Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Airsight POE problem  (Read 2624 times)

small3187

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Airsight POE problem
« on: January 14, 2013, 08:12:11 PM »

Just installed the wide-eye outdoor model on my front door via POE. The POE continually loses power and the transformer at my router is hot. Runs fine with a regular power connection. The total run for the POE is probably about 60'. The specs say it can do 100' Had to jiggle the POW connector to get it to come alive. Anyone else have this problem?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Airsight POE problem
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 06:10:40 AM »

The transformer getting hot. Is it the one for the camera and not the one powering the router?

If you had to wiggle the POE adapter to get power to the camera. My thoughts are it maybe defective.

Depending on what gauge wire is in your network cable to the camera. You may have too much voltage drop in the cable to power the camera properly. I know X10 says 100 feet but others have had problems with less. Especially with the ones that use up to two amps of power to run.

Your router. Is it one of the 1 Gigabit type where all eight network wires are used for signals?
The POE Injector Kit will not work with 1 Gigabit Routers as the power is on signal wires not used in lower speed routers.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 06:58:04 AM by Brian H »

small3187

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 02:55:22 PM »

Brian,

Thank you so much for your response. Yes my Router is GIGABIT. That probably has everything to do with this issue. I'll try connecting the cameras to a smaller 100mbit switch.

The transformer for the camera is heating up. Maybe due to the Gigabit issue. I'll try it out and let you know. I am with most of you in other threads, the POE is the way to go once I get the bugs out.

I'll get back to you. Thanks again.
Jim

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 04:52:22 PM »

OK. Let us know how it works out.
I found a typical passive POE wiring diagram and may have more data if needed.
They normally use wire pair 4&5 for + voltage and 7&8 for -voltage. They should be isolated in the injector {router end} and remote voltage splitter {camera end} so the voltage didn't get into the router or cameras network jacks. Where those wire pairs are used in a Gigibit router.

Andytec

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 06:14:40 AM »

I have a Gigabit POE router which I am using just for the network connection at this time - works fine

Questions on this subject  :

(i) can I use the POE facility which this switch has on some ports ( ie no X10 POE cable adapters) with the X10 cameras ?

(i) If I use the X10 POE cable adapters must I use ONLY a Megabit adapter ?

Thanks

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2013, 09:27:57 AM »

(i) can I use the POE facility which this switch has on some ports ( ie no X10 POE cable adapters) with the X10 cameras ?

The easy answer is NO, you may be drawing too much power from the router.
The more difficult answer is, since provided no details: you need to check the camera specs and find out how much power the camera draws, then check the switch specs and find out how much power it can deliver per port. The cameras tend to be power hungry, especially at night.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2013, 12:46:33 PM »

The POE in your router is most likely an active type. Where there is between 37 and 47 volts on the output and an internal regulator in the device being powered. The X10 cameras don't have an internal regulator or the internal network connection to use the power the router is inserting on the network cable.

That is why the X10 passive POE separates the two pairs of network cables wires and uses the original power supply on the router end and a adapter to get the voltage on a small coaxial plug that mates with the camera.
So no you can't use the routers power for the cameras.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 01:01:31 PM by Brian H »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.