Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CM-11A Wakes Up PC?  (Read 4882 times)

Madness

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
CM-11A Wakes Up PC?
« on: March 11, 2013, 03:58:43 AM »

Here's a bizarre one: I just upgraded my PC (new motherboard), which is running W7-HP x64. Since it has an onboard serial port, I reused my old IBM-branded CM-11A. Still works fine w/ AHP, but I'm experiencing a weird issue when the PC is hibernating. If I transmit w/ any of my X10 RF remotes (KR22A, etc.), it wakes up my PC! This happens whenever the system goes down w/ the CM-11A connected (& the problem can be reproduced). If I disconnect the serial cable (either before or after shutdown), it won't happen. Also, this never happened w/ my old mobo, nor any prior. Any ideas?

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
Re: CM-11A Wakes Up PC?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 05:13:20 AM »

From the CM11A protocol documentation http://software.x10.com/pub/manuals/cm11a_protocol.txt
4.   X-10 Reception.

Whenever the interface begins to receive data from the power-line, it will immediately assert the serial ring (RI) signal to initiate the wake-up procedure for the PC. Once the data reception is complete, the interface will begin to poll the PC to upload its data buffer (maximum 10 bytes). If the PC does not respond, then the interface's data buffer will overrun, and additional data will not be stored within the buffer.

Usually, this was much harder to initiate than it was to stop.

In your motherboard BIOS setup, there should be a wake on ring enable/disable setting. Otherwise, you can cut the RI line either in the CM11A or on the motherboard.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 06:16:08 AM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 06:18:41 AM »

The Ring Indicate is used in the CM11A protocol.
If it is cut. Isn't going to mess things up?
http://software.x10.com/pub/manuals/cm11a_protocol.txt

Turning off. Wake on RI does sound like it is enabled on your new motherboard. As dhouston pointed out.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 06:24:36 AM »

If it is cut. Isn't going to mess things up?

It wasn't available on many motherboards, add-on serial boards nor with many USB/Serial adapters. Disabling it will merely mean you can neither log events nor trigger macros (except those stored within the CM11A) while the PC sleeps. Since the OP was surprised by it, it's unlikely he will miss it. It's probably best to disable it within the CM11A if there's no BIOS setting although I've not looked at just where to cut a trace or wire.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 06:31:35 AM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.

Madness

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2013, 08:08:28 AM »

I double-checked the BIOS & "power on by ring" is disabled (Asus M5A97 R2.0). So, I'd assume that the CM-11A is receiving a power line signal from my RR501, & waking up the PC, anyhow? But I noticed, after reading that protocol text, that it mentions sending a signal to the CM-11A to disable the ring (section 6). How would I do that (if possible)? Actual hardware modding is a bit beyond my capability.

Just an update: This issue occurs in sleep mode & when the system powers down the display when idle (in the latter case, transmitting acts like I hit a key or moved the mouse). Any chance of a bug in the BIOS (even though I upgraded to the latest version)?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 09:12:57 AM by Madness »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2013, 08:24:09 AM »

Are you using the X10 Active Home software or later version of Active Home Pro software that added support for the CM11A?
I am not a software type. So I can't say if AH or AHP need to see the RI toggle to work correctly.

Madness

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2013, 09:14:20 AM »

AHP 3.318

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2013, 09:20:52 AM »

I double-checked the BIOS & "power on by ring" is disabled (Asus M5A97 R2.0). So, I'd assume that the CM-11A is receiving a power line signal from my RR501, & waking up the PC, anyhow? But I noticed, after reading that protocol text, that it mentions sending a signal to the CM-11A to disable the ring (section 6). How would I do that (if possible)? Actual hardware modding is a bit beyond my capability.
It appears you have a problem with your motherboard. If it were truly disabled, this would not be happening. I suggest checking with Asus Support.

I have never used X10's (abominable) software so do not know if they provide a way to send the disable codes. (I don't recall that section being in the original protocol documentation.) If not, there used to be a commandline application for the CM11A. It might allow you to send the codes. But, it's been about 15 years since I used it so I cannot offer any guidance.

You might also be able to send the codes using HyperTerminal (or any terminal application). You would need to connect to the CM11A. If the terminal app cannot send hexcodes, send Alt+235, wait for 235 from the CM11A, send Alt+0 and wait for 85 from the CM11A.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 09:26:23 AM by dhouston »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 10:39:45 AM »

I have never had good luck with AHP 3.318 and a CM11A.
I did test my CM11A with AH 1.42 and a serial breakout box.
The RI signal can be removed and while in AH it still received the information from the power lines and the data was acknowledged.
Wit AH not running and the RI removed. RI pulsed on the first received message but since AH didn't acknowledge the data. It didn't pulse again.

I may reconnect the serial equipment and see if I can coax AHP 3.318 to run for some tests.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 11:39:49 AM »

Got AHP 3.318 to play nice with my CM11A.
It also seems to be fine with no RI signal from the CM11A.

I also found your Motherboards Manual on the ASUS site.
Will give it a look.

Madness

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2013, 04:23:42 PM »

My unit works just fine for controlling my modules (as it did on three previous Asus boards). Just the WOR problem. I contacted Asus support & explained the problem to them. They sent me a fill-out "Test Report" document, which once returned, will be forwarded to their engineering department. See if there isn't any bugs/issues w/ the BIOS.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2013, 04:46:28 PM »

@Brian H,

If you have some time, try disabling RI using HyperTerminal (or equivalent) using the instructions in Section 6 of the protocol documentation.

@Madness,

Are you sure you saved the BIOS change and rebooted? As best I recall from an older Asus motherboard, now retired, it was a bit tricky to actually save changes.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2013, 09:12:33 AM »

Had a chance to try the RI Disable Commands.
Used Docklight Scripting Evaluation version. That has very limited functions. Like making a new Project.
Found the .ptp file can be edited by a plain text editor if you know what you are changing. I modified one of the Insteon PLM scripts Smartlabs gave us.
The RI Disable/Enable Commands do work and both Active Home and Active Home Pro. Don't have to see the RI to receive power line commands.
I did not try complicated macros or timers. So there still could be some quirks with no RI.
At a fresh power up. The CM11A will do nothing until the time is set. Both AH and AHP did set the needed time and then
Docklight could change the RI to disabled.
AHP after being run. Reserves the COM port and Docklight did not have access to the COM Port. The older AH didn't have that problem.
Had to log off and back on to again use Docklight.
I tried turning RI off and then a complete power down with no batteries.
As the technical notes indicated. It did default back to RI Enabled.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2013, 12:11:20 PM »

Thanks, Brian. It's always good to add to the knowledge base. I'm reasonably certain that RI did not work onmy CM11A and that early copies of the protocol did not have the section on enabling/disabling it. I recall a discussion with Dan Lanciani (who, IIRC, beta tested the CM11A) about RI when I was testing things and there was no discussion of the enable/disable feature. I ran my CM11A connected to an embedded device of my own design (BX24-AHT) that ran 24/7 so there was no need for it.

Of course, since it defaults to enable with no apparent way to disable within AH/AHP, it's likely to be a PITA.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.