Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 34

Author Topic: New x10 Wi-Fi unit  (Read 165541 times)

Tucson

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
Re: New x10 Wi-Fi unit
« Reply #360 on: April 14, 2017, 11:50:51 AM »

First I want to say thank you Tuicemen for all your hard work on the forums and restoring the software, this was a lifesaver.  That's said I guess I'm ready for an update even if it is bad news.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2017, 11:52:44 AM by Tucson »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #361 on: April 14, 2017, 12:07:44 PM »

The last I heard the manufacture was debugging with the latest software. B:(
I know Authinx had gone through several software developers which were holding things up. However I'm not sure if this is a new software from a new developer or just a stall tactic from the developer. :(
Authinx was promised a final production test unit a month ago which never materialized. B:(
I'll press the owner first of next week once again,  >*< however he has stated several times he would keep me in the loop.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #362 on: April 18, 2017, 12:19:34 PM »

The latest news is there is some progress, though I was hoping for better news.
Seems the issue currently is the software syncing which currently takes 8-12 seconds to display status (devices, scenes, rooms).
They want this to be down around 3-5 sec and are reworking the protocol in order to achieve this.
Apparently that is about 80% there. ::) :'

Authinx's position is:
"unless we can have a decent user experience it is not worth releasing this"
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #363 on: April 18, 2017, 05:21:02 PM »

80% complete in only 3 years?  So only 1 more year and they might release it!   B:(

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #364 on: April 18, 2017, 06:00:34 PM »

rofl if we're lucky! B:(
With the amount of time spent on the app and the number of developers they've gone threw I hope it is idiot proof if/when they release it!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #365 on: April 18, 2017, 06:32:32 PM »

What ever happened to "an EXCELLENT user experience"?

3-5 seconds to do what? Figure out a light is on or off and set some icon or instruction accordingly?

And it's being re-worked not tweaked?? Isn't that the same as starting from scratch?

At least I know that at the end of a busy day, I can always visit here for giggles and a grin.

solareclipse

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #366 on: April 18, 2017, 09:01:15 PM »

Any word on Alexa/Google Home integration?  I think if not, this thing is DOA.  If there's ever an A.  rofl

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #367 on: April 19, 2017, 02:03:14 AM »

Any word on Alexa/Google Home integration?  I think if not, this thing is DOA.  If there's ever an A.  rofl

I love my Alexa! And... I was promoting the cloud... LONG before it was cool. There are however.... a lot of people who aren't welcoming to cloud/connected devices. I don't think X10 has gotten a lot of encouragement to become cloud based or Hub centric.

I myself have not yet read even ONE WORD... of an X10 server setup.

There isn't anything wrong with RF remotes, and interfaces for timers and a little memory for programs. And for a lot of people... a remote control light on a timers with a dimmer... is home automation. But I myself want much, much, more. There isn't any reason X10 can't supply both customer types.

But my HA setup... has a life of it's own. And it's either growing... or it's dying. And right now... my setup continues to grow. I really hope X10 comes up with something... before there isn't anything left I need... for X10 to create.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #368 on: April 19, 2017, 11:38:06 AM »

Wait, I'm confused now.  Are they saying that the latency between commanding an action (light on) takes 8-12 seconds?  Or are they saying that it takes ~0.5 seconds to send the command and have it take affect, but another 7.5-11.5 seconds before an icon in the dashboard updates to say it did something?  If it's the latter, I guess I wouldn't care as much.  If it's the former, they lost all their business.   :'

solareclipse

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #369 on: April 19, 2017, 11:55:04 AM »

I love my Alexa! And... I was promoting the cloud... LONG before it was cool. There are however.... a lot of people who aren't welcoming to cloud/connected devices. I don't think X10 has gotten a lot of encouragement to become cloud based or Hub centric.

I don't think beyond the bunch of us old-timers who are familiar with how this stuff used to work without being internet-enabled that any company could release a new HA product that isn't capable of voice integration, or more generically, interfacing with other platforms.  That's a real narrow worldview and while some might opt-out of using the internet connectivity (as many of us opted out of using AHP's server-based components) to not have that as a feature would be a product killer.  You can't measure up against the competition without those features.  I probably wouldn't buy it and I'm already heavily invested in X10.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #370 on: April 19, 2017, 12:13:57 PM »

Any word on Alexa/Google Home integration?  I think if not, this thing is DOA.
Oooh I would not hold my breath on this. I believe for Alexa control all X10 WiFi modules would have to talk to a server at Authinx which then talks to the Alexa servers at Amazon (Tuicemen, help, I'm over my head). With all the trouble Authinx has had getting this out to the field I have a feeling by the time Alexa can interact with the WiFi module, your five year old will be an experienced brain surgeon. Of course this is pure speculation.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #371 on: April 19, 2017, 02:06:16 PM »

Actually if this ever materializes anyone will be able to create a skill to use Alexa, Google voice or any future VR service with it.
There will be no need for a server at Authinx, Skills use the amazon servers
Authinx has stated that the protocol would be released freely for it.

Since you can now control X10 with Alexa with a number of softwares and bridges adding the new protocol will be as simple as a URL call.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #372 on: April 19, 2017, 03:31:35 PM »

There will be no need for a server at Authinx, Skills use the amazon servers
So,  when I tell Alexa to open the curtains Homeseer servers are not in the loop? I guess this does make sense because if I want to run an "Event" (Homeseer macro) directly via Alexa, I must tell Alexa to tell Homeseer to run the event. However if I only want to turn on a table lamp I only need to tell Alexa to turn on the table lamp.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #373 on: April 19, 2017, 03:43:48 PM »

I'm not sure exactly how the Homeseer skill works.
However I suspect Alexa just tells the Homeseer hub what event to do the only cloud activity is from Amazon servers.
My understanding of how Alexa works is:
Alexa to amazon servers to Homeseer skill which is on the Amazon servers to homeseer hub to x10 device.
Homeseer hub tells amazon server command was sent, server tells Alexa what to say.

If Amazons servers are down or your internet Alexa won't work.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #374 on: April 19, 2017, 03:47:30 PM »

There will be no need for a server at Authinx

I'm not so sure about this. When I enabled the Homeseer skill the first thing I had to do was log in to the Homeseer server. From there, I believe Alexa checks in occasionally to check for status, new devices, etc.

As I think and type (not a good thing to do I realize) Alexa cannot access my settings and devices on my PC. It has to go to the Homeseer servers. Maybe once it has learned a device, it can bypass the Homeseer server but one thing for sure, it initially goes to the server and it goes occasionally to check for changes.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 34

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.