Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: AHP Works Sporadically, But Predictably  (Read 17008 times)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: AHP Works Sporadically, But Predictably
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2012, 11:28:59 AM »

My measurements of repeater couplers. With an XTBM X10 signal meter.
Shows a XPCR having between a 2.5 volt  and 3.6 volt output depending on which phase it was sending on the other phase.
The XTB-IIR was over 9.99 Volts as that is the highest reading it can do.

XTB-IIR also respects my Insteon portion of my setup. As I have a mixed system.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2012, 11:46:36 AM »

Hey, question.  In researching the XPCR (X10) and the XTB-IIR i see there is a huge price difference.  Opinions?  I see the XTB claims compatibility with some high-end controllers (which I dont' have).  What are the other reasons why I'd want to pay so much more?  Thanks.
As Brian has noted. the difference is how strong a signal can be put on the powerlines. When Brian said  " The XTB-IIR was over 9.99 Volts as that is the highest reading it can do" he ment 9.99 V is the highest voltage his meter can measure (I have same X10 signal meter). Actually the XTBMIIR can crank out much more than 9.99 V,  and it is evident in it's performance (I have had three XPCR style repeaters, one ACT CR234, and now the XTBIIR). It is like comparing a match to a flame thrower.  

Until recently the XPCR could be found on ebay for under 20 bucks. So was easy to recommend trying the cheap XPCR and if it helps, then save pennys for the XTBIIR as it will improve signal reliability past 110% . Unfortunately with the XPCR nearing $100 it becomes difficult to recommend as a test.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 11:51:31 AM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2012, 12:25:46 PM »

Yes the signal was >9.99 Volts.
Another example. I have a test outlet that was around 9.95 volts. Last time I used it, it was 2.35 volts. My new LCD TV was a major signal sucker but even at the reduced 2.35 volts. That is plenty of signal for a reliable control of a module.
XPCR may have needed a filter on the TV for the outlets signal to be high enough.
Though I have seen the XPCR in the $60.00 range on one site recently.

Some of the Coupler/Repeaters where known to get into a power line signal firestorm with a CM15A. In some instances.
I don't remember if the XPCR was one of them.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2012, 12:39:48 PM by Brian H »

cawebdude

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2012, 03:50:23 PM »

Thanks.  I'll probably just go with the XTBIIR then.  I have more applications planned outside away from the house like the shed flood lights so I might as well go with the beefier setup.  I'll replace my XPCP with it.  Probably should have done something like that in the first place.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2012, 03:56:17 PM »

Probably should have done something like that in the first place.
Boomer, it's a learning process.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2012, 10:12:54 PM »

It certainly sounds like a power line noise problem that is only apparent when your computer is multi-tasking heavily.

When the computer is being worked hard is the Power Supply or CPU fan running faster than normal and causing just enough additional noise to make a marginal system fail?
That's where I was heading, too.
If it is possible to run the computer (using an extension cord) off a different circuit (preferably on the phase opposite from the TM751 and the modules you are having trouble controlling), you might be able to isolate the noise. You could also try plugging the PC into a filter to isolate the noise.
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.