Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Airsight outdoor wireless  (Read 2601 times)

Maltby

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Airsight outdoor wireless
« on: March 20, 2013, 12:49:15 AM »

Here is my take on these cameras...very good lens, good picture quality, good color, good night vision.  Wired, they work beautifully.  Wireless operations are obviously quite challenging at times as evidenced by the many issues talked about on this forum.  I think set up is easy once you "get it".  But the manual sucks IMHO and you are best advised to get your instructions from YouTube or other source.  And, accessing from the internet is far from easy as the advertising implies.  Wireless operation seems full of glitches and since that is how I must set mine up, it is B:(
I'm way invested in this so I'm not giving up but there have been many times, after many frustrating hours where I have almost thrown in the towel.  The fact that tech help through x10 is only during work hours for most people, that is another frustration.
So, what say you?

JG1967

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: Airsight outdoor wireless
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 08:08:04 AM »

I was going to go wireless too but decided to do some thing different. I'm using Powerline Adaptors to give me network access wherever I have a power outlet. I then used 50 ft of CAT5 cable and the POE kit to power and connect the cameras. The CAT5 cable I got is flat and very easy to hide. I ran the cable inside the house and then connected them (I have two cameras) to the Powerline Adaptors, both the adapters and the camera power packs are plugged into a surge protector.

It works beautifully. Makes hooking up the cameras so much easier. The connection is good with no perceptible loss of speed, the video is very clear.

Maltby

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 11:35:06 AM »

Sounds good for your application. My cameras are outdoors and I don't think the power line adapters are waterproof, or are they?

JG1967

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 01:27:07 PM »

I ran the CAT5 cable inside my house so the Powerline Adaptors are inside not outside. I wouldn't try using them outdoors as they are not weather proof. The CAT5 cable I got is flat so it was very easy to hide, I ran the cable inside the house using the same entry point as our cable TV. Look around your house and see if you have any potential entry points and then where are they in relation to your camera's.

richy2

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 06:21:32 PM »

Sounds good for your application. My cameras are outdoors and I don't think the power line adapters are waterproof, or are they?
when it comes to water and electricity... i'll never stick my tongue on a 9volt battery again.

I have no over hang to hide my cables that could get wet, so if u see the pic, i purchased these green weather proof thing-a-ma-jiggs to protect the POE side that plugs into the network cable on the camera ( the white cable is the POE ) and the other for the power.

Had to split then up since the network cable from the camera to POE takes up the whole space. The Power side protects the other cables.
The last one is where the CAT5 plugs into the PoE/power connection that runs into the window and connects to the router and power into the power adaptor wall socket.

JG1967

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 07:50:02 PM »

Pretty cool, mine are wrapped in electrical tape.

Maltby

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 11:45:00 PM »

Nice!

rich1p

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2013, 11:24:19 AM »

**** NOTE ******   Will not connect wirelessly while MAC filtering is on.
After many hours (2 separate days x 3 hours each) of attempting to connect my xx42a (marked xx36sa on the camera) wirelessly,  I finally decided to call X10 help support. Yes, their hours of support are very inconvenient since they are only open till 6 PM EST.  Spent 2 hours with tech support going through the setup process in many different ways.  We finally figured out that my issue was that I use MAC Filtering (for added security).  I disabled MAC filtering on one of my routers and the camera connected wirelessly without a problem.  I let them know that I am not about to make my network less secure just to get their camera to work. So Tech support was going to see if their upper tier techs had some firmware mod that would allow it to connect to a MAC filtered network.  Before we hung up I thought of an idea to disable MAC filtering, connect the camera wirelessly, then enable MAC filtering again. This worked for me since one of my routers do not require a reboot to enable or disable MAC filtering.
Lesson learned is these cameras will not connect wirelessly while MAC filtering is enabled, and they don’t disclose this in any of their documentation.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.