Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Airpad 1 and Airpad X?  (Read 13182 times)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Airpad 1 and Airpad X?
« on: November 16, 2011, 08:15:14 PM »

OK was looking in the X10 ftp manuals area and saw a manual for a different Airpad.
The original is called the Model Airpad1.
The newer one is called the Model AirpadX.
Have not had a chance to look at the new manual to see what it says.

http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Airpad
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/AirpadX
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 08:27:46 PM by Brian H »

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
Re: Airpad 1 and Airpad X?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 09:26:40 PM »

It looks like they just introduced their new product - a 10.2-inch tablet:

http://www.x10.com/promotions/airpad_x_10_inch_android_tablet.html?BIG
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 09:33:52 PM by Noam »

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 09:48:41 PM »

RATS!

Happy Thanksgiving, Charlie Brown!
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 09:49:08 PM »

NOT an intercom... (or outercom). Very cool and for $250 a real deal as well. Thanks for sharing!
Home Automation is an always changing technology

pseeker

• Helpful Post Rating: 12
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2011, 06:22:12 AM »

Competitively priced for a established USA importer! A Cortex A9 should give it better battery life with more performance at lower clock speed than the Cortex A8.  Looks like a Zenithink ZT-280 C91.  If it is, then its got great reviews out there with known established tablet manufacturer, and possibility of hacks to put the Official Android Market. It should do well out there.

everydayflyer

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2011, 07:14:36 AM »

Is it this one?

http://www.chinatabletspcs.com/Zenithink-ZT-280-C91-10-2-Android-2-3-Capacitive-CORTEX-A9-1GMHz-512MB-DDR-Wifi-3G.html

This is going to get real confusing,perhaps.

An X-10 AP  now called AirPad 1  ,first ones with Android market  then later without.
Now X-10 AP X .

I know from experience that most users will post along the lines of

Having video problems with my AirPad.

I am not sure where a 10" pad fits in. For the same cost one can purchase a laptop with user replaceable batteries (can carry spares) have more of everything.  I purchased a 15.6" Laptop for $300  Win 7 64 bit ,3 GB  DDR3 ram, HDMI duel screen output , CD/DVD lightscribe burner,Wi fi and ethernet,320 GB HD so no way $250 for a 10" pad sounds good to me.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 07:26:39 AM by everydayflyer »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 12:02:40 PM »

This is going to get real confusing,perhaps. An X-10 AP  now called AirPad 1  ,first ones with Android market  then later without.
Now X-10 AP X .

I am shocked X10 didn't give BOTH devices... the exact same name. That would have true to their history.

I am not sure where a 10" pad fits in. For the same cost one can purchase a laptop with user replaceable batteries (can carry spares) have more of everything.  I purchased a 15.6" Laptop for $300  Win 7 64 bit ,3 GB  DDR3 ram, HDMI duel screen output , CD/DVD lightscribe burner,Wi fi and ethernet,320 GB HD so no way $250 for a 10" pad sounds good to me.

I can remember back-in-the-day... recommending to people (I was the IT guy) to buy desktops... instead of overpriced underpowered laptops. After all... desktops were easily repairable and upgradable. But laptops... was at that time... a sexy and convenient waist of money.

I myself, so rarely touch my desktop nowadays. I still have a scanner connected to it... so from time to time I boot the ole desktop up... to scan something. A $50 scanning wand with a built-in SD flash card... and the desktop is history. I now mostly use the laptop from my easychair (like right now). Although I still have a desk in the room I call my office... I am not completely sure why.

I don't know what is it I do with a laptop... that I couldn't do just as well with a tablet. I know I use the laptop to to burn a DVD copy of all the pictures I've taken each year (to share with family). But I guess could just as easily post them for download.

I know the popularity of tablets has driven down the price of laptops. I don't know if this is the year that tablets replace the old home computers... which are now mostly laptops anyway. But for many people... it could be.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

pseeker

• Helpful Post Rating: 12
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 03:00:49 PM »

I have owned 7", 8", and 10" tablets.  

