Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Need a new floodlight  (Read 8287 times)

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
Re: Need a new floodlight
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2015, 06:51:15 PM »

I have a second outdoor light that is controlled by 2 MS16A's.  The light is on a WS467.  The motion sensors are on a different HU code, but they could be set to the same.  I use a script to turn the lights on/off and use the motion sensor input as the trigger for the script to know when motion is sensed.  These work ok, but I find the range/view angle limited, the detect a bit slow, and the weatherproofing moderate at best, and the transmission range terrible.  If they meet your needs (range/view angle/environment/transmission range), then that is another option.  But, as dave w pointed out, it does require a transceiver and that module must be within ~20ft if everything is stock.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 08:04:27 AM »

I was thinking.... and maybe incorrectly....

that someone like the famous world known home automater Knightrider had a mod for floodlights. So that a regular floodlight could be modified with an internally mounted relay switch in the floodlight connection box. The relay would trigger a flash module. That way... a light inside a home could be turned on to make the home owner aware of activity outside the home. As well as make a home look lived in... even if no one is at home.

I've recently seen a perimeter detection DIY (Youtube Video) that alert residents using outside hardwired motion detectors and remote door chimes.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2015, 10:26:35 AM »

I installed several hard-wired motion sensors as part of our alarm system to supplement the X10 floodlights.  They run off 12VDC and have a relay contact closure.  They are wired to the DSC alarm system that can issue an X10 command in response to detected motion, but the same can be done with the X10 Powerflash module.

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2015, 12:06:00 PM »

I do have a floodlight hack, but the ice cube relays from rat shack are M.I.A.
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2015, 08:36:03 PM »

Rat Shack (a.k.a. Radio Shark) is M.I.A.  They need to rename themselves "Phone Shack-The Home of Ridiculous  Prices". 
All Electronics http://www.allelectronics.com/ has a decent assortment of relays at good prices.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2015, 09:44:28 PM »

Change is coming from all directions! It isn't that I can't keep up.... it's that I can't predict what direction all this is going to go.

I had two X10 floodlights in service when the company folded temporarily. I took one light down and reconfigured my setup for just one floodlight. I figured I could use the one I removed as a back-up. I have enough X10 "parts" to last decades. If I downsize the functional part of X10.... what I already own should last a lifetime.

But... down sizing my X10 would mean integrating some other flavor of automation product. I just haven't been able to pull the trigger on that target yet.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

birdzeye

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2015, 10:42:14 AM »

I've got 2 brand new x10 PR511 floodlights, never used,  if anyone is interested.
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.