Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X10 Modules not responding  (Read 6177 times)

nvrpc

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X10 Modules not responding
« on: April 03, 2013, 10:34:31 PM »

Okay, I stumped. I have the X10 Home Automation software and controller programmed, setting up each ( lamp and appliance ) module with a different letter and number code so none of the seven are the same,  and even have a phase coupler plugged into my 220 dryer outlet.  The problem doesn't seem to be the modules themselves since I have moved then around to different 115 outlet around the house and in different rooms and they seem to work and in others they do not.  My question is this. If the contractor who wired the plugs put the white wire where the black wire was to go and visa-versa, would this make certain outlets work and other outlets not to work.  Is there a problem the way I have them programmed.

gfriedman

Re: X10 Modules not responding
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2013, 02:19:10 AM »

No, having the power and neutral wires reversed wont effect the x10 module.  Though if this is new work it is not to code especially if the outlets are polarized (one slot longer than the other).  They sell a cheap outlet checker at HD or Lowes that will easily tell you if the outlet is wired and grounded properly.  Here's one on AZ that's under $5.   http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002Q3R7HI/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1365055802&sr=8-6&pi=SL75

Not sure what you mean by "I have them programmed".   Are you referring to macros?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2013, 06:00:04 AM »

What model X10 controller and software?

Sounds like you have a power line signal problem.
Many modern electronic devices can make power line noise or absorb X10 power line signals. Many refer to them as Signal Suckers.
A passive dryer coupler may not be the best solution. It only couples the signal and noise that reaches the dryers outlet. If the controller sends five volt and it is one volt when it gets to the dryer outlet. Only that one volt is sent back on the other power line. Repeater coupler maybe better.
You need to do some troubleshooting. Like unplugging things and observing changes.
Common things. The controller in the same outlet as the computer equipment or on a filtered surge strip. On an UPS.
http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm
http://www.act-remote.com/PCC/uncle.htm
http://www.davehouston.net/
« Last Edit: April 04, 2013, 06:04:34 AM by Brian H »

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2013, 01:02:48 PM »

... setting up each ( lamp and appliance ) module with a different letter and number code so none of the seven are the same ...

1. Since you only have 7 modules, I would suggest you start with the SAME letter (House Code) for all of them, and assign each one a different number (Unit Code).
2. You said that some places work, and others do not. Starting with a location that works, test each of the modules in that location, to establish that each module is working, and you can control it. Then, you can start moving them to other locations, and determine which locations are not working (using a "known good" module). Keep the controller in the same place during testing, so you don't introduce two changes at the same time.

Line noise (or a signal sucker) would be my first guess, and the dryer coupler might not be enough to correct the problem.
The links that Brian sent are a great place to start.

babybearjs

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 01:06:30 AM »

I have a decora style wall module that won't resond to the AHP Comp. interface yet it works fine when manaully activated or the tabletop keypad is used. everthing was working fine prior to the software update... now a lamp module, the dinette light and other units won't resond to the timer settings. my AHP Computer interface is over 5 years old, could these units start to fail with age?  it likes to turn thing OFF OK, its getting it to turn things ON that I'm having problems with.... what do you suggest I check??    John

gfriedman

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 01:20:58 AM »

If you just upgraded AHP you might be running into the soft start module issue.   In AHP there is a new category called old lamp modules.  These are for older nonsoftstart hardware.  You would need to replace your modules in AHP from the old lamps category.

Brian H

• Community Organizer

nvrpc

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 01:30:01 PM »

If you just upgraded AHP you might be running into the soft start module issue.   In AHP there is a new category called old lamp modules.  These are for older nonsoftstart hardware.  You would need to replace your modules in AHP from the old lamps category.

This may explain why all my apppliance modules work just find but if I plug a lamp module into the very same 115 AC outlet it will not switch on or off a lamp module  The both are LM465 Remote switch LR69519  One is new and the other one is old  The old one has a sticker on it of 8A03 and the new one has a stick on it of 13808 

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 01:39:18 PM »

Well 08A03 is still new enough to be a Soft Start Module. Soft Start was introduced sometime in 2007.
I have a 08A01 and it is Soft Start.
Easy way to test. Turn the module On. If it slowly ramps On and Off in maybe two or three seconds. It is Soft Start. If it instantly goes On and Off with no ramping. It is the Old before Soft Start type.

nvrpc

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 01:49:56 PM »

I tried both LM465's in the very same plug the Appliance module do in fact work in and neither the new module or old module set up on C1 or any other letter / number combo work.  Is there anything in the transcieve I have to configure to get it to make a LAMP Module respond.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2013, 02:18:40 PM »

Are you using AHP with the CM15A or the CM15K {CM19A with TM751 Tranceiver}?
The CM15A can do all 256 X10 Addresses of sixteen House Codes and sixteen Unit Codes in each House Code.
The TM751 transceiver in the CM15K kit can only do One House Code and the sixteen Unit Codes in that one House Code.
So if you have the TM751 then the House Code Dial on it has to match the House Code Dial on all the modules you want to control.

Try a test. Set one of the lamp modules to one of the appliance modules address and turn it On and Off as an appliance module.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2013, 05:45:57 PM »

I tried both LM465's in the very same plug the Appliance module do in fact work in and neither the new module or old module set up on C1 or any other letter / number combo work.  Is there anything in the transcieve I have to configure to get it to make a LAMP Module respond.

Plug a lamp into the module, and then turn the switch ON THE LAMP from "On" to "Off" and then back to "On" again. That should trigger the "Local Control" and turn the module on.
My bet is it will jump right to full brightness (instead of slowly ramping up to full brightness). That means it is NON SoftStart. You'll need to define it that way in AHP for it to work.

While you have it on, try turning it OFF using AHP.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.