I now use 9.7" HP Touchpad (ebayed or craiglisted my older tabs).   With a 10" you do less pinch and zoom to read website or read car repair manual in PDF format which  is a pain to do with 7" tab.  Bad part of 10" it is heavy relative to the smaller tabs especially if you hold it as a book.  My ideal size is 8" That extra inch makes a big difference and I miss it.   The touchpad is used to lookup recipes, act as newspaper with morning cup of coffee, baby monitor viewer, education tool for my kid and so many other things

I am not sure where a 10" pad fits in. For the same cost one can purchase a laptop with user replaceable batteries (can carry spares) have more of everything.  I purchased a 15.6" Laptop for $300  Win 7 64 bit ,3 GB  DDR3 ram, HDMI duel screen output , CD/DVD lightscribe burner,Wi fi and ethernet,320 GB HD so no way $250 for a 10" pad sounds good to me.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2011, 03:07:14 PM by pseeker »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 04:14:29 PM »

My ideal size is 8" That extra inch makes a big difference and I miss it.
I just ordered a Vizio VTAB1008, an 8" tablet running Android, and with a built-in Infrared Universal Remote Control. My left hand is paralyzed so I'm hoping it isn't going to be too big and awkward to cradle in the crook of my left arm. If so, I'll probably look for an easel-like support and add a BT kb/mouse.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 05:43:25 PM »

RATS!

You close to a Best Buy? Black Friday is coming.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

shuggins

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 10:16:29 PM »

>no way $250 for a 10" pad sounds good to me.

I see.  And $200 for a 7" Airpad (first version at that) sounds really good, doesn't it?   Sounds like you got burned....and you are feeling it.

everydayflyer

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 07:55:40 AM »

Yes I got burned a little as I now know the AP 7" could have been purchased for $170 just like the new 10" one can be for $210 but that is not my point.

My point is as the size increases you lose mobility convience and as the price goes up they get nearer to real computer (computing power) prices.

Each has different needs / desires.  My statement is accurate for me.  I still use two desktops each day as I need their computing power, I have a backup Laptop which rarely gets used, a Laptop I use weekly and a backup desk top that has been powered up a few times.

At present time a pad,tablet or laptop  for less than around $2,000 does not have the processing power of my desktops.  I enjoy my 25" LCD  display  and at times it is a necessacity for some of the work I do.

q711179

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2011, 01:28:23 PM »

Yes I got burned a little as I now know the AP 7" could have been purchased for $170 just like the new 10" one can be for $210 but that is not my point.

My point is as the size increases you lose mobility convience and as the price goes up they get nearer to real computer (computing power) prices.

Each has different needs / desires.  My statement is accurate for me.  I still use two desktops each day as I need their computing power, I have a backup Laptop which rarely gets used, a Laptop I use weekly and a backup desk top that has been powered up a few times.

At present time a pad,tablet or laptop  for less than around $2,000 does not have the processing power of my desktops.  I enjoy my 25" LCD  display  and at times it is a necessacity for some of the work I do.

That is just it, the device whatever it is, must fit the use you intend for it. That's what makes it the perfect device for you regardless of it's specifications and hardware capabilities. That is where tablets can come into play, and quite honestly the AP has fit nicely into my lifestyle, though for others it could be a waste of money. I have been using my laptop far less these days as the 7" AP is far more portable than even a 10" model.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 03:43:23 PM »

I see on the sales page today. They dropped the price of the 7" Airpad 1 to $179.99

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2011, 02:13:25 PM »

RATS!

You close to a Best Buy? Black Friday is coming.

It's not that.

Just seems like since the new alarm panel and the CM15 are gone, and the company teases us with a new product (not an intercom), and then they come up with this (fairly generic tablet),  I feel like someone pulled the football away just before I got to kick.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.