Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: AM466 and XPT-NS  (Read 10454 times)

BBTandT

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
AM466 and XPT-NS
« on: August 30, 2012, 02:02:02 AM »

I  installed a indoor/outdoor landscape transformer in my house and per the guide at x10pro ( http://www.x10pro.com/pro/landscape.appl.html ) I purchased the AM466 applaince module and the XPT-NS/XP1 to control the module.  The transformer is plugged in to the module and the XPT is wired to the house on a circuit on the same phase as the appliance module.   The lights are on (I read here that the AM466 will default to the power on position) but the XP1 does not control anything.

Have I missed something here? Powerline noise maybe?  Will I have a similar problem when my mini timer comes in?

Thanks in advance!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: AM466 and XPT-NS
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 05:58:15 AM »

Did you verify both the AM466 and the XPT-NS are set to the same X10 Address?
I know the default address from the factory is A1 but can't hurt to check it.
You may also want to rotate the House Code and Unit Code dials around a few times. I have personally had a lamp module with a dirty dial switch and be set to a different address than the dials indicated. That rotating cleared it up.

Yes it still can be a noise or signal sucker killing the signal. Even if on the same phase but not the same branch circuit.

Added thought. The AM466 can be tried in a few different locations of the home. To see if some areas work and others do not.

http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm
http://www.act-remote.com/PCC/uncle.htm
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 06:27:34 AM by Brian H »

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 06:22:34 AM »

Any GFCI outlet involved?
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 06:49:10 AM »

Have I missed something here? Powerline noise maybe?  Will I have a similar problem when my mini timer comes in?

Is the XPT is wired into a wall box with a true nuetral? Are you sure it is same phase as the outlet for the AM466? When your timer comes in, you can at least plug it in to same outlet as the AM466 and verify it is working.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

BBTandT

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 02:56:29 AM »

Thanks for the replies!

There is a GFCI involved, and the XPT does have a neutral and a home ground.  And both breakers for the outlet that powers the AM466 and XPT are on the same side of the panel, so same phase, right?

I'll try moving the AM around the house and seeing if I have any better luck.  I've tried different house and channel codes (same on both of course) but same results.  The XPT does feel warm on the lower back side of the unit so I know it's getting power.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 05:44:15 AM »

This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 06:08:51 AM »

One side of a breaker box is not on the same phase and the other side the opposite phase.
Most breaker boxes have adjacent breakers from top to bottom on alternating phase connections.
You may find a chart on the boxes cover showing what each breaker in the row is on each phase.
Two full sized breakers next to each other are normally on opposite phases. Two half sized ones maybe on the same phase.

It is possible your AM466 and XPT-NS are on opposite phases.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 07:08:34 AM »

My $0.02
I had a GFI breaker which passed X10 signals, but had a GFI outlet that stopped them cold. Also most arc fault interuptors stop X10 signals cold.

Also to piggy back on Brians comment. On our Square D panel; each vertical ROW of breaker are on same phase with the next row down on the opposite phase. So looking at column only, each single size breaker in the same column will be on opposite phase as you go down the column. This is logical since it allows a "double wide" (or thick) breaker to bridge both phases and supply 220V to stove, water heater, HVAC, etc. Unfortunately this isn't standardized, but it seems to be fairly common.   Look for double wide breakers for 220V appliances in your panel and that will tell you the buss/phase arrangement.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 07:18:55 AM »

One breaker box arrangement is illustrated at http://davehouston.org/coupling.htm.

IIRC, I liberated the drawing of the breaker box from an X-10 FAQ.

BBTandT

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 11:57:49 AM »

B:(  Okay, that was dumb of me.  I never even thought about the adjacent breakers supplying both phases for 220.

Anyway, I tried the appliance module in the same room as the switch, and it worked.  Then I swapped breakers in the panel to put the switch and transformer on the same phase, and... nothing.

It is a GFCI outlet, but the x10 faqs specify that for landscape lighting control a GFCI needs to be used.  (Plus I'm not wiring this up to the outside and not putting that layer of protection in.)  So you think I need a GFI breaker instead?  Any way to check noise from CFLs, etc to see if that's the culprit?

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 12:31:33 PM »

Any way to check noise from CFLs, etc to see if that's the culprit?

You could buy a meter (like Jeff volp's XTBM), or you could just unscrew the bulbs, and see if that fixes the problem. I've seen "noisy" CFLs that were actually buzzing loudly enough to be heard from a foot or two away.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 12:42:02 PM »

So you think I need a GFI breaker instead?  Any way to check noise from CFLs, etc to see if that's the culprit?
Man, that is a tough question I have new GFI outlet that does not block X10. I can not remember the brand of GFI outlet I had trouble with (was in another house).  Before I went and bought a $50 breaker I would unwire the GFI outlet and wire in a standard outlet and test the Appliance Module.

BBTandT

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 03:00:05 PM »

I'm going to plug it into another outlet on that circuit first and test that way before opening the breaker.  Does proximity on the panelmatter at all?

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 08:40:17 PM »

I'm going to plug it into another outlet on that circuit first and test that way before opening the breaker.  Does proximity on the panelmatter at all?
If you are on the same circuit as the XPT, no. However if you have a noise source on that circuit, proximity to the source will effect the signal, or if the GFI is acting as a "signal sucker", same effect. Test the Appliance Module in outlet on same circuit and close to the XPT .

BBTandT

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2012, 10:26:42 PM »

I did that, reported above. On the same circuit not on gfi it worked. Tonight I'm going to test on different circuits not on gfi.

Update:  plugged into another outlet on the original circuit but not gfi protected, yielded the same result as the original setup.

So, same circuit works. Same phase different circuit gfi protected or not, doesn't work. And while I do have a lot of cfl usage in the house, for this test all lights were off. The only thing still running was the network, which is on the same circuit as the transformer, but does not use power line connections. Everything is wired or wireless.

So,  where to go from here?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 03:02:23 AM by BBTandT »
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.