Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Sometimes it works, sometimes not  (Read 4312 times)

EdMc

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Sometimes it works, sometimes not
« on: May 12, 2013, 09:19:53 PM »

I've been using some X10 modules for over ten years with a CM11A and AH v 1.142 on Windows XP.  It just stopped working.  So I got AHPro v 3.318 running on Windows 7, and using a CM15A.  I set everything up, all the modules work, and a timer test worked fine.  I set the timers for overnight operation, and nothing comes on.  I then check each module, and even use All Lights On, and absolutely nothing happens.  The activity log shows the commands transmitted, but have not shown timer execution (Macros).  It works in daytime, not at night.
Any ideas?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Sometimes it works, sometimes not
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 06:21:14 AM »

If you have been using X10 for ten years.
Are the modules also that old and are not Soft Start? Where they ramp On and Off.
They have to be added to AHP from the Old Lamp (Before Soft Start) list or they do not work correctly.

Since during the day they seem to be OK and not at night. You very well could have a power line signal problem and the cause of the problem maybe running at night. Try selectively unplugging devices you are running at night and see if you can find a few problem devices.
Do you have any phase coupling between the homes phases and if you do what is it?

http://jvde.us/x10_troubleshooting.htm
http://www.act-remote.com/PCC/uncle.htm
http://www.davehouston.net/

EdMc

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 09:35:46 PM »

My modules are all old (not soft start).  I've used the Old Lamp controllers.  I had a phase coupler all the time.  Smart Home Signal Line Model 4816A2.  Like I said, things have been working for ten years and just last week - poof!

Only one other outdoor light is on a timer, and I tried operating all my modules when it was on and off - no problem during the day.  Ran another experiment today - set timers to turn two modules on during daylight and off after dark.  Lights went on but not off.  I didn't touch the CM15A in the interim.

Now that is is night, I cannot make ANY module work, but can operate them at their switch.  I can't think of anything we do differently at night, and we didn't do anything this evening.

How can interference (if that's the cause) knock out the X10s?  Can it be my neighbors?  Can it be our utility provider?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 06:31:23 AM »

Have you had a chance to read some of the troubleshooting tutorials?
They explain exactly how power line noise and signal suckers can be a problem with X10.
You may not have changed or moved anything electronic but a device may have started to fail due to age.
Unplugging devices and seeing if things change may help.

If the neighbor shares the same power transformer. In theory they could be causing noise on your system. In real life. It is very hard for power line signals to go from one home to another through the power transformer.

You didn't recently get a nice new smart meter from the power company did you?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 09:44:35 AM »

It works during the day, but not at night.
Are your bulbs incandescent or CFL's? CFLs can be big noise makers. They can also get noisy with age. One point to consider: the CM11 had a higher output PLC signal compared to the CM15A. One noisy CFL on the same circuit as the CM15A could stop everything. If you have a TM751 or RR501 transceiver, try moving it around the house to help isolate a noise source. Also since you switched to the CM15A and 3.318 AHP, make sure you have configured your lights as old modules. Double check for a smart meter.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

EdMc

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2013, 10:30:38 AM »

Ran another experiment last night.  Set lights to come on at 3, 4, 5 and 6 AM.  Only the 6AM light worked.  Dawn was about 5:45.  We changed nothing in our house all night, so I don't see how it could be a CFL.  We don't have a new smart meter, either.
How could it not be interference from outside my house?
BTW, now that it's daytime, everything works.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2013, 11:06:59 AM »

Power line signals have a hard time going all the way from a home. Through the power transformer at the street and back into another home on the same transformer.

I am not saying it can't happen. Noam had a neighbors deteriorating CFL light bulb. Start interfering with his system.
To find an outside interference source. You may need an X10 test meter to see them.

Does the AHP Activity Monitor show any strange or unknown commands or modules?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2013, 11:21:43 AM »

BTW, now that it's daytime, everything works.
Start out by assuming the problem is at your end. What is on at night but not during the day? Nightlights? Cell phone chargers? Dusk to dawn lights? etc. If it IS from a neighbor (unless you are in a condo or apartment, chances are slim IMHO) it will be a neighbor on the same utility transformer as you.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 11:28:22 AM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

EdMc

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 06:25:20 PM »

Thanks, guys, but I've only one CFL that's on a dusk to dawn timer and I've tried my X10s with that both on and off and it's not the problem.  I sat at my computer and flogged one of my X10 lights which worked up to 20 minutes before dusk at which time everything stopped working.  Had not changed anything in the house, and have no other timed anythings.  It can't be my house.  >*<

Do you thin an X10 amplifier (like the flame thrower I've read about) would be the best solution?

The Activity log shows the CM15A thinks it's doing a fine job.

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 10:33:07 PM »

... Noam had a neighbors deteriorating CFL light bulb. Start interfering with his system.

True story!
Find out which other homes share a transformer (my street has above-ground wiring, so it wasn't too hard to figure that one out).
Since you know that the problem went away the other day between 5 and 6 am, and dawn was at 5:45, you can probably start testing every minute or so around then, and go outside to see if any neighbors have outdoor lights that turn off around that time.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.