Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 34

Author Topic: New x10 Wi-Fi unit  (Read 165527 times)

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
Re: New x10 Wi-Fi unit
« Reply #435 on: October 09, 2017, 07:48:25 AM »

>*< They could have simply added a $2.40 (retail) ESP8266 to the CM15A and have PLC send/receive, X10 RF send/receive, and WiFi send/receive in one universal controller.
http://www.electrodragon.com/product/esp-01-esp8266-wifi-module/
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #436 on: October 09, 2017, 09:09:58 AM »

Not supporting extended commands would rule it out for us as we have Leviton wall switches that use extended commands.
The Soft Start LM465 comes to mind as using Extended X10 commands and why the latest AHP has two modules lists for dimmers.
Exactly what I pointed out.

>*< They could have simply added a $2.40 (retail) ESP8266 to the CM15A and have PLC send/receive, X10 RF send/receive, and WiFi send/receive in one universal controller.
http://www.electrodragon.com/product/esp-01-esp8266-wifi-module/
Very true however no one knows the inner workings of the CM15 nor the code that is left at the manufacturing plant.
This doesn't mean it still can't be done.
Authinx is already considering an advanced version something like the cm11 and cm15 depending on how well this may do. ::) :'
However I doubt I'll ever see that.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #437 on: October 09, 2017, 09:20:20 AM »

Authinx is already considering an advanced version something like the cm11 and cm15 depending on how well this may do. ::) :'
However I doubt I'll ever see that.
Any grandkids?  :'
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #438 on: October 09, 2017, 10:44:47 AM »

rofl
At the rate this is developing it will be my great grand kids that see the advanced version. :-[
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #439 on: October 09, 2017, 06:54:49 PM »

The basic version has been 4 years coming and still nary an appearance.
By the time the advanced version shows its head I expect humankind will have developed a reliable source of telekinesis, fossil fuels will be a thing of the past or dinosaurs will roam the Earth once more; If any of those things happen then there will be no need to have a computerised widget turn the lights on.
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #440 on: October 09, 2017, 11:36:52 PM »

The basic version has been 4 years coming and still nary an appearance.

Back at the lab 4 to 6 months was typical for a development project like this with several people working on it.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #441 on: October 09, 2017, 11:53:25 PM »

Maybe we just need some one(s) from here at the forums to create a mini-pc or Arduino plug-in/software solution....

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Arduino+X10+controller
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 11:55:38 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #442 on: October 10, 2017, 07:06:19 AM »

Maybe we just need some one(s) from here at the forums to create a mini-pc or Arduino plug-in/software solution....

The $35 Raspberry Pi 3 would be a better (solder-free) choice since it includes WiFi and Bluetooth. Adding RF I/O would be fairly simple but the problem is PLC. Interfacing with the CM15A is difficult at the DIY level - a license for the MCU used in the CM15A was in the thousands range when I looked into it several years back. The CM11A with its serial interface and free API is one choice but pairing the RPi3 with WiFi I/O and Jeff's XTB-232 would be the ultimate solution.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/raspberry-pi-3-model-b/
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #443 on: October 10, 2017, 08:20:59 AM »

The $35 Raspberry Pi 3 would be a better (solder-free) choice since it includes WiFi and Bluetooth. ...... Interfacing with the CM15A is difficult at the DIY level

Apparently Homeseer figured it out... with a DL that is only a few kb's. And a CM15A plugs right into one of the units 4 USB ports. Unfortunately it isn't setup to use a CM19A... which would be a better fit for the simplicity of the setup.   

My only complaint is the Raspberry Pi... isn't being exploited to even close to its potential. I run a 2nd CM15A off a laptop... but with the right software I could do everything with the Raspberry Pi.... or maybe a mini-pc unit.. either way.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #444 on: October 10, 2017, 08:42:26 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Arduino+X10+controller
Several already have created a mini-pc or Arduino plug-in/software solutions.
However the masses aren't looking for DIY solutions, they want something simple (plug & Play).

