Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 34

Author Topic: New x10 Wi-Fi unit  (Read 165542 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: New x10 Wi-Fi unit
« Reply #405 on: June 08, 2017, 11:50:10 PM »

It's really just a question of what part is the consumable. I don't think of HA as a consumable. I do consider bulbs, batteries, etc as consumables. Just like you don't the low away a lamp because the bulb burns out, I don't personally want to throw out a HA controller for the same reason.

Actually... I have thrown away lamps. Once... I even took an old beater (automobile) I had been driving to a scrap yard... and sold it for it's metal value. They let me remove and keep it's battery.

I've owned a lot of cars since I started driving in 1968.... I'll bet most of them have been scraped... or thrown away. And cars are definitely hard goods (aka durable goods). Cheap electronics (HA products) don't meet that description.

From time-to-time I like to restore an old, classic, steel, bicycle. It's an enjoyable hobby. I like to think of myself as being very green and conservative steward of resources. I don't believe the big old clunky soldered together large-parts electronics were any less of a consumable than todays integrated micro-circuitry. Just MHO.

Home Automation is an always changing technology

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #406 on: June 09, 2017, 02:09:45 AM »

I understand all that. My dad restored old cars that most would have crushed. My point is more that a light switch lasts as long as the user wants to keep it. A light bulb lasts a year. I wouldn't consider it acceptable to link the wall switch longevity to the filament. However, that's effectively what smart bulbs do. And yes, I understand that LED purportedly last 50 years. Maybe, but WiFi won't be around that long and so I wouldn't want WiFi as my primary means to operate the bulb. Maybe I'm just approaching geezer prematurely. Now, GET OFF MY LAWN!  ;)

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #407 on: June 09, 2017, 08:46:13 AM »

One advantage of WiFi is that many smartwatches include WiFi and can function as WiFi Remotes to send commands. Some of these watches can handle voice commands (OK Google) which might further simplify interacting with ones HA system.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #408 on: June 09, 2017, 05:08:27 PM »

One advantage of WiFi is that many smartwatches include WiFi and can function as WiFi Remotes to send commands. Some of these watches can handle voice commands (OK Google) which might further simplify interacting with ones HA system.
Yep, I have a Motorola 360 II that connects Bluetooth to phone and Wifi to home router. But is now continually disconnecting from Bluetooth watch, since the recent Android Wear update. Nothing is ever smooth. As I have said before, this techno stuff is only temporary. It will all go away in a few years.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

« Reply #409 on: June 09, 2017, 06:39:55 PM »

..... I wouldn't consider it acceptable to link the wall switch longevity to the filament. However, that's effectively what smart bulbs do. And yes, I understand that LED purportedly last 50 years. Maybe, but WiFi won't be around that long and so I wouldn't want WiFi as my primary means to operate the bulb. Maybe I'm just approaching geezer prematurely. Now, GET OFF MY LAWN!  ;)

rofl

I am well into geezer age. But professionally it was important for me to understand paradigms.... and actively dismantle them in my own environment. I myself found it difficult at first.... I took a couple classes and was dating a psychologist at the time... who was very helpful. But then when I finally came around... I found it enormously liberating.

You are right! As we age we create preconceived concepts, basic assumptions, ways of thinking, and methodologies AKA: Paradigms that form the way things must/should be..... in our own minds. In reality this hinders us. Our paradigms stifle our creativity and dwarf a lifetime of learning. Professionally our paradigms make our best and most experienced people... become obsolete.

Some of these Wifi LED bulbs are as cheap now as $8 on-line. The least I ever paid for a socket rocket was $5 (4 for $20... with a $50 order). And socket rockets usually went when the bulb burned out. Not much has really changed.     

« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 06:41:42 PM by HA Dave »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #410 on: June 13, 2017, 02:50:21 PM »

I just got back word on the in house testing of the new Wi-Fi module.
The word is the testing is going well even better then expected.
Currently there is a issue where if connected and another user logs in it will boot the first user.
This is a issue I had experienced testing something else (thought exactly what slips my mind).
In that case it was a simple software code adjustment to allow multi users.
I'm not sure if many users would want the app on multi phones. ::) :' (enabling duelling x10 control  rofl )

So it sounds like the hardware is working up to par and just the software needs tweaking. :)%
Software tweaking is never done so I don't feel this is a game stopper.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

« Reply #411 on: June 13, 2017, 03:18:19 PM »

..... testing of the new Wi-Fi module........it sounds like the hardware is working up to par and just the software needs tweaking. :)%

They should expect needed fixes and required updates AFTER the introduction... anyway. Here's to hoping they release SOON... and update frequently.

HA Dave

« Reply #412 on: June 13, 2017, 03:19:12 PM »

P.S. I think many would be willing to pay for a chance to beta-test.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #413 on: June 13, 2017, 03:22:58 PM »

rofl I agree with you!
And I'll mention the beta testers option As the more initial eyes on it the better.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

m82a1pa

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
« Reply #414 on: June 13, 2017, 04:13:47 PM »

I'm in, if it becomes an available option.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #415 on: June 13, 2017, 04:39:19 PM »

The test unit they have was hand assembled and they are attempting to get another unit built for testing.
Once it is proven ready for manufacturing there will be a first run which I'm trying to get for beta testers.
However depending on the size of the first run we may all be beta testers. rofl
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #416 on: June 19, 2017, 05:53:48 PM »

So what does this have to do with the new Wifi unit? Is there a module that will connect to this mother ship?

https://www.thehomeautomationstore.com/wijit.html

And why is it not on the x10 website, as both websites are Authinx?

« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 05:55:21 PM by racerfern »

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #417 on: June 19, 2017, 05:57:04 PM »

I'm unclear how the fidget spinner will incorporate into an HA setup.

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #418 on: June 19, 2017, 05:59:06 PM »

I'm unclear how the fidget spinner will incorporate into an HA setup.
I can't think of a serious thing to say. :)%

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #419 on: June 19, 2017, 07:25:41 PM »

From what I understand several things were developed while they worked on the wi-fi module (x10 Hub).
A one way none x10 Wi-Fi module and hub were created.
This is a one way Wi-Fi module and isn't x10 compatible a sample unit is being sent me but I'm unsure if this is the device racerfern links to.
I should have the shipment tomorrow some time so I'll post then with more info.

Authinx was a bit concerned about releasing this as the price is more then many two way Wi-Fi modules currently flooding the market.
The fidget according to the web page is for fiddling, a kids toy, or to remove stress
( perhaps so you forget about your HA problems  :( )
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 08:16:53 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 34

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.