Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Airsight H.264 SD Wireless camera  (Read 8623 times)

kingfhb

Airsight H.264 SD Wireless camera
« on: May 03, 2012, 06:21:31 PM »

I pre-ordered and received this camera and was VERY anxious to get it up and running... HOWEVER!!! I have had some issues!!!! Now, I have been in the IT field for more than 20 years and pride myself on being able to extensively troubleshoot issues before ever using tech support... so here goes.

1. Software included with the camera (or available for download from the support sight) does not function 100% with the camera. For example...
   a. the presets do not save.
   b. the Microphone (which I've tested on 3 devices using internal and external mics), DOES NOT WORK! All I get is static when I enable the microphone. Tried adjusting mic settings, sensitivity, etc. with NO LUCK.
   c. Email settings -
        I. If you make any changes to the system in any way (Video, Audio, etc.) the SMTP email then fails to communicate with the server until the unit is rebooted.
        II. Emails are sent with header information showing the time using the initial time zone of the unit. In other words, it DOES NOT use the time zone selected.
   d. Wireless settings -
        I. wireless access points appear when searched, but I am unable to make the connection. I am not sure if this is because I use WEP security (an option to use in the software) and it's 128bit encrypted or what, but it does NOT connect to wireless. I have checked and double checked and just for fun checked again and as soon as you disconnect (reboot or not) the LAN connection, NOTHING.
   c. Factory DDNS -
        I. Does NOT work. When I use it in place of the public IP address, it does not resolve properly in ANY circumstance.

d. Cheap Chinese/Japanese interface -
        I. This interface seriously resembles the cheap, low-quality garbage that is offered at rock bottom pricing from Japan or China products. Even the Active X install is littered with Asian writing.
        II. The time should have been taken to test and troubleshoot these issues and "pretty up" the interface before rolling out this product or at the least remove the interface options that don't work with the unit.

There are no firmware updates as yet, nor is there an actual "Client" for Mobile Phones. I guess we're just left to figure that one out. I found one on the Android called "IP CAM VIEWER BASIC". You do have to set the Make to APEXIS and the model to APEXIS H SERIES and it works for viewing, however, audio and mic functionality is not recognized.

I think that's all for now... I like the camera... but I am VERY unhappy with the problems it has that SEVERELY decrease it's value to me. These are issues that should have been resolved LONG before it was offered up as this AMAZING piece of hardware by X-10.       

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 20
  • I am here to help
Re: Airsight H.264 SD Wireless camera
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 08:51:13 PM »

We have shipped many of these cameras, and what you are experiencing is not typical. It it possible that the camera that you received is defective. Please contact customer service at 800-675-3044 for further support.

bagelsgs50

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2012, 02:30:32 PM »

I also have the same problem with the microphone.  I hear mostly static.  If I boost the volume all the way up on my pc I can hear some muffled sounds, but it's basically unusable for audio.

Thanks for the tip about Apexis.  I thought these cameras were based on the Foscam camera, but that did not work in the android apps I tried.  Using Apexis did work.  Plus, if you look at the interface for the Apexis it's exactly the same as for this camera with the exception of the Airsight logo.  So, it seems obvious to me it is Apexis.  I'm not so sure I would be brave enough to flash an Apexis firmware though.  In any case, I doubt it's any better.

I also have a complaint about the SD card.  The only way I saw to record to the SD was either using the motion detection setting or the alarm setting.  I tried the motion detection setting, and it did not record.  Furthermore, the camera went crazy when I turned on motion recording.  It started to move all around when it detected motion (or when I turned the light on or off) and then it "decided" to face the wall.  Also after turning on motion detection I lost the connection to the camera for a while.  There are a lot of "power on" entries in the log, so it seemed like the motion detection caused the whole camera to reset.  All in all I am not so happy.  The SD card is the main reason I bought this camera over the cheaper Airsight.  I was hoping to be able to schedule a recording so I didn't have to leave a pc on.  Instead I still have to leave the pc on to record.  I might as well just stick with my logitech webcam in that case.

Mulligan315

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 05:07:18 PM »

I just received the Airsight SD H.264 camera as well and am experiencing significant difficulty.   I changed the password, set-up the wireless and configured the STMP and FTP settings and everything was fine. I then turned on the motion detecting (using FTP).  The camera is now CONTINUALLY rebooting itself!

I cannot access the camera settings at all now as the camera doesn't stay up long enough.  I tried resetting the camera on the back, but it has no effect.

I contacted customer support by telephone, she suggested I "re-install the software".  This was a little silly given I was accessing it through the web access page.  I did try using the multi-camera software afterwards, but of course the software can't connect to the camera as it doesn't stay up long enough.

I tried contacting customer support by chat.  The representative simply stopped responding after I posted my problem...

I am not pleased.

X10 Repair Depot

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 20
  • I am here to help
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 08:04:24 AM »

There are several issues that will need to be resolved with a firmware update. I will post an update when I hear back from the factory.

bagelsgs50

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 08:57:47 AM »

Yes, that happened to me too.  I didn't realize that it was rebooting.  I thought it just went offline (which was just as frustrating).   Eventually (after several hours) when I left it alone it became accessible again and I was able to turn off the motion detection.  The first several attempts to turn it off did not take, but eventually I managed to turn it off.  I didn't want to do a hard reset and lose my wireless settings.

Tony M.

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2012, 05:57:41 PM »

We would certainly like to look at this. If you could reply back with your order number or email us at x10facebook@x10.com we would be happy to have that unit sent here for testing and get this all figured out.

Thanks,
Tony
X10.com

DoD_engineer

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 02:32:54 PM »

@kingfhb. i was just as frustrated. thank you for posting your problems.  im just as experienced, so  i dont feel so alone now.  i agree... the software is total crap.  while i didnt experience the exact issues you did, many of the features simply did not work at all.
   also agree on the cheap chinese interface... mine was littered with asian text.  and i too had the rebooting issue.

i gave X10 the benefit of the doubt at first, but seeing how so many people are having the same problems, its pretty clear where the root of the problem is.

hardware-wise.... its a great camera! and if X10 gets the firmware fixed, i'd definitely consider purchasing one again.  but for now, back in the box it goes, back to X10.

j_martin67

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 12:37:15 AM »

Same story here. After hours of setup and trouble shoothing I finally had it working locally. Even did both upgrades. Several of the features still did not work, like email notify, setting up motion activated areas, and the speaker and mic crackled and popped like crazy. When I decided it was time to try to port forward I was having issue staying connected, ip would just disappear and camera would freeze. Thought the issue was on my end so I set up new router. After that the camera would only connect for 2-3 seconds after a reboot and then gone. Tried a hard reset, no help. Switched back to original router no help. I am very disappointed with my purchase, and it this point I have spent so much time messing with it X10 should be paying me. I would try tech support but they are only open while I am at work, so it will do no good. Back in the box it goes, I used to love x10 but this experience has left such a bad taste that I will be unlikely to trust them again. :'(

skeptical

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 07:56:25 PM »

I am looking at purchasing a lot of these but am skeptical given this thread and do not want to be a beta tester for x10 and their bad programmers and engineers.

Any progress on the firmware and software updates?

Otherwise, can any members recommend any other products with similar feature sets that they have tried and are satisfied with? I am mostly interested in the email alerts functioning correctly.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.