Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Just purchased a "smarthome"...with pieces missing??  (Read 15521 times)

LMCFashions

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Just purchased a "smarthome"...with pieces missing??
« on: July 18, 2012, 10:19:56 AM »

B:( I really hope someone out there can PLEASE help me. My husband and I just bought a home. The previous owner was a HUGE fan of x10 products and went hog wild with all of his own custom wiring and gadgets throughout our home. Unfortunately, he passed away and when his wife decided to sell she made it quite clear that she had NO idea how to work any of his "gadgets". I'm quite tech savvy so I wasn't too concerned about it. Here is my dilemma though; He automated the entire 16 zoned sprinkler system with timers and I SUSPECT that part of the setup was unknowingly taken along with his computer by his wife.  On the wall in the basement is a Calnoria Controls, LLC V-Switch-PLC Base Controller as well as an extension controller. I believe these have been discontinued. Plugged into that was an x-10 Pro Two-way power line interface (model PSC05). The only other thing I have is 3 pin Appliance Module (Model PAM02).
1. Am I correct in thinking that the missing piece would be the FireCracker Computer Interface Plug? If not what do I need to plug into my computer for the communication?
2. If I buy one can I just plug it in and pretty much pick up where it was left off or will I have to reprogram the whole system myself?
3. I downloaded the ActiveHome software and played around with it for a bit and oddly enough it says, "Connected (CM15A) Active house code:A. Is this normal or does it mean that somewhere, SOMETHING is properly communicating with something else? I've ripped this house apart and can't find any other pieces. In the meantime our grass and gardens are dying because we can't use this elaborate system.  :( ???

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Just purchased a "smarthome"...with pieces missing??
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 11:26:20 AM »

1. The CM17A serial port Firecracker sends RF commands and the CM19A USB Firecracker sends and receives RF commands.
You would need a transceiver to translate the RF commands and place them on the power lines. TM751 or RR501 would work.
AHP worked best with the CM15A that is now discontinued. AHP will work with the CM19A.
The CM15A could do power line and RF sending and receiving.
AHP needs a registration number so you would have to by the AHP kit that included the CM19A TM751 and AHP registration number.
After you get the hardware. You would probably have to try different House Codes until you find the House Code the interface is using.

I don't have an idea how much intelligence is in the controllers you have. You for now maybe able to just get a remote transceiver and manually send X10 power line commands to at least turn the water On and Off.

You may want to broaden your search by also asking in the Cocoontech Forums as they have members that use all brands of interfaces and controllers. They may even recognize your interface. If no one here recognizes them.
http://cocoontech.com/forums/
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 11:45:43 AM by Brian H »

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 11:45:30 AM »

There is also a supply of the old CM11A controller still available.  You can find them on eBay for $30.

While it has its share of quirks, it could get you going quickly.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

LMCFashions

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 12:11:19 PM »

Thank you both for your most helpful replies!! I have spent the past 7 days running up and down the basement stairs, every morning, every 30 minutes, for almost 8 hours, manually switching each of the 16 zones on and off, since you obviously can't run them all at once. If I purchase this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/X10-CM11A-2-Way-Computer-Interface-with-Cable-and-Software-disc-v-1-3-/180928252676?pt=Home_Automation_Modules&hash=item2a202a0b04 will I then have everything I need to get this irrigation system up and running on its own timers? Can anyone tell from the picture if the CD included in this auction is the actual ActiveHome program or a generic drivers CD? Again, THANKS SO MUCH!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 12:38:54 PM »

The CM11A uses a serial port on the computer. Though I believe some have used a USB to serial adapter if the computer didn't have a serial port.
The older Active Home Program was supplied on a CD and even if the EBay one had a genetic program. AH is free to download from the X10 software area.

The CM11A can have some timers downloaded to it and then run off line or if they are complex a 24/7 running computer could be used.
If you don't want to wait for the EBay auction to end. The X10 shop has the CM11A available for buying now.
http://www.thex10shop.com/product/x10-genuine-cm11a-activehome-serial-computer-interface

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 01:05:11 PM »

If you don't want to wait for the EBay auction to end.

The eBay listings are BuyItNow with free shipping for $30.  There are a few cheaper ones up for auction.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 01:38:15 PM »

Before buying anything you need to learn more about the Calnoria units. You and those who have responded seem to assume the PSC05 was sending X10 signals to the unit. It is also possible the PLC means Programmable Logic Controller (rather than (Power Line Control) and it was controlling the PSC05 which, in turn controlled things like the lamp appliance module.

Is there a DB9 connector on either of the Calnoria units? Or there may possibly be another telephone style connector that is used for a serial input for programming the unit. Perhaps there's a schematic under one of the covers. We really need to learn much. much more about their capabilities before deciding on a course of action.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 01:48:51 PM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

LMCFashions

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 01:56:15 PM »

http://s1149.photobucket.com/albums/o583/LMCFashions/?action=view&current=photo.jpg The PLC is the programmable Logic Controller and the PSC05 was plugged directly into the base controller. The base and extension controllers are permanently affixed to the walls in the basement and each zone is labeled, ie A1 Front Corner A2 Side Front etc...for each of the zones. My ultimate goal to is get exactly what I need to communicate with those V-Switch PLC controllers so I can set up my own automation. If I can use the existing Powerline interface, great! Otherwise, I just need to know what I should purchase to get me started. Thanks!! :)

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 01:59:02 PM »

You might also try posting to Google Groups comp.home.automation the former usenet group. While it is near death,there are a few old timers who still monitor/post there.

I could find nothing on Calnoria Controls LLC except a couple of references in business directories indicating they are or were located in Modesto, California. I suspect they are defunct and unless we can find documentation, you may have to replace the entire system.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 02:05:44 PM »

Your photo is inadequate - we need better lighting and a closeup of the connections along the bottom of the lower unit. Are any of the connectors labeled?

I suspect this was programmed by downloading to it from a laptop or PC and it then ran standalone, controlling the sprinkler units and PSC05 with no further input. Without documentation and the computer software we are shooting in the dark but I question whether any X10 controller will control either the Calnoria units or the sprinkler valves they control.

Where are you located? Perhaps, one of the experts here lives in your area and could take a look at your gear.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2012, 02:09:58 PM by dhouston »

LMCFashions

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2012, 02:11:52 PM »

http://www.screenshots.com/calnoriacontrols.com/ This was all I found on them. How frustrating.  :'(

LMCFashions

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2012, 02:16:46 PM »

I am in Little Egg Harbor NJ. The gentleman that did this whole set-up was a retired supervisor from PSEG (a local electric & gas company) Everyone that has come to our home, from the cable company to the inspectors and the security alarm installers have said the man must have been brilliant. Everything is as per code...just done quite uniquely.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 02:34:04 PM »

http://www.screenshots.com/calnoriacontrols.com/ This was all I found on them. How frustrating.  :'(

Ahh! While it's not much it does help quite a lot. I was wrong to assume the control logic was within these units. They probably can be controlled by something that can control the PSC05. What's still missing is what controlled the PSC05.
It's not likely it was controlled by a PC. More likely, something like a LynX-10 or Ocelot controlled it.

Where does the PSC05 plug in to power?

LMCFashions

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 03:04:40 PM »

The PSC05 was plugged one end into the AC outlet and the other end was plugged into the module that is coming off of that green board on the bottom of the Base Controller. If you go back to the original screenshot (the one with inadequate lighting) you can see part of the powerline cord from the PSC05 near the bottom left.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 03:34:32 PM »

Calnoria LLC "principal" is listed as "Charles Tracy" 209-527-5173, still in Modesto. You might give him a call to see if he still has some manuals available.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.