Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: No Video on VR36A  (Read 7420 times)

mrbuffer545

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
No Video on VR36A
« on: June 22, 2012, 07:59:09 PM »

I hope I'm in the correct place.  I have a VR36A Rx and 2 XC22A cameras and XM16A AC supplies.. Light on the receiver is on. I checked the unloaded voltage on all AC adapters and they all 3 measuring around 20V. Sounds high for a 9V and the 2 12V. I'm seeing horizontal bars across the screen. It seems not matter whether or not the cams are plugged in the pattern on the screen remains. All are on setting A.

If anyone could, please help me with the problem?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: No Video on VR36A
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 08:50:30 PM »

I hope I'm in the correct place.  I have a VR36A Rx and 2 XC22A cameras and XM16A AC supplies.. Light on the receiver is on. I checked the unloaded voltage on all AC adapters and they all 3 measuring around 20V. Sounds high for a 9V and the 2 12V. I'm seeing horizontal bars across the screen. It seems not matter whether or not the cams are plugged in the pattern on the screen remains. All are on setting A.

If anyone could, please help me with the problem?
I don't think the power supplies are regulated, so running high when there is no load is probably normal. The VR36 is a 2.4 gHz unit, which is in the frequency neighborhood of Bluetooth, Wifi, and cordless phones. So try unplugging any of those that you might have and see if camera works then.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 06:02:18 AM »

The power supplies are not regulated as pointed out. Unloaded I have also seen the voltages much higher than its voltage under normal load.
If the cameras are not On and you are getting interference. I would also agree you have some external devices sharing the 2.4Ghz band with your cameras.
Have you tried all four channels available for the cameras and receive? To see if one isn't conflicting with another device.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 09:33:08 AM by Brian H »

mrbuffer545

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 09:57:45 AM »

I will try the other channels. Thank You for your time.

mrbuffer545

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 01:04:14 PM »

I tried all 4 channels and got the same results. However, when I plug power to the cameras, I notice a momentary change on the video. It is as if the video is displayed but the horizontal bars continue to roll. I believe the cameras are working but the VR36A has a problem. Is there any test that I can do to check RX? I am not afraid to open it and check.

Thank You,
Warren C

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 01:40:37 PM »

You did try turning off things like 2.4GHz cordless phones, wireless networks and such?
I don't know of any tests off hand you could try.

mrbuffer545

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 10:16:57 AM »

Yes I turned off the phones even though they are 5.8 Ghz. I thought that 1 camera may be bad but not both?
Thank You for you help.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 02:50:42 PM »

Yes I turned off the phones even though they are 5.8 Ghz. I thought that 1 camera may be bad but not both?
Thank You for you help.
You said you had the bars even when the cameras were unplugged, so no one is considering bad cameras. Brian and I are both looking for sources of outside interference making your receiver go nuts. 5.8 gHz phones probably would not cause heavy black bars. 2.4gHz sources could. If you do not have WiFi and you have the black bars when both cameras are UNPLUGGED either from outlet, or power supply cable from the camera, then it is probably a problem in the receiver or the receiver power supply.

mrbuffer545

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 11:11:00 AM »

Dave, at was the last thing you said, the power supply was the culprit. I didn't have a 9V supply so I tried a 12V 500MA it worked. Is that power supply okay to run with the VR36A?

You Said: >!
If you do not have WiFi and you have the black bars when both cameras are UNPLUGGED either from outlet, or power supply cable from the camera, then it is probably a problem in the receiver or the receiver power supply.

Probably a filter cap in the supply leaking AC through?

I can't thank you guys enough; Dave and Brian !!! You are the best...
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 11:17:05 AM by mrbuffer545 »

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 11:29:02 AM »

I tried a 12V 500MA it worked. Is that power supply okay to run with the VR36A?

Probably a filter cap in the supply leaking AC through?

If it is a regulated supply, yes, it should be (it's actually better than the un-regulated supply X10 provides). I don't think the camera would draw 500mA. But X10 may have a tizzy if it isn't a X10 supply.

Yes it is probably a bad filter cap in the wall-wart.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.