Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 34

Author Topic: New x10 Wi-Fi unit  (Read 165544 times)

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
Re: New x10 Wi-Fi unit
« Reply #330 on: January 17, 2017, 08:52:30 PM »

it is very highly unlikely :( we'll see anything till after the Chinese New Year.

But, which year?
rofl
 B:(

It will be much sooner than next year, it will be any day now.

solareclipse

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #331 on: January 17, 2017, 09:06:53 PM »

I am with you on wanting an X10 Hub as they call these things now. But I want to also retain the macro capabilities I have now. And seeing as I have 2 back-up CM15A's I should be OK. But... I am not seeing any of the new entries interested in much of anything like what we came to expect from X10.

Lucky you...  I already bought one replacement off of ebay, but as my family members seem to be giving up on X10 for newer technologies, I might inherit a couple.

Meanwhile.... I can operate everything from my phone. X10, cameras, ihome, wink, Alexa.... it is all integrated though the phone. Which ain't all bad.

My phone seems becoming an integral component as well.  I'd like to see more robust macro capabilities from these companies themselves (Hue's capabilities still leave a lot to be desired) but apps like Tasker can pull the discrete components together.  It's just more work to set up.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #332 on: January 18, 2017, 02:14:23 AM »

...... My phone seems becoming an integral component as well.  I'd like to see more robust macro capabilities from these companies themselves (Hue's capabilities still leave a lot to be desired) but apps like Tasker can pull the discrete components together.  It's just more work to set up.

I am afraid the little programs where the user has to add little bits of code in folders and such.... is a bit over my head. Which admittedly is frustrating.

My Home Theater Macros work fine with the old fashioned X10 remotes. As do the IR parts of the theater and X10 itself... so I can live with that part with no mods at all. And many other parts of my X10... run flawlessly with no added input from me whatsoever.

But I have one running macro... called "goodnight" that I'd really like to add to the DOT... along with another "new" macro... that I've thought of but also can't integrate yet.

I am NOT complaining. I love this stuff. These "problems" are like little puzzles that need to be solved. This new burst of change and progress in the HA sector.... is great entertainment as far as I am concerned. More and more the tag line I use (below) is more relevant. Our limits are more so than ever before... restricted only by our imaginations.     
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 01:57:40 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #333 on: January 18, 2017, 08:27:24 AM »

I am afraid the little programs where the user has to add little bits of code in folders and such.... is a bit over my head. Which admittedly is frustrating.
Then contact the developer and state what you find confusing, most wish to increase their user base.
Making something easier to use will always get more people at least trying it.

But I have one running macro... called "goodnight" that I'd really like to add to the DOT... along with another "new" macro... that I've thought of but also can't integrate yet.
Is this is a AHP macro it is simple to do (no coding or moving files required)
I am NOT complaining. I love this stuff. These "problems" are like little puzzles that need to be solved.
Puzzles get solved quicker with more people working on them.
However a DIY project is most satisfying when you figure it all out your self! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #334 on: January 18, 2017, 09:25:58 AM »

Then contact the developer and state what you find confusing, most wish to increase their user base.
Making something easier to use will always get more people at least trying it.
This is the problem I am having with Logitech on the Harmony Hub. Their original X10 code library for the Hub was for the IR543A, so contained no House Code control. After some emails defining how the IR543AH worked, they down loaded the full X10 code library to my Hub. Everything worked great from the smartphone. But when I tried to set up a X10 "Activity" (Logitech's term for a Harmony Hub macro) for Alexa control, the Harmony app will not let me put an ON or OFF step in the Activity list because the Logitech "Activities" setup thinks the on-off commands control only the IR543AH, so "ON" is automatically sent at the beginning of any Activity using the IR543AH device and is not part of the step selection in building an Activity. l have not been successful in  conveying to Logitech that the IR543AH is only a continuously powered gateway and the ON-OFF code must be able to be transmitted throughout an X10 "Activity".  So close, yet so far.   B:(
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #335 on: January 18, 2017, 10:54:25 AM »

Wow! I'm amazed that they updated the codes at all.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #336 on: January 18, 2017, 01:53:16 PM »

Wow! I'm amazed that they updated the codes at all.
It surprised me also. However the Blumoo X10 code library always contained all X10 HCs. So Logitech just uploaded a different library to my Harmony.  I confirmed it worked in the smartphone. But then realized the power commands were not available when trying to build an "Activity". I just checked and it looks like they have uploaded the new full house code library, for all users. It is found under their "X10 Pro" manufacturer listing. Their "X10 Wireless" manufacturer listing still has the single house code "A" IR543A library. Perhaps they have fixed or will fix, the exclusion of the power commands...I will have to check.

