Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: X-10 IR Extender  (Read 27373 times)

DBIE

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
X-10 IR Extender
« on: July 12, 2013, 07:29:50 PM »

I just purchased an IR Extender and am not sure why it operated only erratically. 

Some observations..

1. I need more that Line of sight from my remote.  Are there restrictions on the angle that the incoming signal must come from?
2. There also appears to be a distance restriction.  I am Using a new harmony 650.  What distance can I expect?
3. The receivers IR output seems very weak. Can it be increased? It barely works when located right in front of the device or with use of a dedicated emitter.

Am I hitting the technical limitations of the equipment??

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: X-10 IR Extender
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 08:50:07 PM »

From my own experience
1. Remote needs to point directly at PowerMid top and within about 15 feet.
2. Explain better. Distance from remote control to PowerMid transmitter?  Or distance from PowerMid transmitter to PowerMid receiver? My best from remote to PowerMID transmitter was around 15 feet. This is really dependant on output level of the remote. How far from the TV can you get your Harmony?
3. No. IR output is fixed.
My PowerMid receiver transmitted fine to TV about 12 feet away, in line with TV IR receiver window. The IR Extender (RX569) is ment to be positioned very near (i.e. in front of) the appliances IR receiver window.

Maybe.

What sort of lighting do you have in the rooms, incandescent or flourescent/LED?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2013, 06:20:51 AM »

You are using the Powermid?
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Remote_Sender_%28PowerMID%29

When you tried a dedicated emitter. Was it the X10 RX569 emitter or another brand?

DBIE

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2013, 10:21:11 AM »

Thank you for your replies.

I do have some CFLs in the area, but they don't appear to be having any effect.

I did try using a separate IR emitter which did make an improvement.

The extender is located below my TV set about 5.5 feet above the floor.  This angle from where I am sitting appears to be blocked.  only if I hold the remote up in the air will it work.

The two units also don't appear to be reliably communicating with each other.  I can get a "red light" in the input unit with no similar light appearing in the output unit.

Right now this is not a very reliable or user friendly installation.

Any additional suggestions?

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.