Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: New to this. Many Questions  (Read 2313 times)

Vernolaz

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
New to this. Many Questions
« on: November 20, 2011, 07:49:09 PM »

I am thinking of automating my home with X10. I have a lot of questions and will have more to come. I am trying to get a big picture before I start.

1) Regarding energy savings, does a PC need to be on all the time or is there a module of some type that retains the schedules, commands etc? It seems that leaving a PC on 24/7 would start me out already needing some energy savings just to make up for the PC's energy usage.
2) Regarding switches, does this technology utilize the neutral wire in the home's wiring to communicate? If so, is there some provision for light switch boxes that have no neutral?
3) Is everything compatible? Can I start with something like the 9 piece kit and then later upgrade to something with a camera or cell phone control or do I run the risk of "throwing away" some of my previous purchases in order to take it to the next level?
4) How does the cell phone control work? Is there a powered, addressed, internet connected module that is tied into my home network? Or is it like a remote desktop type control or something else?

These will get me started. Hopefully someone has the patience and knowledge to get me through the start of this.
Thanks in advance for your time and help

kenrad

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
Re: New to this. Many Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2011, 09:56:44 AM »

I am thinking of automating my home with X10. I have a lot of questions and will have more to come. I am trying to get a big picture before I start.

1) Regarding energy savings, does a PC need to be on all the time or is there a module of some type that retains the schedules, commands etc? It seems that leaving a PC on 24/7 would start me out already needing some energy savings just to make up for the PC's energy usage.
2) Regarding switches, does this technology utilize the neutral wire in the home's wiring to communicate? If so, is there some provision for light switch boxes that have no neutral?
3) Is everything compatible? Can I start with something like the 9 piece kit and then later upgrade to something with a camera or cell phone control or do I run the risk of "throwing away" some of my previous purchases in order to take it to the next level?
4) How does the cell phone control work? Is there a powered, addressed, internet connected module that is tied into my home network? Or is it like a remote desktop type control or something else?

These will get me started. Hopefully someone has the patience and knowledge to get me through the start of this.
Thanks in advance for your time and help

YOu don't need a computer on allthe time if you have he CM15A interface it allows you to down load timers and macros, but it sounds like x10 is stopping the production of those but they are still out there on ebay.
The neutral wire depends on the module that is being used but as a general answer "YES" they have modules to work around this
X10 is easily expandable you can always add on to your setup but it seems that there are always extra pieces but as it grows you usually find somewhere to put them.
The cell phone control I personally am not a big fan of.  but there is an excellent after market app out there for android and Iphone called X10 commander I highly recommend it, just remember that for hte phone apps to work the pc must be running and they do involve a little portforwarding on your router

Hope this helps

>!Kenrad

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: New to this. Many Questions
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2011, 10:55:59 AM »

2) The two wire X10 modules. Use power stolen through the load. So they only work with incandescent type bulbs.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.