Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What system do you recommend to replace my X10 stuff?  (Read 7590 times)

Kiteloop

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
What system do you recommend to replace my X10 stuff?
« on: January 17, 2014, 11:45:43 PM »

I've been a user of X10 for about 10 years and really like it for the most part.  I use door/window security, water sensors in basement, high/low temp alerts, 4 cameras outside and have all alerts/images set up to text my phone/send emails.   I use logmein to check out anything while not home.  Awesome.  Just popped in here today to see if there is anything new and I see that the server is down, so don't touch my install!  Been up and running 24/7 since Windows 7 came out.

Having said that I would like better quality video (pretty bad by todays standards) and more range on sensors/video cameras so I can monitor garage reliably.  Also some better method of arming/disarming from the garage.

I don't know anything about any other systems out there these days.  I know most people on here are quite well versed in automation and I would appreciate some advice on if there are any other systems out there I should look at that will accomplish this?  I don't mind paying a little more, but not really keen on spending 5 times what I did for this system!

Thanks
Kiteloop

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: What system do you recommend to replace my X10 stuff?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2014, 10:04:41 PM »

I am hanging with X10 myself.

Some Home Automation protocols have come and gone over the years. X10 had some problems too. But it appears that X10 is back... and have some new ideas and products in the pipeline. Including the much desirable Wi-Fi controller. I am looking forward to the software servers being back online. Meanwhile.... I just won't change what is working... although I do have a back-up.

I did switch to a hardwired DVR camera setup... a couple years or so ago. I like the better images... and I like being able to check the cameras views on my laptop/tablet/phone. I like capturing images to the cloud as well.

I recently plugged a USB firecracker (mouse shaped device) into an old laptop and bought the X10 commander software. That puts a server software on the laptop and an app on my iPhone. So cool... and handy. I also recently bought a Bluetooth controlled IR remote device. So... I can control my media device with my phone as well.

So... my plan is to keep integrating more stuff into... or in addition to... my X10 setup.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 05:48:17 PM by HA Dave »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

beelocks

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 06:49:33 PM »

IP addressable cameras, but they're 5 times what you paid for X10.
Skylink alarm system, but it's 5 times what you paid for X10.
Insteon Automation, but it's 5 times what you paid for X10.

I still have X10 for automation, but running with clunky Insteon software, as I needed to install something when the  X10 servers went down last year. I will admit to slowly changing out to Insteon modules as the X10 parts die (I've had 3 X10 appliance modules quit in the last 4 months) and I do like that the fact that they have two-way communication and dual band technology

If your X10 aint completely broke, don't fix it because you'll have the same problems in a new variety of flavours.
Although my explanations may not be exactly clear, I do hope for slightly less cloudy.

Kiteloop

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 10:09:47 PM »

Thanks for the tips.  I will just leave the X10 in place and be happy ActiveHome is running without issue.
Fingers crossed that X10 reappears with improvements!

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 11:05:38 AM »

There was a recent PC Magazine article that lists (briefly) some of the alternatives to X10.
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.