Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Basic lighting control setup, module issues  (Read 8539 times)

dspiffy

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Basic lighting control setup, module issues
« on: September 16, 2012, 05:16:01 PM »

Hey guys.  I've used X10/Plug & Power products for over 15 years, but this is the first time I've had an issue.

Right now I have what I assume is a very basic setup.  Two 8 channel mini controllers, 4 lamp modules, and 2 appliance modules.

I have a two bedroom condo.  The master bedroom, second bedroom/office, bathroom, and living room ceiling lights are all on one circuit.  The living room plugs are on their own circuit.  And the kitchen plugs are on a third circuit.

In the master bedroom is one controller and one lamp module controlling an incandescent lamp.  There's also a flat screen tv, dvd, a pole lamp with a CFL, two touch lamps with incandescent bulbs, and a window air conditioner.

In the bathroom, there is one lamp module controlling an incandescent lamp.  There is also a vanity light with four CFLs and an exhaust fan.

In the living room there is one controller and one lamp module controlling an incandescent lamp.  There are also three lamps with CFLs and a flat screen tv/dvd/etc.  There are five track lights with halogen bulbs and a ceiling fan, but they are wired with the bedroom circuit.

In the kitchen there is one lamp module controlling an incandescent lamp.  Also on that circuit are the usual myriad of kitchen appliances.

Lastly is the second bedroom/office.  There is one appliance module controlling a window fan.  There is also a desktop computer/router/printer/etc, two lamps with CFLs, a mini fridge, a small TV/VCR, a ceiling fan, and track lights with (2) halogen bulbs.

When I first set this up, the window fan and it's module were plugged into the surge protector along with the computer and it's various peripherals.  The controller in the bedroom would operate it, but not the controller in the living room. I swapped it out with my other appliance module, same thing.  So I tried plugging both appliance modules into every available outlet in the house.  Both modules worked in all outlets from the bedroom controller.  Neither worked in the office surge protector from the living room controller.  Both worked SOMETIMES in an outlet adjacent to the office computer (from the living room controller) (shared only with a table lamp).  Both worked from both controllers in all other outlets.  So I ran an extension cord from the remaining outlet in the office (shared with the fridge and one table lamp) to the window fan and called it fixed.

Last night I replaced the monitor on my desktop with a new flat screen, and added a set of JBL powered speakers.  Both plugged into the same surge protector.  After the upgrades, the appliance module operating the window fan would not operate from EITHER controller.  I swapped it with my other appliance module and now it works.  I cant get the failed module to work at all now.

So . . . what's going on?  What was my original issue, and did it cause module to fail?  I dont want to keep burning out appliance modules.

I have a strong electrical background, and a strong vintage electronics background.  I'm better with vacuum tubes than ICs.

Thanks!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Basic lighting control setup, module issues
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 06:01:50 PM »

Dear plate, cathode grid;

You may have a noise proble, or coupling problem. Read this as it gives a good description of the many X10 nemisis in the modern home full of switching power supplies.
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm
Also, surge protector strips can attunate or completely block X10 signals. 
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

dspiffy

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 09:08:38 PM »

I already thought about the coupling thing . . . I assumed it wasnt the problem, as most of the stuff is not only on the same phase, it's on the same circuit, and only one module is problematic. 

It seems something in the office is causing noise that's interfering with the module.  I will try unplugging things one at a time and see if the problem goes away.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 09:08:36 PM »

Last night I replaced the monitor on my desktop with a new flat screen, and added a set of JBL powered speakers...
...After the upgrades, the appliance module operating the window fan would not operate from EITHER controller...
So . . . what's going on?

I suspect the new monitor and/or the new speakers might be causing noise, and/or acting as a signal sucker. Try unplugging them and see if things return to the way they were.

dspiffy

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 12:31:07 AM »

I did, and the dead appliance module remained dead.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2012, 06:03:42 AM »

Is it possible to temporarily move the appliance module to a location where another module works? As a test.

You may want to try gently rotating the House and Unit Code Dials around a few times. Incase one of them is dirty and actually on a different address. I have an unused LM465 that changed its Unit Code to 13 {same as not connected} randomly.

dspiffy

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 10:17:30 PM »

The appliance module that no longer works at all, no longer works at all anywhere.  In any outlet.

The swapped appliance module is working fine, plugged into an extension cord going across the room.  I dont want it to die as well.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 05:55:35 AM »

If it is one of the ones you have been using through most of your 15 year X10 journey. It probably just died of old age.

dspiffy

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 01:34:31 PM »

Possibly, it seems a little coincidental that I was having issues with that room, and then the module dies.  Also over the 15 years I didnt use the appliance modules much, mainly the lamp modules.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 01:45:45 PM »

Possibly, it seems a little coincidental that I was having issues with that room, and then the module dies.  Also over the 15 years I didnt use the appliance modules much, mainly the lamp modules.
spiffy
Did you check the link I sent in my September 16, 2012, 02:01:50 PM  comment?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

dspiffy

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 02:12:22 PM »

I did.  I assume it is a noise issue, as most of the modules  and controllers are on the same circuit (and therefore the same phase).  I have not yet tried isolating the source of the noise, except that it does not appear to be the new monitor or speakers.

dspiffy

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 04:24:33 PM »

Best as I can tell, it is the surge protector itself that is creating the noise.

To recap, the last module didnt work at all when plugged into the surge protector or the same outlet as the surge protector.  It worked SOMETIMES when plugged into the outlet adjacent to the surge protector (same circuit) and worked all the time when plugged into any other outlet (regardless of circuit).  Then it failed (coincidentally?) when I swapped monitors.

The current module does not work when plugged into the surge protector, it is currently working when plugged into any other outlet.  I have not had enough time to determine if it is working "sometimes" or all the time when plugged into the adjacent outlet. 

I have several other surge protectors in the house, but this one has the most protection.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 04:52:56 PM »

Best as I can tell, it is the surge protector itself that is creating the noise.

More likely it's snacking on the signal. Noise generation usually requires active components and surge protectors are usually made up of passive components.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 06:13:08 PM »

If the surge suppressor also included noise suppression. It will absorb X10 and other power line automation signals as noise. Basically killing them.
The Noise Suppression in my UPS's AC Input filter. Makes a great X10 signal sucker. X0 friendly filter was needed on my UPS AC Power Input.

dspiffy

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 11:57:48 PM »

Now the second model isnt working on the adjacent outlet either.  I think it's "downstream" from the surge protector.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.