Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AHP loses connection to CM15a, but PC sees it  (Read 3060 times)

stevecon

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
AHP loses connection to CM15a, but PC sees it
« on: October 27, 2012, 03:11:47 PM »

Recently, my AHP software reports that the interface isn't connected, yet it shows up in Windows XP Pro Device Manager as connected to the USB just fine.  I'm using AHP ver 3.318 and a CM15a controller on the end of a 15 foot active USB extender cable (and has been for years).  I have to close AHP, yank the batteries and unplug the CM15a for a few seconds then try again two or three times before it is seen again. Any ideas?  Thanks!

gfriedman

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: AHP loses connection to CM15a, but PC sees it
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 03:59:11 AM »

I think the problem is with AHP 3.318.  I have similar issue.   I usually leave AHP loaded just minimized so I can connect with ActivePhone.  Now after about being up for a day, I cannot connect thru Activephone nor can I control any modules within AHP.   It seems running but cut-off from communication to everything.   I have to exit then restart it and it runs fine for another day.   I should check next time this happens (prolly tomorrow lol) if it is talking to CM15A.  Anyone else seeing this?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2013, 04:00:58 AM by gfriedman »

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 10:12:53 PM »

I think 3.318 is buggy.  I tried it when it was first available and went back to 3:310 fast as it works fine for me.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 04:48:47 PM »

I had some very bad experiences using active USB extensions a number of years back. All kinds of random electrical noise would cause a hiccup that would momentarily cause the USB connection to reset. Enough of those resets in a short period of time would cause the CM15A to go into an error mode (as confirmed by the developers). Mine would often be triggered by turning on the lights in my den (a room near - but not on the same circuit as - the CM15A and the computer. Sometimes my furnace would cycle on and cause it (again, not on the same circuit or phase as the CM15A and computer). Some people have had really good success using USB extenders, others did not. The nature of the communication between the CM15A and X10Nets service makes them very sensitive to disruptions.
In my case, I tried a number of different extenders, several different CM15A's, and even two other computers. Nothing worked. In the end, I just moved the CM15A close enough to use a "standard" length USB cable, and plugged it into the outlet (on the front of my XTB-IIR) using a long extension cord.

Another thing to check is the power saving settings on your USB ports. Make sure they are not set to allow the computer to turn them off to save power.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.