Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

If I block the use of the dimmer buttons on the palm remote, can I use the system to turn a 65 watt fluorescent yard light on and off?

yes
- 0 (0%)
no
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Use of X10 lamp controlers  (Read 2073 times)

kc6oxn1939@att.net

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Use of X10 lamp controlers
« on: February 26, 2013, 10:14:36 PM »

If I block the use of the dimmer buttons on the palm remote, can I use the system to turn a 65 watt fluorescent yard light on and off?

Thank you   John

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Use of X10 lamp controlers
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 10:25:02 PM »

Palm Pad is only the remote control. What module are you using to control the fluorescent fixture?  Appliance module? Lamp module? Wall switch?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 05:59:46 AM »

If you are using a dimming type switch or plug in module NO.
Even at 100% On the AC output is slightly modified and will not react well with any device that can't be dimmed.
All recent X10 wall switches and lamp modules have soft start. Where the power is ramped On and Off. So for a few seconds the load is not running at 100% or 0%. Again CFLs do not like that. Even dimmable CFLs {Yes you can find them} don't always play nice with X10 modules.
If you are using a WS12A or WS467 two wire wall switch. They steal power through the load and only work with incandescent type bulbs.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 06:01:21 AM by Brian H »

kc6oxn1939@att.net

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 07:25:58 AM »

I am new to this forum stuff and I am having a problem navigating this web site.  I can't seem to be able to reply to the person who asked me what module I am using to turn a 65 watt fluorescent yard light on and off.  I am using the palm pad remote with the dimmer bottons boxed over so they can't be operated accidentally.  The person who replied to me asked me what module I am using to receive the signal to operate the light and it is the  X10 lamp module model (LM465)

I only want to turn the light on and off.  I realize that fluorescent lamps can not be dimmed!  However, I have tested it and it seems to work fine but I don't want to cause problems which may be dangerous and cause a fire.  I am not using the system regularly yet because of the possible problems I have mentioned above.  I am hoping that as long as the dimmer buttons can't be operated it might work safely. 

Thank you  John

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 07:32:12 AM »

Replace the lamp module with an appliance module. It's On/Off only and there's no need to block the Dim/bright buttons on the remote.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 08:11:12 AM »

It is not safe to run a fluorescent light with a LM465 Lamp Module. Even at 100% On.
The circuitry in the LM465 can react poorly with a fluorescent type load.
If the LM465 is new enough to be soft start. Where it ramps On and Off over a few seconds. The light is also being subjected to a modified AC wave during the ramp time.
An appliance module as mentioned is a better choice.
On the back of the LM465 it should specify incandescent type loads only.

-:) Just had one added thought. If the lamp in question is a Dimmable Type CFL. Then the LM465 may work OK.
I have tried a few Dimmable CFLs with LM465s with varied results. Depending on the model CFL and if the LM465 was a soft start or older style.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 08:25:54 AM by Brian H »

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 08:37:32 AM »

John
You are getting good advice.
Brian H and dhouston get out of bed before me.  rofl
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.