Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Switch bypass?  (Read 2832 times)

Strahan

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Switch bypass?
« on: June 05, 2013, 01:57:17 AM »

Hi.  I have a wireless receiver that my living room light is plugged into.  I took the remote and since I do not have a garage, I programmed my BMW's built in garage door opener so that button 1 turns the LR light on and button 2 turns it off.  I have a third button and I thought it would be cool to have that turn the porch light on.  Problem is, I'd rather not remove the wall switch in favor of a hardwired X10 module.  What I really need is like an X10 "bridge"..  something I can wire between the two terminals on the switch then when it receives the X10 signal to turn on it can bridge the current and bypass the switch.

Do they make anything like that?

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: Switch bypass?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2013, 09:19:08 AM »

Do they make anything like that?
If you mean something that wires in the wall box behind the switch,
No.
Check Brian H comment below.

Also, Smarthome has may still have X10 compatible switches that have a standard toggle switch look if the X10 push button is the problem. Some require a neutral line in the wall box in addition to the hot line and load line.
http://www.smarthome.com/_/Dimmers_Wall_Switches_Keypads_Touchscreens/X10_Compatible/_/1QV/23X/nav.aspx

« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 01:02:48 PM by dave w »
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2013, 10:41:26 AM »

I'm sure it's not per code, but when I moved into my house, there were2 switches installed for the front porch lights (one at the front door, one in the basement by the distribution panel).  The one by the door was a standard switch that operated as any other would.  The one in the basement was an electronic dusk to dawn type timer.  I think the wiring is installed similar to a 3-way, but it wasn't wired that way.  If you turned the front door switch on, the lights would come on.  If the dusk to dawn timer was activated, the lights would come on.  But, if one was on and you wanted the lights off, you could not switch it off from the other location.

This setup is basically what you are suggesting.  The thing is, it's probably not legal since there are multiple ways to energize the down switch side of the circuit and without knowledge of the wiring, you could get seriously hurt if you were changing fixtures for instance.  Of course, you are supposed to kill the breaker anyway...

I decided to rewire and add X10 (since there was already some installed anyway).  I installed a Smarthome X10 toggle switch at the front door and disconnected it from the load.  I replaced the one in the basement with a WS13A.  In retrospect, I could have just disconnected the one in the basement and just used the Smarthome switch for the same effect.

Either way, this setup can be accomplished, but in my opinion, it's not a very good idea even if it were legal.  Also, it may be bad for your X10/Smarthome/etc switches if you did this since there would be power applied to the load side which the switch may not be able to handle.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2013, 11:26:57 AM »

Smarthome now has a relay type Micro Module. Designed to be installed behind a normal switch.
http://www.smarthome.com/2443-222/INSTEON-Micro-On-Off-Module/p.aspx

Few points. Needs a Neutral Power Connection, probably not designed to be in parallel with the original switches connections and if externally triggered I believe the trigger is momentary not a On Off toggle.

The X10 modules {Insteon with the IDs removed and relabeled} are long gone.
Still can get a ToggleLinc Relay {in dave w's link} and add an X10 primary address to it. Again Neutral connection needed.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 11:28:40 AM by Brian H »

Strahan

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 11:32:32 AM »

Thanks for the input.  I also found that there is a replacement wall switch by X10, I think I may try that route first.  If that doesn't come to fruition, I'll give those ideas a whirl.

Thanks again!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 11:41:12 AM »

Yes the WS467 is the toggle and WS12A is the decorator style.
Just one thing. The loads have to be incandescent as the switches get their power through the bulbs.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 06:44:37 PM »

I have several WS467 installed as well as some 3-way variants in the past.  I have a ToggleLinc installed by the front door (as mentioned earlier).  As far as function, they both work fine for incandescent.  I personally prefer the look and style of operation of the ToggleLinc much better and I find that the WAF (wife appreciation factor) is higher with it as well.  On the negative side, the ToggleLinc is significantly higher in price.  Every other aspect of that switch is far better though.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.