://techtipsandtoys.wordpress.com/2011/08/15/x10-shutting-down-going-into-receivership/ but as much as I search... I can't find that August 11th announcement. If you guys would review the BLOG... maybe you can find credibility there I can't. After all... who hasn't heard of DJ's Sound City? I think his blog is phony. It has every earmark of an Internet hoax.

Is X10 having problems... are they in trouble? Hell American City's (and soon States) are going bankrupt, banks are going under, General Motors is owned by the government and the President of the United States in deciding what kind of cars they will make! Circuit City closed its doors... and Best Buy may soon... do the same. We are slipping into a currency colapse and a global depression... and do I think X10 will be OK? I was actually a little more concerned about my wife and I being able to barter or buy enough food to stay alive... than I was worried about X10.

I don't know what businesses will weather the current economic storm. I make NO claims that X10... or any other automation company will.

I emailed the BLOGer at his posted email address (below) and asked for the source of the receivership announcement:
DJ's Sound City
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
info@djsoundcity.com

I asked simply: Do you have real information about X10 USA going into receivership? Your blog has seemed to cause quite a stir.

His reply shows he seems excited about causing a stir... but he offered NO information:

Quite a stir really?
There certainly hasn't been that many hits on that post to warrant quite a stir status - very surprised to hear you refer to it in that manner.
What type of stir are your referring to? Could you be more specific as to the nature of your inquiry?
Are you and end user?
Doyle Serink
Ion Security / DJ's Sound City
Blog: techtipsandtoys.com
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 09:18:26 PM by HA Dave »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2011, 10:44:50 AM »

Here is the link that every post I can google refers to: http://techtipsandtoys.wordpress.com/2011/08/15/x10-shutting-down-going-into-receivership/ but as much as I search... I can't find that August 11th announcement

http://www.cepro.com/article/the_end_of_x10/
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

bvrwally

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2011, 11:11:51 AM »

Love the video clip!!! Priceless indeed!!!! :)
ActiveHome..SmartMacros..MyHouseonLine...ActivePhone...IwatchMobilePro...HotBodyAlert
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.