Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Door & Windows sensors bad right out of the box  (Read 10065 times)

TURBOGNX

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Door & Windows sensors bad right out of the box
« on: August 16, 2014, 05:54:00 PM »

I have an SC1200 and one of the door/window sensors stopped working even with new batteries. I replaced it with an extra one I had and I was all good again. Now 4 months later the sensor in the same location stopped working so I replaced the batteries and it was fine for about 2 days, then it came up as low battery. I replaced the batteries again but it still came up as low battery (yes I checked the batteries and they are full charge). I replaced the sensor with another extra one (Got about 10 of them in 2009) put the new batteries in and nothing, no light, no chime, it seems to be dead right out of the box. I then checked the remaining 7 brand new sensors and none of them work. Did they have problems with these when I bought them and I just happened to pick the ones that worked to start out with by some fluke?
I have tried brand new batteries of two different brands and checked all of them with a multimeter for voltage and amperage and they all check out fine. How could I possibly get 8 sensors that are DOA? 

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Door & Windows sensors bad right out of the box
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 06:38:31 PM »

DS12A or the earlier DS10A?
The SC1200 kits from X10WTI used both types depending on what they still had in stock.

You mentioned fully charged. Are the batteries a rechargeable type?

« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 06:40:30 PM by Brian H »

TURBOGNX

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 06:41:03 PM »

They are all Model DS10A.

One set was rechargeable, the rest were brand new Rayovac's and Duracell's. I tested all of them to make sure none were low or bad.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 04:20:55 PM by TURBOGNX »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 06:28:56 PM »

Thank you for the added information.
I didn't know that the older DS10As had a low battery message capability.
I don't remember seeing anything on a bad batch of DS10As. Though that could have been when the old X10 Wireless Technologies was in financial troubles before going bankrupt and closing their doors. Only the DS12A is now being produced by the company that bought out the X10 Brand.

TURBOGNX

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2014, 06:51:41 PM »

It just seems weird to me that I could use so many of these sensors with no problem and now every one of the last 8 are bad right out of the box. It seems like I'm missing something.

TURBOGNX

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2014, 08:17:07 PM »

Well it makes no sense at all. I put batteries back in the one I have installed and pressed and held the test button for about 20 seconds and all of a sudden the light on it starts blinking. It's back to working again. :)%

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2014, 09:19:39 PM »

OH yes. Sometimes when the batteries are changed or the sensor is first used. You have to hold the Test Button to initialize it to pick a random ID Number it uses.. Until initialized it will not function.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.