Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: controlling devices based on temperature  (Read 1728 times)

medic5678

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
controlling devices based on temperature
« on: October 31, 2012, 11:58:09 PM »

what do i need to have the ambient temperature monitored by my system, which is then able to turn an appliance module on/off as needed?  i am running dehumidifiers in places that can get too cold for their operation (freezing up), and i'd like to be able to monitor temps to enable operation only when the temp is above a 45 degrees.  am also looking to automate a greenhouse i'm builidng based on ambient temp. 

as always, any advice appreciated :).

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: controlling devices based on temperature
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2012, 07:46:35 AM »

Any thermostat providing a closure can interface to X10 through the PF284 Powerflash interface. A clousure causes the Powerflash to send an X10 "ON" command and an open causes an X10 "OFF" command. Also, there are posts on using DS10 and DS12 wireless security transmitters to accomplish the same, but you need AHP and a CM15A to receive the transmissions and act on them. Search the forum for DS10 (DS12) and temperature.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
Re: controlling devices based on temperature
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2012, 12:03:43 PM »

A more elaborate controller than the X10 products can actually measure analog values.  I use the Ocelot here to measure temperature at several locations to control auxiliary ventilation and to adjust the irrigation cycles.  With a simple thermistor and some math, I have the Ocleot convert temperature to degrees F with one degree accuracy over the range from 50F to 100F.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.