Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Question about IP cameras - does this exist? New here.  (Read 19251 times)

Python49

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Question about IP cameras - does this exist? New here.
« on: November 19, 2011, 12:04:10 AM »

I am interested in purchasing an IP camera that I can access/view from the internet at all times.  The location that I want to set the camera up however is on a job site with no internet connection of our own.  Are the IP cameras self-sufficient and accessible directly?  As in, set the camera up and just access it through laptop or phone?  Or does that functionality not exist?  Also, if a network connection is required for an IP camera, if the owner of a nearby network allowed use of theirs, this would work, correct?

Dr.Fiero

• Helpful Post Rating: 7
Re: Question about IP cameras - does this exist? New here.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2011, 12:15:07 AM »

AFAIK, X10 doesn't have exactly what you're referring to.

I went with a D-Link DCS-930L. $89cdn at Best Buy.

Comes with the camera, and a wall wart for power. 
Plug it in, set it up, and you have CLEAR video from anywhere in the world, assuming you have net access.
And yes, you DO need to have it within wireless range, and have access to that router.
It does also support wired, but you can only run cat5 about 1000ft (which is still more than wireless mind you).

Python49

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 01:09:05 AM »

Ok so the location of where the camera itself is needs to be able to access a wireless network that's YOURS?  The job site in question is a construction site where we do not have internet set up but surrounding neighbors do.  Would I have to use their network in order to set the camera up?  The steps would be set up camera at job site, set up router, connect using neighbors internet to router, then connect to router from anywhere in world where I have internet?  I was looking to not have to use neighbors internet but think they may be fine with it if I ask.

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 06:53:43 AM »

if u go thru their wireless network and not ask them, it is stealing:  u can get in trouble with the law or at least hurt your conscience (I hope :)  )

if u ask them and tell them u will be having a nearby camera to watch for THIEVES I bet they invite you in fast!

yes, u can use someone else's internet connection to get to the internet.  IIRC from my IP camera, it required some port settings to get thru the router to access a static IP domain that u go to in order to see ur pix.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 08:46:49 AM »

Wireless routers are inexpensive. I've a Belkin N-150 that cost $25-30 which can be set to only allow predefined MAC addresses access to the LAN but it allows any WiFi enabled device to access the Internet. Buy one and give it to a neighbor. They can control access to their LAN (or just leave it unconnected to their LAN) and you get to the webcam. Plus, the thieves can only steal the webcam.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Wireless-150N-Router-F6D4230-4/dp/B001V72S06
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 08:55:35 AM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Dr.Fiero

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 10:04:18 AM »

As said above, plus....

I got an e-flyer from ...  X10 this morning!  (OMG!  that just never happens!  <-- intense sarcasm BTW).

Seem that THEY now have an IP camera, that has integrated tilt & pan (my D-link is a fixed base) as well, for only $99.
So, that made a quick liar out of me on THAT aspect. ;)

Anyhow, that aside, hopefully you can borrow someone close by's wireless.
And you WILL probably need physical access to it, since it'll probably be WEP (MAC, etc) locked down, so you'd need to enter the MAC address of the device, or at a minimum get the WEP (etc) key from the owner.

With luck, this new IP camera X10 has will be decent ( ::) sigh...).  I've only got one D-link device right now, so I'm not really married to the system.  I'm going to take a stab at one of these new X10 just for the heck of it.  They better not jack the price up more than 10-20% after this 'introductory price' though I tell ya!!!!  You listening x10?!?!  I'll be way pissed if I jump on board then they go up 50% or something!!!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 10:40:35 AM »

This appears to be the same camera that is available from several suppliers on the internet for $55 to $70.  The software seems the same, and I'm not sure that it will function with any X10 commands at all.  (Just my opinion.)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2011, 11:10:46 AM »

{unrelated musing}
It appears X10 is slowly switching the web store from X10 manufactured products to, similar in function, 3rd party manufactured products. I guess once they liquidate all the wall switches, Lamp Modules, and Appliance Modules, they will essentially be just another web based reseller.  :'(
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

mike

• Helpful Post Rating: 14
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2011, 03:12:59 PM »

Ya, but, I bet they don't become just another reseller of other's stuff;  they will be a reseller of other's stuff BUT WILL LIMIT ITS PERFORMANCE AND especially RANGE TOO!  And offer tech support by folks who don't..... STOP ME!... sorry... fade.....

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2011, 05:31:13 PM »

Ya, but, I bet they don't become just another reseller of other's stuff;  they will be a reseller of other's stuff BUT WILL LIMIT ITS PERFORMANCE AND especially RANGE TOO!  And offer tech support by folks who don't..... STOP ME!... sorry... fade.....
???
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Python49

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2011, 06:12:20 PM »

http://www.x10.com/promotions/airsight_wireless_ip_camera.html?SN
This camera still requires a wifi connection in the fascinity of the physical camera though, right? 

I was planning on asking my neighbors of course to use their internet, but how easy would it be to set up?  Would it involve needing them to set it up from their computer or can the router that's purchased with the camera just connect to their network with their consent, and then it's working?

Dr.Fiero

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 09:53:15 AM »

Like any wi-fi product, you need to be in radio range. 
And as for hooking to the neighbors router, it will totally depend on how they happen to set up their particular unit.

This certainly is a rebadged Foscam (or one of it's many clones!).
I just bought a clone one yesterday.  FAR far better than my D-link (see above) which is getting returned today!

If you choose not to go through the hassles of importing one from over seas, the airsight should work well for you.
Set up is fairly easy (though I'm quite technically inclined). If you can add a laptop (etc) to your network, this is really no different.
Operation (on mine) is decent with only minor quirks.
Since these are working with a STANDARD (unlike x10's non standard video), there are many other bits of software that will work with it.
Video is CLEAR, even in the dark (depending on range), and daylight operation is great.
Use over the internet is totally painless, via iPhone or desktop browser.
Can be integrated into a wired alarm.

Jeff M

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2011, 04:45:02 PM »

This is a clone of the Foscam IP camera, and in fact, an older Foscam model.  A previous poster mentioned deals in the $55 to $70 range.  I paid $57 about a year ago for what is identical to the "new" X10 camera.  Purchased it from ww.dealextreme.com.  Just search for IP cameras.  No problems other than waiting a couple of weeks for delivery, but shipping was free.  No advantage purchasing from X10 since they don't put a premium on customer support anymore.

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2011, 05:43:37 PM »

The steps would be set up camera at job site, set up router, connect using neighbors internet to router, then connect to router from anywhere in world where I have internet?  I was looking to not have to use neighbors internet but think they may be fine with it if I ask.

I am not an expert, but to view the pictures from "anywhere in the world", I believe you will need to configure something called 'port-forwarding' on the router.   That isn't easy, but there is a software called PFConfig which can help.
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.