Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Chime Module problems  (Read 1729 times)

woodyl

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Chime Module problems
« on: July 12, 2013, 06:26:30 PM »

I have an SC546 Chime Module that I've had installed for 6 months or so.  I'm using it with a home alarm system that I've cooked up myself.  I rarely use it, but today I was testing some code changes and discovered that it no longer responds to commands.  It will sound when I plug it in, but not when I send a command.

I tried it on different housecodes, with signals sent by RF and wireline, and it seems to be completely dead.

It's a cheap item and I would like to replace it, but I don't want to keep buying them if they all have such a short life.  I notice that there's an X10 Pro branded version with model number PHH02.  It looks identical, and I assume that there's no difference between the 2 units.

Does anybody else have experience with these modules?  What kind of failure rate do you see with these?  Is there any advantage to the Pro version?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Chime Module problems
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 06:44:58 PM »

I have two of the Retail {blister packed} RSC15 Chime Modules that are also the same as the SC546.
Both have been in use for many years. I can't remember how many years in use but both are 2002 Date Coded units.
Activeted at wake up time from a command from my ISY994i controller and anytime the door bell is rung by an ELK-930 door bell detector and PF284 Powerflash module. Until I removed the TR16A Touchtone Responder they also sounded when the phone rang.

The X10Pro modules had a two year {not sure present period} warranty and rumored to be tested more thoroughly.

Have you tried a few different locations in your home. To see if anything has changed in your installation. Like a new power line noise maker or signal sucker?
Rotating the House Code and Unit Code Wheels a few time to clear out a possible dirty contact in the dial switches.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 06:51:56 PM by Brian H »

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 07:13:55 PM »

Also have any of your electric/gas meters been replaced in last couple of months?  New electric meters are known for causing X10 problems.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

woodyl

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 12:26:16 PM »

I've tried plugging the module in various places around the house, including the same circuit with the CM15A and still no go.  No new meters and all of my other x10 devices are working as normal.  Just looks like this one has died.  Good to know that other people have had them working for a long time.  I'll buy a couple more and see if I have better luck.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.