Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Range Extension/Newbie Questions  (Read 6778 times)

bfineman

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Range Extension/Newbie Questions
« on: November 07, 2011, 04:49:08 PM »

Hi all, I'm going to ask what is probably a newbie question. I just bought an ActiveHome package with a CM19A. It didn't come with any powerline modules, but I'd like to add some. Do I just need a TM751? How do I overcome the two phase issue that I've heard about? Two TM751s?

Also, the range of the CM19A is woefully insufficient for my house (though it's a small house). Is there a device that acts as a wireless range extender?

Thanks all,
Ben

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Range Extension/Newbie Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 06:17:51 PM »

Do I just need a TM751? How do I overcome the two phase issue that I've heard about? Two TM751s?

Also, the range of the CM19A is woefully insufficient for my house (though it's a small house). Is there a device that acts as a wireless range extender?
Two TM751s, one on each phase and positioned close to the CM19A will probably work OK. One TM751 and a XPCR repeater is another solution.

No there is no wireless "range extender" (X10 RF Repeater) any more. Some of the RF transmitters can have range increased by a "passive repeater" antenna (search the forum for "passive repeater" and "reflector". The CM19A is no replacement for the CM15A interface. But appearently X10 has run out of the CM15A and it doesn't sound like they will build more. The good news is two outstanding electronc engineers / designers who frequent this forum are planning on building replacement devices, so stay tuned to this station. 
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

bfineman

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2011, 09:02:15 AM »

Dave, thank you. It looks like I can get two TM751s for about $30, so that could be a cheap solution, unless I'm asking for trouble by taking the easy way out. Could you say more about why "the CM19A is no replacement for the CM15A interface"? You mean in terms of range? It looks like I could get a CM15A on eBay for around $80, and I might be willing to pony up the extra $50 if it's worth it. Although I've also read that you get a different version of ActiveHome when you buy the CM15A bundle vs the CM19A, so maybe this is not an option for me.

For my own understanding - does the TM751 catch the RF commands from remote sensors and retransmit them so the CM19A can pick them up? And vise-verse?

I've also read that the RR501 is another option - does that have any advantage over the TM751?

If it makes a difference, what I'm currently looking to extend the wireless range of are some motion and door/window sensors, and some security remotes.

Thanks,
Ben

B.A.

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2011, 09:22:25 AM »

If it makes a difference, what I'm currently looking to extend the wireless range of are some motion and door/window sensors, and some security remotes.

The TM751 will not "pick up" the signals from the door/window sensors or security remotes.
You need the CM15A with the OnAlert plugin for that.

I would spend the extra $50 for the CM15A and consider an antenna mod IF I knew it would be back in stock
some day and not discontinued as rumored. So it's a bit of a risk right now.

bfineman

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2011, 09:47:16 AM »

Thanks BA. I guess I should have been more clear - is there a device to help me get the RF signals from the door/window/motion sensors to my CM19A? Moving the computer is not really an option, and it doesn't pick up some of the sensors where it's currently located. I do have the OnAlert plugin.

If I buy a CM15A is it likely to work with the ActiveHome software build that I have?

B.A.

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2011, 12:09:32 PM »

is there a device to help me get the RF signals from the door/window/motion sensors to my CM19A? Moving the computer is not really an option, and it doesn't pick up some of the sensors where it's currently located. I do have the OnAlert plugin.

I don't believe there is such a product. You would need to mod to improve reception on the CM19 or add a passive antenna on the sensors

If I buy a CM15A is it likely to work with the ActiveHome software build that I have?

I thought they both used the same build but I could be wrong

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2011, 01:04:41 PM »

Thanks BA. I guess I should have been more clear - is there a device to help me get the RF signals from the door/window/motion sensors to my CM19A? Moving the computer is not really an option, and it doesn't pick up some of the sensors where it's currently located. I do have the OnAlert plugin.

The answer is YES!!  AHP was built for the CM15A!.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2011, 02:07:57 PM »

Yes a CM15A will work with what you have. In fact it was the original AHP interface for many years.
Though it is not known for great RF reception distances. So it maybe no better than a CM19A reception wise.
Also the CM15A is out of stock and depending on who you ask. It maybe back in stock someday or it is discontinued.

bfineman

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2011, 02:39:23 PM »

Cool, thanks guys.

So it [CM15A] maybe no better than a CM19A reception wise.

Hmm. Since reception distance is currently my main issue, maybe this is not a good solution for me. I was curious about this comment:

The CM19A is no replacement for the CM15A interface.

Are there other reasons why the CM15A is better than the CM19A + TM751?

bfineman

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2011, 03:13:00 PM »

Also, I know the PSX01 is discontinued, but if I can get a used one is that worthwhile? Or do they not work well?

Thanks!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2011, 03:44:14 PM »

Are there other reasons why the CM15A is better than the CM19A + TM751?

Yes. The CM15A has PLC receiver and (obviously) transmitter, so any commands coming from a powerline controller e.g. Mini and Maxi Controllers, PowerFlash, any wall switch that transmits status when turned on or off at the switch (SmartHome switches).
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2011, 06:09:30 PM »

The CM15A also has some memory in it.
You can download timers and simple macros to it and it can run alone.
The CM19A+TM751 has to run from the computer 24/7 to work.

bfineman

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2011, 01:24:21 PM »

The CM15A has PLC receiver and (obviously) transmitter, so any commands coming from a powerline controller e.g. Mini and Maxi Controllers, PowerFlash, any wall switch that transmits status when turned on or off at the switch (SmartHome switches).

I think I am getting closer to understanding! So, the RR501 has transmit capability - if I added one of those instead of a TM751 would that give me the ability to receive commands coming from a powerline controller on my CM19A?

The CM15A also has some memory in it.
You can download timers and simple macros to it and it can run alone.
The CM19A+TM751 has to run from the computer 24/7 to work.

Thanks Brian, this makes sense to me. My setup is on a 24/7 computer, but I know that can be a non-trivial requirement if one doesn't have one of those already.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2011, 01:36:42 PM »

The CM19A has no power line receiver and can not see any power line commands.

The RR501 has a power line receiver in it so you could use a X10 controller to turn its Unit Code 1 or 9 {switch setting} On and Off.
It will not transmit a RF signal from a received power line signal so the CM19A still will not see any power line signals.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.