Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: WS13A fan switch won't stay off  (Read 3184 times)

roblsmith

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
WS13A fan switch won't stay off
« on: August 24, 2012, 07:26:12 PM »

I just installed a new WS13A single fan switch for a Hunter fan.
I connected the 3 wires of the WS13A fan switch fine (Line/Hot, Load, Neutral) and it works fine in manual mode.

When used in remote mode with mini controller it works fine in the On position but
when push Off, it goes off and instantly toggles back to On as verified by the fan and indicator light on the switch.

If I turn the fan off at the ceiling (ie no load) the fan switch then works perfectly both on and off.

I tried another brand new mini controller and different house code but the same thing happens.

Is the switch defective or what?

Rob

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: WS13A fan switch won't stay off
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 08:00:13 PM »

No the switch and controller are most likely fine. The fan is probably making a noise spike when turning Off. Triggering it back On.
Sometimes it only shows up if the fan is not turned to its fastest speed.
I believe some users here have used a carefully insulated resistor. From Load to Neutral to calm things down.
Not too sure but some may have used a Leviton 6287 wired in filter between the WS13A and the fan.
I am sure someone may give you better details.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 08:09:51 PM by Brian H »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 10:51:23 AM »

Brian is correct, I had same problem, only with an Appliance Module controlling the fan. If the fan turns ON and OFF correctly when the fan is set to the high speed, it is noise or back EMF causing the WS13 to be triggered back ON.

Either replace the WS13A with a XPDI3 inductive dimmer switch which will give you remote speed control (Be warned, some fans will buzz or hum on this switch) OR
Wire a 33K ohm, 3 watt resistor across the fan motor. Make sure the resistor is well insulated and properly supported. I do not know if a resistor, up in the fan shroud or in the switch wall box, meets code, probably not. So if you don't know how to make it safe, go for the XPDI3. My 3 watt resistor barely gets warm, but putting resistors across the line is at your risk.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

roblsmith

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 03:45:26 PM »

Thanks for the tips guys.

I moved the mini remote to a different receptacle and so far it seems to work ok. A couple of years ago I installed a phase bridge at the 220v dryer plug at the other end of the house (about 1900 sf) that solved some other problems but the fan is at the complete opposite end and I'm not sure if that was part of the problem or not.

I'll investigate the XPD13 just in case.

Rob

babybearjs

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 02:38:19 AM »

I've had no problem with mine, they seem to be working OK...

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.