HA Dave

« Reply #337 on: January 18, 2017, 01:54:21 PM »

This is the problem I am having with Logitech on the Harmony Hub.......

Call the tech support number.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #338 on: January 18, 2017, 01:55:57 PM »

This is the problem I am having with Logitech on the Harmony Hub.......

Call the tech support number.
I may not have to. It appears there is some action taking place.

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #339 on: January 18, 2017, 04:34:54 PM »

It is found under their "X10 Pro" manufacturer listing. Their "X10 Wireless" manufacturer listing still has the single house code "A" IR543A library.
Is there a library for any European IR7243** models? X10 Europe, Marmitek, etc. They copied Laser's IR543AH codes.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #340 on: January 19, 2017, 09:26:25 AM »

Is there a library for any European IR7243** models? X10 Europe, Marmitek, etc. They copied Laser's IR543AH codes.
I will check this afternoon and post findings.

toasterking

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
« Reply #341 on: January 19, 2017, 04:25:35 PM »

If there isn't either a native Google Home/Alexa interface or IFTTT integration, I'm not investing in it.  I've already made the decision that I'm not spending more to simply get my X10 stuff to work like it should.  I'll spend on new capabilities if it extends the life of the stuff I already have, but otherwise I'm finding a new technology that has active development around it.
I'm taking a dubious stance also but for different reasons.  My X10 stuff already works as I think it should and I'm not willing to compromise its functionality.  I doubt that this fabled WiFi device could replace the PC I'm using as a central controller, and even if it can, I don't wish to make all my automation control dependent on something as brittle as WiFi.  I'll be buying this, but just as a toy and a way to support the company.  It should be very useful to a lot of people, but my standards are pretty firmly set at this point.

toasterking

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • We adore chaos because we love to produce order.
« Reply #342 on: January 19, 2017, 04:33:12 PM »

...... My phone seems becoming an integral component as well.  I'd like to see more robust macro capabilities from these companies themselves (Hue's capabilities still leave a lot to be desired) but apps like Tasker can pull the discrete components together.  It's just more work to set up.

Tasker really isn't that difficult.  It has a menu-driven interface for selecting commands and adding parameters to build simple, proprietary scripts, but you don't have to actually write code in a text editor.  It's similar to creating Smart Macros in AHP but there are more commands, more options, and more to tinker with until you get things working right.  It's for Android only, though, and I know you're mainly an iOS guy.  If you have to use an additional phone to make it work, it's probably not the right solution.  :)

HA Dave

« Reply #343 on: January 26, 2017, 08:56:34 AM »

Tasker really isn't that difficult.  It has a menu-driven interface for selecting commands and adding parameters to build simple, proprietary scripts, but you don't have to actually write code in a text editor.  It's similar to creating Smart Macros in AHP but there are more commands, more options, and more to tinker with until you get things working right.  It's for Android only, though, and I know you're mainly an iOS guy.  If you have to use an additional phone to make it work, it's probably not the right solution.  :)

I am an old windows guy actually. I have limited Apple experience... and about 4 years of apple phones. And I have an original airpad (android tablet)... as well as a recent 10" (android) tablet (with a keyboard).

Looking at "Tasker"... it appears to be little more than a android app for a phone.

I am looking for something that can connect/pair with either the Echo/DOT or a HUB (I have a wink) using a Android tablets Blue-tooth. Maybe pretend to be another device/hub. Then maybe use a CM19A (heyU drivers?) to send RF X10 commands. As cheap as these tablets have gotten... it might be a quick easy way to create an X10 hub/CM15A replacement.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #344 on: January 26, 2017, 10:40:39 AM »

I am looking for something that can connect/pair with either the Echo/DOT or a HUB (I have a wink) using a Android tablets Blue-tooth. Maybe pretend to be another device/hub. Then maybe use a CM19A (heyU drivers?) to send RF X10 commands. As cheap as these tablets have gotten... it might be a quick easy way to create an X10 hub/CM15A replacement.
Currently the pairing of the echo/dot via Bluetooth seems to be only for the speakers, Wi-Fi connection is what is required.
I have been able to run a CM19 from an Android TV stick however that required switching the OS to Linux.
Your idea certainly won't be quick or easy for someone that is uncomfortable with anything above point and click.

I too am a old Windows guy and prefer it over Android and prefer Android over Linux.

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 34

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.