Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What kind of lamp module do i need ?  (Read 1323 times)


  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Helpful Post Rating: 0
  • Posts: 11
What kind of lamp module do i need ?
« on: January 20, 2013, 06:27:01 PM »

I've read horror stories about lamp modules caughting on fire because it was used with the wrong type of light bulbs... looks like they are designed only for incadescent bulbs...

So here's my situation

#1 :
I have two LED light strips hooked under my bed. one of 5meters and another one of 2 meters

Here's the LED strips specs:
Input Voltage: 12VDc
Input Current:  1.2A max / meters.

i'm using it with a 12V/2A power supply

#2 :
I have this light in the living room:

Bulb: 3 x MR16 / 12V / 50W (max.)

#3 :
Floor Lamp with Halogen bulb
100w T3 Mini Can 120v

What type of lamp module do i need for those lights ? I need one with a dimmer.

Thanks a lot !!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 06:48:09 PM by anarchoi »

Brian H

  • Community Organizer
  • Hero Member
  • ***
  • Helpful Post Rating: 301
  • Posts: 13080
Re: What kind of lamp module do i need ?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 07:14:08 PM »

For #1 Check the power supply specifications and see if they are designed to be used with a dimmer.
If they are not made for a dimmer. Both the power supply and lamp module can be damaged.
If the LED strips use 1.2 amps per meter. You have a five meter strip? That is 6 amps. The two meter strip would be 2.4 amps.
If the supply is 12 volts 2 amps. You are overloading it.

#2 You don't have a power supply for them yet and are wondering if we have any suggestions?
If you do have a power supply for them. Again verify it is designed to be used on a dimmer type switch or lamp module.

#3 is a 120 volt 100 watt load and the LM465 lamp module should work with it.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2013, 07:54:06 PM by Brian H »
Logged | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 All rights reserved.