Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bypass DS12A reed switch?  (Read 4115 times)

woodyl

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Bypass DS12A reed switch?
« on: April 20, 2013, 09:34:36 AM »

I have an application where I want to use 2 different external switches with a single DS12A sensor.  Looking inside the DS12A, it looks like I could solder leads to the existing internal reed switch and then connect those leads to an external magnetic switch and then have 2 external switches.  Has anybody done this?  The difficulty I see is that the top end of the reed switch is very close to a capacitor and would be hard to get at for soldering a lead.

If anybody has done this before, please give me details about how and where you soldered the leads.  Also, is there a good way to remove the circuit board without breaking it?  I want to look at the other side but it seems to be glued in or something.  Any advice appreciatated!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Bypass DS12A reed switch?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 09:52:00 AM »

The DS12A has two separate zones. The internal magnetic switch and a terminal block for the second zone.

Look at the bottom edge of the DS12A.
See the terminal block with the thin wire jumper on it?
That is a terminal block for the DS12As second zone input.
So you can wire your switches to the second zone and it registers separately from the internal zone 1 magnetic switch.

To take the PCB out. Unscrew the small screw in the center of the battery holder. It should then pop right out. Unless X10 has changed things and is now using glue.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 09:58:44 AM by Brian H »

woodyl

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 10:09:17 AM »

The DS12A has two separate zones. The internal magnetic switch and a terminal block for the second zone.

Look at the bottom edge of the DS12A.
See the terminal block with the thin wire jumper on it?
That is a terminal block for the DS12As second zone input.
So you can wire your switches to the second zone and it registers separately from the internal zone 1 magnetic switch.

To take the PCB out. Unscrew the small screw in the center of the battery holder. It should then pop right out. Unless X10 has changed things and is now using glue.

Yes, I know about the second zone, but I want to be able to use both zones and have them send separate messages.  That's why I want to replace the internal reed switch with an external magnetic switch.

As far as removing the circuit board, I removed the screw behind the battery holder, but it seems as though something else is holding the circuit board in.  I'll try prying it loose with more force and see if I can do it without breaking it.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 10:11:57 AM »

Photos and schematics in the FCC Database. In the details tab.
http://transition.fcc.gov/oet/ea/fccid/

Grantee B4S
Product code -DS11A

Well they may now be using some glue. Mine just pop right out with the screw removed. Or their contracted factory maybe doing things differently than when they had their own factory.

You may have noticed the DS12A has an FCC ID of DS11A. That is the Radio Shack one and all they did was modify the case slightly for a snap on cover and not a screwed on one. Along with a Logo and Model number change.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 10:17:26 AM by Brian H »

woodyl

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 12:25:54 PM »

Thanks, the pictures are very helpful.  Looks like the best bet is to solder leads on the underside of the circuit board where the reed switch is soldered.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 02:16:15 PM »

That sounds a good place to connect your switches.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.