HA-Bridge is a good example of a multi platform software solution which many run on a Raspberry Pi.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #445 on: October 10, 2017, 09:07:31 AM »

HA-Bridge is a good example of a multi platform software solution which many run on a Raspberry Pi.

IMO, at minimum, this is geek stuff, at the extreme it's for dedicated coders.

This is where AHP clearly was a cut above the rest. It was relatively easy to create macros and maintain an increasingly complicated system. This is also where HomeSeer took that approach and improved it. The HomeSeer events are substantially more involved than AHP stuff, yet still relatively easy to understand and create.

Everything else I've seen pretty much requires a coding degree and/or is painfully complicated. The java based apps are impossibly slow for me. Obviously, there are a bunch of systems I've never tried so there may be something else out there but I doubt there is something with the simplicity and power of the defunct AHP software or the current HomeSeer software. Certainly, most of these other systems are not at all intuitive and that's the key to having a system that's easy to use and understand.

HomeSeer supports X10 but IMO the only reason they support X10 is to get X10 users to embrace their technology, which is slowly happening. There is a very active X10 base of users on the HomeSeer forum and they're not waiting for some Wi-Fi unit, they've moved on.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #446 on: October 10, 2017, 09:27:21 AM »

HomeSeer supports X10 but IMO the only reason they support X10 is to get X10 users to embrace their technology, which is slowly happening. There is a very active X10 base of users on the HomeSeer forum and they're not waiting for some Wi-Fi unit, they've moved on.
Unfortunately Homeseer assumed X10 was dead. X10 protocol gets no support from Homeseer at all. They have washed their hands of X10, even though when Homeseer first came out, X10 was the only remote control game around. Currently one volunteer is trying to keep the X10 plug-in functional, but it has problems (biggest problem is: once an X10 device is created it is set in stone. In most cases you can not go back and change device parameters, you have to create a new device). Most sad.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

racerfern

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
« Reply #447 on: October 10, 2017, 09:41:15 AM »

If that's the biggest problem,  that's not so bad. However on my homeseer / X10 system I can change some of the parameters including the address and the type of device.

Maybe homeseer thought that the x10 user base would jump ship to Z-Wave and they wouldn't have to support X10 and that was a mistake.

Homeseer with mediocre X10 support is still better than a nearly crippled AHP.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #448 on: October 10, 2017, 10:43:43 AM »

IMO, at minimum, this is geek stuff, at the extreme it's for dedicated coders.
Exactly my point.
However the masses aren't looking for DIY solutions, they want something simple (plug & Play).

Homeseer lost all my respect several years ago when I was accused of being a web troll for suggesting and pushing support of the CM15.
Even though I had been (and still am) a member of their forum for several years prior.
I still visit their forum though that is very rare now.
At that time AHP was the only option and very buggy, the SDK had just been released.
I had been running Homeseer 1 and never update.

Homeseer and the AHP SDK pushed me into creating my own alternatives. ;)

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #449 on: October 10, 2017, 10:56:50 AM »

Using the CM15 or CM11 as a modem to communicate to PLC/RF and using an Arduino/RPi/ESP8266/Android stick/Windows whatever seems like a current tech that's not complicated or expensive.  That's where I'm confused about the continued interest in this specific device.  It will allow you to connect your CM15 to a network but won't control anything.  So, you still need your Windows PC running to do advanced things with your CM15.  If you instead went with one of those low power devices listed above, you could use whatever HA software you wanted (Homeseer, HomeGenie, etc) and simply use the X10 device for communication rather than trying to add WiFi to it.  I guess I'm unclear what the benefit is these days with cheap UC devices.  I've been watching this thread for a few years now and that's the question I've waited to see answered.

Q: What is the advantage of the WiFi unit over using a WiFi enabled device in conjunction with a X10 controller (CM15/CM11)?
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 34

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.