Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Video Sender/Receiver  (Read 5345 times)

birdzeye

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Video Sender/Receiver
« on: October 23, 2011, 11:14:51 AM »

If you have an HDTV with composite inputs (rca yellow/white/red plugs) and plug the video sender into that, and have the video receiver plugged into a regular analogue tv set (not hd) will you be able to get any picture sent/received?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Video Sender/Receiver
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2011, 11:23:35 AM »

You need composite video outputs to drive the video sender module.
The composite video inputs on the HDTV are for getting a signal from an external video source into the HDTV.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 11:25:25 AM by Brian H »

birdzeye

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2011, 12:32:07 PM »

Thanks Brian. Could I then SEND the signal to the HDTV from an analog TV+video sender?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2011, 12:40:36 PM »

If the Analog TV had a composite video out. It could be sent to the HDTV in standard resolution video. If it has a analog sound out. It would also be sent.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2011, 01:01:03 PM »

A DVD recorder, or even an old VCR will have the needed TV tuner and video composite and audio RCA output plugs required in most cases as well.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

birdzeye

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2011, 07:10:08 PM »

So if I had a HDTV and hooked an old VCR with composite in&outputs I could plug the video sender into the VCR composite outputs and send the signal to another TV? Is that correct?

What if your TV service is, for example, with Bell and you have one of their HD PVR's? Will the above still work?

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2011, 09:07:33 PM »

So if I had a HDTV and hooked an old VCR with composite in&outputs I could plug the video sender into the VCR composite outputs and send the signal to another TV? Is that correct?

No. Camera outputs to to any other devices INputs. If it is a VCR or other recording device you can then use the OUTput from it. Sometimes you can use the (selected) channel output too. That allows you to use coax. You might be able to use an A B switch then. 

What if your TV service is, for example, with Bell and you have one of their HD PVR's? Will the above still work?

I don't know. You might want to try to INput the camera into a composite input RCA input on the TV as a test. You will then need to select that input in your TV's setting... to view the camera. Then reset the same setting to watch your HD TV afterwards.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2011, 08:41:38 AM »

Unless your HDTV has OUTPUT jacks, you won't be able to get the signal out of it, and share that on another TV.

However, if you are pumping a signal INTO the TV in the first place (like from a DVD player, cable/satellite receiver, digital tuner, etc), then you MIGHT be able to split that output (there are a number of splitters out there for different types of signals), and send one half to the HDTV, and the other half to the Video Sender (which would feed a second TV).

I'm doing something similar to this.
My cable box has multiple OUTPUTS, and is capable of feeding the signal to all of them at once.
I feed one TV with the HDMI output, a second TV with the Component output, and two others with the Composite output (using a Composite RCA distribution amplifier I bought at Radio Shack to split that signal).

If I had a video sender, I could hook it to one of the unused outputs of the distribution amplifier, and send that signal to an additional TV if I wanted.

birdzeye

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2011, 04:07:36 PM »

My current setup is as follows:

-TV cable goes to Bell receiver
-"TVset out" on bell receiver goes to VCR
-"TVout" on VCR goes to coaxial on old analog TV
-x10 receiver inputs the VCR
-video sender/receiver outputs from VCR

This all works well, with both TV signal and x10 camera signals being sent to another TV upstairs.
I was just wondering how this would work if I just substituted the old analog TV with an HDTV, keeping the same setup as above. I don't understand why it wouldn't work.

William8

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2011, 06:26:15 PM »

I would hook the Bell PVR directly to the HDTV with HDMI or Component jacks (red,green, blue, if I recall) it should have at least one of these outputs, that will get you the best picture quality. And then hook the composite out (yellow) to the video sender. You may need Y connectors to hook the analog audio to both, if it doesn't have HDMI or optical out to run to the HDTV.

birdzeye

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 12:16:15 PM »

I don't have a Bell PVR yet, just the regular satellite receiver with the setup I noted in my previous post.

So really, the only difference would be the quality of the picture if I just left my setup the way it is, but using a HDTV instead of an old analog one, right? The picture would be not HD but I'd still get a picture?

William8

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 03:01:46 PM »

Both devices need to be connected to the satellite receivers outputs then, same as I mentioned for the PVR. Why have an HDTV if you don't feed it the best signal you have? Analog TV looks better on an old CRT.

birdzeye

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 09:27:16 AM »

Both devices need to be connected to the satellite receivers outputs then, same as I mentioned for the PVR. Why have an HDTV if you don't feed it the best signal you have? Analog TV looks better on an old CRT.

Because I still want to use the video sender to see my x10 cameras on an old tv, and also want to view free HD channels on the HDTV.

HA Dave

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 01:49:56 AM »

It is nice to view cameras right on the TV. But don't pass up the HD! There is a couple ways to do this. One is just convert the camera video to HDMI and then use an auto HDMI switcher.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 01:54:05 AM by HA Dave »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.