Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: CM15A RF reception range keeps changing  (Read 6997 times)

solareclipse

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
CM15A RF reception range keeps changing
« on: October 06, 2015, 08:44:36 PM »

Dusting off the old forum account, here... 

I've been using my CM15A & AHP for years now.  Recently I seem to be having issues with my RF range changing and I suspect a dying component in the CM15A, but maybe those more knowledgeable can lend their opinion.

My CM15A is in the outlet it's always been in, but sometimes it seems to struggle to pick up any signal, regardless of the transmitter.  I have a slimline switch 5 feet away, it won't work.  A PalmPad remote might work from the same distance, but not from 10' away.  Then the next day...  all my remotes will work fine from their usual locations.  The AHP activity log will show me when the RF signal is reaching it and when it's not, so it's not a powerline signal transmission issue, it's definitely on the RF side.

I unscrewed the CM15A just to see if there was a loose antenna wire or anything like that, but nothing is obvious, leading me to my suspicion of a dying device.  Considering the going rate for CM15As on eBay, I hesitate to jump on buying a replacement so I thought I'd post here first.

Any thoughts?

dhouston

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 37
    • davehouston.org
Re: CM15A RF reception range keeps changing
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 05:24:33 AM »

The RF receiver is a daughterboard which can be replaced if you can solder. You will also need to tune the replacement from 315MHz to 310MHz. See...
http://forums.x10.com/index.php?topic=21000.0
http://davehouston.org/ImproveCM15A.htm
http://davehouston.org/tuning.htm
http://davehouston.org/eggbeater.pdf
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 05:53:16 AM by dhouston »
This message was composed entirely from recycled letters of the alphabet using only renewable, caffeinated energy sources.
No twees, wabbits, chimps or whales died in the process.
https://www.laser.com/dhouston

solareclipse

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 09:05:47 AM »

Thanks, Dave.  I actually landed on your page and read through some of that before I found that these forums were still active.  My soldering skills are pretty basic, but if I get annoyed enough I might give it a try. 

I was encouraged, then discouraged by what I've read about new product development for X10.  I was starting to think of trying to find a different brain to replace the CM15A that would still work with all my installed switches/remotes and provide similar functionality to AHP.  Got excited when I saw the new wifi unit & Android app being tested, then saw that there was no RF capability.  So sad...

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2015, 11:06:49 AM »

The irregular sensitivity sounds a little like outside interference. Have you explored that?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 08:29:47 AM »

There are so many things that can affect RF reception.
Many can be over come just by  moving the Cm15.
The fact that it keeps changing rules out several possibilities.
I have to agree with dave w.

When the RF is reduced look at what else is on that may be using RF verses when the range is OK.
Also try placing the CM15 Higher in the house since RF works best with a clear sight transmission placing it higher may get it out of the line of sight of the offending culprit.
Another option would be the new SR751 RF repeater Although I had good results it tests that would be my last resort before replacing the CM15.
Authinx is slowly upgrading and improving their X10 Pro line  the RF side and PLC side eventually I see a new improved CM15 or maybe the WI-Fi unit will end up being its replacement.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 09:35:26 AM »

Sometimes it can be an unexpected device.

I have some Lighting Science Group DFN A19 W27 V1 120V LED Bulbs. I had to remove from my home.
All the FM radios in the house got serious interference with those bulbs running and worse reception with an Off the Air TV station converter.
As a test I have a low cost RF spectrum analyzer. I see the noise floor increase on the X10 310MHz frequency when they are ON and a large set of spikes on the Insteon 915MHz frequency.

solareclipse

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 04:48:28 PM »

Thanks, guys.  Lately it's been almost entirely not receiving RF signals, unless they're from a PalmPad that I wave around like a magic wand.  I've certainly considered the RF interference issue but didn't really have a good way to test it.  I do have more (Cree) LED bulbs in use than in the past.  Didn't realize they might be giving off RF interference, but they're not always on.  I have moved the CM15 around - it works best in an upstairs hallway outlet, but it's still suffering there. 

What's a cheap RF spectrum analyzer run?

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 01:12:30 PM »

Have you tried a passive antenna mod on the CM15A?
I did it years ago, and noticed a difference immediately.

Take an 18-inch length of wire (make it as straight as you can) - it can be insulated or bare.
Attach it (non-electrically) alongside the CM15A's antenna. I originally used two strips of masking tape, but those were replaced by a sleeve of heat-shrink tubing purely for looks. Line up the wire with the bottom of the CM15A's antenna. That's all there is to it.

In simple terms, the wire helps "catch" the RF signals, and reflect them to the CM15A's antenna.

solareclipse

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2015, 02:16:56 PM »

Have you tried a passive antenna mod on the CM15A?
I did it years ago, and noticed a difference immediately.

Take an 18-inch length of wire (make it as straight as you can) - it can be insulated or bare.
Attach it (non-electrically) alongside the CM15A's antenna. I originally used two strips of masking tape, but those were replaced by a sleeve of heat-shrink tubing purely for looks. Line up the wire with the bottom of the CM15A's antenna. That's all there is to it.

In simple terms, the wire helps "catch" the RF signals, and reflect them to the CM15A's antenna.

Actually, yes.  I've had the wire hanger antenna extension mod since I've had the CM15A.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2015, 03:19:58 PM »

My RF Explorer WS1B1G that does 240-960MHz was $129.00
In hind site I may have gotten a different model. As the add on board for 15-2700Mhz seems to be MIA now.

solareclipse

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2015, 01:47:58 PM »

Another option would be the new SR751 RF repeater Although I had good results it tests that would be my last resort before replacing the CM15.
Authinx is slowly upgrading and improving their X10 Pro line  the RF side and PLC side eventually I see a new improved CM15 or maybe the WI-Fi unit will end up being its replacement.
 >!

Was there an old SR751 as well?  Just curious if the ones floating around on ebay are an old version or a new Authinx module.  Other than a plugin signal bridge I never got into the troubleshooting/range extender products.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2015, 04:06:21 PM »

There was an old model SR731.
It did not work very well.
From what I have seen in reviews. The SR751 is a much improved device.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2015, 04:25:01 PM »

>!

Was there an old SR751 as well?  Just curious if the ones floating around on ebay are an old version or a new Authinx module.  Other than a plugin signal bridge I never got into the troubleshooting/range extender products.
As Brian stated the old version was the SR731, however before purchasing from ebay be sure to contact the seller to be sure they aren't trying to pass off the old version for the new as there is no comparison.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

solareclipse

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2015, 05:17:25 PM »

Thanks guys.  Same seller is selling on Amazon, so I'm going to give it a shot.  I'll let you all know how it works out.  >!

solareclipse

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2015, 07:53:06 PM »

Got the SR751 today, plugged it in, and it seems to be working pretty well.  Most of my slimline switches are now triggering again.  Still doesn't lead me to the root of the issue with the CM15A, but the SR751 must be sending a powerful enough RF signal to overcome the interference or antenna issue or whatever it is.

Now I'm debating adding a PLC01 to the mix and seeing if that fixes my few powerline signal issues.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.