Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: No more CM15A's  (Read 26434 times)

orcusomega

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
Re: No more CM15A's
« Reply #60 on: November 27, 2011, 06:10:58 PM »

Ironically, we are discussing their demise on their own website, and they don't even respond.  Sometimes a lack of response is a response in itself.

Bob

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #61 on: November 27, 2011, 11:28:10 PM »

Ironically, we are discussing their demise on their own website,

I am not sure ironic is the correct word. I think many of us regulars here will on occasion... moderate our own comments... in regards to some of X10 actions. But.... I don't think X10's problems are completely the fault of X10's actions.

I am convinced by many things, and for many reasons that America is entering into a depression. Whether the depressions cause is blamed on the actions of other nations like China, or Greece (or the PIGS nations). Or if the economic disruption is is blamed on American imperialism... is purely academic.

General Motors, the unrivaled global manufacturing behemoth of generations.... restructured in a special (Government forced) bankruptcy in '09. Bank of America, who created the first Credit Card that was actually usable by the average person. BankAmericard (now Visa) made the already strong and famous bank globally iconic. Yet, BoA stands today only on government aid.

I just hope X10 can jiggle its business model around with a Site similar to Smarthome and others. If X10 can broaden its market and be successful it will be doing better than what some of the best have done recently. And... then... someday... maybe... we might even see a new, completely different, more advanced programable interface device. Which.... X10 will likely also name a CM15A (causing great confusion). Let us just hope... that somethings never change.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 11:31:08 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #62 on: December 01, 2011, 08:53:34 AM »

I see on the X10 web site. They now have SkyLink Security Systems and Remote Lighting Kits.
Guess their products are almost gone.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #63 on: December 01, 2011, 09:25:45 AM »

I see on the X10 web site. They now have SkyLink Security Systems and Remote Lighting Kits.
Guess their products are almost gone.
They are branching out. I have no idea what their strategy is, but I guess they felt that focusing mainly on Home Automation was not longer as profitable as they needed it to be.

They have been indicating (both on Facebook and in e-mails I've gotten) that there will be new Home Automation products coming out, but based on this Skylink system, I'm afraid they might be the SkyLink ones, which are 100% NOT compatible with X10.

HA Dave

« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2011, 04:37:55 PM »

They are branching out......... I guess they felt that focusing mainly on Home Automation was no longer as profitable as they needed it to be.

The only thing that ever stays the same.... is change. But to be honest it breaks my heart (a little) to see X10 the company... turn away from X10 products. Although to be honest... the Sky Link security (alarm) system looks like a nice unit... at a really decent price.

I just feel like without X10 products... I have very little function here at the forum... as I have never used any of the new products offered at the X10 Site. For years now... I have joyfully advocated Voice Controlled Home Automation and Bill's Voice Commander. But.... without a CM15A.... there isn't an economical, computerized, way to interface with the automation.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2011, 05:31:46 PM »

But.... without a CM15A.... there isn't an economical, computerized, way to interface with the automation.

Quite a few of my customers are migrating away from AHP.  One PC-based automation system that I use for testing is Home Control Assistant.  They offer a free "X10 Only" version.  It can use the CM15A, CM11A, or XTB-232 as a powerline interface.

Others are switching to HomeSeer.  That is a powerful PC-based automation system that can use the same powerline interfaces, but it is pretty expensive.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

HA Dave

« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2011, 05:53:09 PM »

Quite a few of my customers are migrating away from AHP.  One PC-based automation system that I use for testing is Home Control Assistant.  They offer a free "X10 Only" version.  It can use the CM15A, CM11A, or XTB-232 as a powerline interface.
Jeff

Sorry Jeff... I didn't mean to leave out your XTB-232. I have read nothing but glowing reviews about it. And it is very affordable. I just haven't used one myself.... and only meant to comment on own knowledge base. The XTB-232 is a fine solution to the X10 interface problem. But... now that I am thinking about it.... what Voice Control products could be used with the XTB-232.

But to be honest.... I likely won't be reconfiguring anytime soon. I own two backup CM15As and one CM11A... as well as a CM19A and several TM751s  (in boxes).

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #67 on: December 01, 2011, 06:34:04 PM »

But... now that I am thinking about it.... what Voice Control products could be used with the XTB-232.

The XTB-232 supports the "real-time" CM11A protocol.  Basically, you send it a command in the CM11A format over the RS232 interface, and it forwards it to the powerline in the X10 PLC format.  The reverse is true on receive.  If any Voice Control product will work with the CM11A, then it should also work with the XTB-232, using the PC as the automation controller.

I'm a charter member of the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it club."  So I can certainly understand not wanting to reconfigure.  You should be fine for a long time with a couple of backup units.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #68 on: December 01, 2011, 07:51:04 PM »

I have a bunch of older modules plus a spare CM15A and a backup file of AHP going back at least 4 years.  I'm probably good for 10 or more years.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.