Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

Do you use your AirPad in your Home Automation setup?

Yes
Yes a long with other Android devices.
No not at all, and I have no desire to use it that way.
No But I plan to
No I use a different Android device

Author Topic: Who uses their AIRPAD for HA?  (Read 5362 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Who uses their AIRPAD for HA?
« on: February 24, 2012, 09:58:07 AM »

I found the AirPad to make a nice addition to my HA setup.
In fact it was the reason behind me getting it.
I'd always wanted a small touch screen in my setup.
There are several apps out there that help the AirPad interface nicely all that is needed is a wireless network. ;)
If you don't use the AirPad for HA and you have a HA setup, why don't you use it this way? ???

>!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
Re: Who uses their AIRPAD for HA?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 10:27:22 AM »

If you don't use the AirPad for HA and you have a HA setup, why don't you use it this way? ???
Because I have a Vizio VTAB1008 with a built-in IR remote control instead of an Airpad and because I still have to write an app to interface with the hardware I've designed. It will be one of the last things on my ToDo list.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 11:15:48 AM »

I'd always wanted a small touch screen in my setup.
There are several apps out there that help the AirPad interface nicely all that is needed is a wireless network. ;)

Touchscreen HA setups are near the top on the cool factor list!

Now... I would guess.. you use the AirPad [or other tablet] to talk to you HA PC [Via your home network or the Internet]. Then your HA PC relays instructions/commands to your CM15A. Which isn't so bad... as long as you have one of those old interfaces and one of the new tablets.

X10 needs to create a driver and/or app for the AirPad that will allow the AirPad to talk directly to the CM15A (or even a CM19A or "K" setup) via the tablets USB. Then with a little creative wiring your AirPad could be a wall or desk mounted touchscreen. AND... the tablet/touchscreen could replace the old clunky MicroSoft box that currently runs most AHP/CM15A setups. Tablets can even be made to view and record or email camera footage... PLUS interact with smartphones. X10... is missing the boat!
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 11:42:53 AM »

Now... I would guess.. you use the AirPad [or other tablet] to talk to you HA PC [Via your home network or the Internet]. Then your HA PC relays instructions/commands to your CM15A. Which isn't so bad... as long as you have one of those old interfaces and one of the new tablets.
Yes. I have a CM15A. Though my tablet has suffered the same fate as the CM15A
However a CM15A isn't needed there are apps for almost all controllers.
There even is Homeseer app which supports just about every controller out there.
HA isn't just about using X10 Protocol either as dhouston pointed out.
Sending\Receiving IR, wifi or Bluetooth commands are possible however Bluetooth and IR is out for the AIRPAD.
Thought it is possible to tell a PC to send a Bluetooth or IR command and relay a received  signal back to the AIRPAD.

X10 needs to create a driver and/or app for the AirPad that will allow the AirPad to talk directly to the CM15A (or even a CM19A or "K" setup) via the tablets USB. Then with a little creative wiring your AirPad could be a wall or desk mounted touchscreen. AND... the tablet/touchscreen could replace the old clunky MicroSoft box that currently runs most AHP/CM15A setups. Tablets can even be made to view and record or email camera footage... PLUS interact with smartphones. X10... is missing the boat!
I can't agree More.
If X10 just came out with a AHP SDK type App, end users could create there own interfacing app just like they do for a PC now.
Maybe the next controller X10 comes out with (if they come out with one) will have wifi built in.
How cool would that be?
 >!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 11:45:08 AM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

pseeker

• Helpful Post Rating: 12
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 12:33:38 PM »

I use my android phone to ARM/Disarm my sc1200 alarm system.  The X10 remotes won't reach from outside the house so I use 3G/Wifi as solution  using AHP SDK/OnAlert/CM15A/IIS ASP code.  I know the subject is Airpad but this can be widen to include Android Devices. X10 OnAlert Mobile wasnt reliable for my use.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 12:52:26 PM »

I know the subject is Airpad but this can be widen to include Android Devices. X10 OnAlert Mobile wasnt reliable for my use.
I've added a new selection to the poll for this.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 05:57:22 PM »

..... Maybe the next controller X10 comes out with (if they come out with one) will have wifi built in.
How cool would that be?

Well.... that would be a great "jumping off point". Of course... it was computers that made homes smart. But what makes modern computers smart is integration with other computers/information systems. Now as we all move to cloud computing... we need to think how this will integrate into the cloud. Static programs are to computers.... what no Internet connection is to people. In this case when I type computers... I mean tablets and smartphones as well.

Cloud computing is the future of computing. And it is already happening. I know... once again it goes back to service. You can't BUY cloud space... you can only rent service. But that is where this is all going. And the interconnectivity and information sharing of the cloud is the best of what automation is all about. How could we walk away from that?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 06:00:38 PM by HA Dave »

systemdm

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 08:33:59 PM »

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 10:20:10 PM »

Here you go Dave......  Looks like AT&T is getting into the mix.

http://www.electronichouse.com/article/att_lauches_digital_life_home_automation_service/?utm_source=EHWeeklyNewsletter&utm_medium=email

Yep... and like it says: "it’s a system that lets customers access and control a variety of basic home automation and security devices via a cloud-based platform."

It's a for fee, cloud based, service. We can't come even close to what this stuff will be able to do.... as DIYers. Until recently... it was the DIYers that lead the way using available hardware, imagination, user created software, and a little effort. But this new stuff [using the cloud] is kicking our butts. It does more while costing less (to set up)... but because it's a service... we can't really own it ether.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 10:33:18 PM by HA Dave »

localuser

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 01:31:37 AM »

For home automation, the tablet form factor is pretty ideal wall mount panel.

I have a vera2 system, and am using mochad to control some x10 devices.  

I carry the airpad around to control both x10 and zwave devices.  I have even written a plugin for the vera2 to arm/disarm my sc12 alarm device.

For wall mount panels there are potentially cheaper options than the airpad, but the airpad does work really well for this.  Here is a link to some different options you have for HA tablets including the Airpad and the very similar Skypad that amazon is selling:

http://www.pathfindertech.net/android-4-0-7-inch-tablet-clones/

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2012, 12:07:31 PM »

Here you go Dave......  Looks like AT&T is getting into the mix.

http://www.electronichouse.com/article/att_lauches_digital_life_home_automation_service/?utm_source=EHWeeklyNewsletter&utm_medium=email
Interesting that the AT&T commercial clearly has thermostat shots in Centigrade. AT&T must be buying it from supplier in another country. That, along with being cloud based would/will keep me away.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 05:35:12 PM »

Cloud computing is just a fancy name for using a companies server over the internet.
Many of us have done this for years with AHP only we didn't have to pay a monthy fee.

Not to mention this takes this thread off topic  ::) :'
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.